Interview with police chief tomorrow

This is a discussion on Interview with police chief tomorrow within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There's nothing written in the laws that says you have to notify, but I've never gotten an answer as to whether or not your permit ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interview with police chief tomorrow

There's nothing written in the laws that says you have to notify, but I've never gotten an answer as to whether or not your permit comes up when they run your plate.

2. Remove Ads

I have talked to local police from 3 different towns in Hartford area Windsor,Bloomfield & West Hartford. Asked the question about my pistol permit info when they run my drivers lic. & plates, they all said it doesn't automatically come up. They have to switch screens and check if needed. I'm not sure about the State Troopers.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Thanks for the info. At least I now know that do actually have access to that information.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    "If you get pulled over tell passengers to sit still and make officer aware of gun and where it is located."
    Is this a suggestion by the Chief? I had thought in Ct. you didn't have to declare?
    They way he presented it I felt it was just a courtesy but not a requirement or law.

Scenario 1 You go to range shoot and then put gun in glove box. You forget it is there. You get pulled over for a minor traffic violation (broken tail light or something) Officer asks for license and registration. You go to glove box and officer sees gun.

Scenario 2 When you get pulled over the first thing you do is say officer before we start this interaction I have a gun located (glove box, trunk, under seat...) What do you want me to do with the gun to ensure that we are both safe....

I had to do the 3 letters from non-family members also.

That sucks about the letters. What's a new resident to do, like myself when I first moved here? The only people you'd know are some co-workers and maybe a few neighbors and that would be superficial at best. Who would recommend someone they barely know to own and carry handguns, especially in this libtard state? Co-workers and brand new neighbors are the LAST people I'd want to know that I own guns and intend to carry them.

As for notifying the officer, I never put my gun in the glove box and the only time I'd notify him is if he demanded I exit my vehicle.

You might want to check, but I believe Ct. is the same as Ma. No weapons in glove box, if it's in the pass. compartment it has to be under your direct control. I'm one of the few on this forum who if it's not the law will not notify. If I did, just a suggestion, hand over your CCW with your lic. and smile while you wait for instruction. Stating "I have a gun" might not go over well.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Never seen anything in the written laws about how you have to store/carry a handgun if you have the state pistol permit. And I've been through them many, many times. Only restriction I know of is rifles must be unloaded.

Please let me add to above post to clarify, If you are the only one in the car then the weapon is anywhere in pass comp. I believe is considered under your direct control. If you have a passenger (un-lic.) and its in the glovebox it may be a problem. Also I think it's OK to lock up your weapon in car in Ct. unlike Mass.

Still...never ever read anything about storage/carry condition of a handgun in a car except that it's prohibited, as in Class D felony, to do it without the state permit. Show me a link to the actual law that addresses storage/carry with a passenger because I've been through the laws many, many times and never saw anything addressing that.

One thing I don't know in CT is if you car is considered an extension of your home, like it is in many states. I leave handguns out all the time (no kids) and my wife doesn't have her pistol permit yet. Nothing illegal about that and she can even handle them. Not saying she could handle them in the car, but I see nothing illegal about having an unsecured handgun in the car with her as long as she doesn't touch it.

I believe CT law states it needs to be under my control but I'd have to look it up to be sure. IMHO in the glove box is NOT. What if a kid (I don't have any) sat in the passenger seat and opened the glove box? Same for keeping it in the back seat.

Personally unless I'm in a state where it is required by law I probably won't volunteer that I'm carrying. If asked I'll answer truthfully.

I do see the police chief's point though. If I tell the officer about the gun instead of him finding out about it it'll be less stressful for the officer.

Since my carry gun is always on my person, the glove box thing is never an issue. I think it's a stupid idea anyway. Again, the only time I'd notify is before I stepped out of my car, if asked.

Quote Originally Posted by unisonic12 View Post
    That sucks about the letters. What's a new resident to do, like myself when I first moved here? The only people you'd know are some co-workers and maybe a few neighbors and that would be superficial at best. Who would recommend someone they barely know to own and carry handguns, especially in this libtard state? Co-workers and brand new neighbors are the LAST people I'd want to know that I own guns and intend to carry them.

As for notifying the officer, I never put my gun in the glove box and the only time I'd notify him is if he demanded I exit my vehicle.
    Nothing said that the letters had to be local. When asking people for letters I though. HMMMM Do I want my neighbor who doesn't even know my last name or someone who is a gun owner who lives out of state and has known me for over 10 years.

Here is the State of Connecticut Statutes website: http://search.cga.state.ct.us/dtsear..._statutes.html

Sec.29-38 Weapons in Vehicles is toward the bottom of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by tszpara View Post
    Nothing said that the letters had to be local. When asking people for letters I though. HMMMM Do I want my neighbor who doesn't even know my last name or someone who is a gun owner who lives out of state and has known me for over 10 years.
    Maybe that's for your town, but I know some require the letters come from CT state residents and that's what I was basing my premise on.

I wouldn't submit the letters anyway because the BFPE has stated that a town can NOT require anything beyond what the state requires and they can NOT deny or delay a permit if they are not submitted. If they gave me any flak, I'd railroad it up the chain of command. Maybe give them a dose of ol' Ralph Sherman.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Here is the State of Connecticut Statutes website: http://search.cga.state.ct.us/dtsear..._statutes.html

Sec.29-38 Weapons in Vehicles is toward the bottom of the page.
    Linky no worky...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links