Interview with police chief tomorrow

This is a discussion on Interview with police chief tomorrow within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi Newbie here. I've been waiting since the summer. 3 sets of fingerprints and finally tomorrow I have an appointment with the chief of police. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hi

Newbie here. I've been waiting since the summer. 3 sets of fingerprints and finally tomorrow I have an appointment with the chief of police.

What type of questions should I expect?
    Anything to say or not to say?

For example what do you say when asked why do you want a permit?

I work for the government and wouldn't be able to carry 5 days a week anyhow since I can't carry onto the premises. I figure I'll mention that as I'm sure it'll help.

Thanks
    Tony

What a pain, sure glad I live in a "must issue" state!
    I'd ask him why he carries one? Certainly not for offense, must be for defense!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Good luck. I'd just be straight forward with my answers, and hope.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I guess I would be up front...for immediate personal self defense and my family's safety absolutely only in times that a LEOs direct availability would be time constrained...at home and on the road.

Good luck

Rick

Tell the truth. I want a permit so that I can protect myself in situations where I have no good alternative to fighting and there's no time to wait for the police. Come across as a responsible and safety-conscious guy and not some kind of vigilante with a grudge and short fuse.

VIP Member
    tszpara. I don't understand You got to meet with the Chief to get a interview for the permit. I live in CT and just done the paperwork, fingerprints etc. and got it.
    What Town do You live in ?.

An interview with the chief?

Huh?

I'm an attorney in CT and I've never heard of them doing this. When did this become part of the process?

East Haven.

PITA. Paperwork submitted 8-13. 9-10 had to get re fingerprinted. Supposedly the state couldn't read them. 9-24 got fingerprinted for third time.

Just got call today for interview with Chief of police.

I look at is as just another hoop I have to jump through.

Quote Originally Posted by tszpara View Post
    Hi

What type of questions should I expect?
    Anything to say or not to say?

For example what do you say when asked why do you want a permit?
    Because a permit to carry pistols and revolvers is the only way you can purchase a handgun so that you can participate in your new favorite sport - IDPA & bulls-eye pistol shooting.

Gosh, that target shooting under time pressure is so much fun, and while you aren't that good yet, you've seen some guys down on the range and they were so careful, but wow, were they accurate and quick. Those guys with the .22lr pistols were like, super accurate.

You'd like to join, but you need a permit to carry to be able to buy a pistol in the State of CT.

Oh, yeah...and you just want to get a little .38 J-frame for a pocket gun. Maybe one of them classic Colt Agents. Just in case you ever need it.

Also mention how you feel running away and calling the police is a very smart thing to do when you can do it, but regretfully, that isn't always possible...much as you wish it was.

I'd avoid mentioning the second amendment, how police can't be everywhere and you need to be able to protect yourself, how you want to be able to defend yourself against your government...

Just eat your pride, say the right thing and nod at the appropriate times.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Because a permit to carry pistols and revolvers is the only way you can purchase a handgun so that you can participate in your new favorite sport - IDPA & bulls-eye pistol shooting.

You'd like to join, but you need a permit to carry to be able to buy a pistol in the State of CT.

Also mention how you feel running away and calling the police is a very smart thing to do when you can do it, but regretfully, that isn't always possible...much as you wish it was.

I'd avoid mentioning the second amendment, how police can't be everywhere and you need to be able to protect yourself, how you want to be able to defend yourself against your government...

Just eat your pride, say the right thing and nod at the appropriate times.
    Thanks. I'll definitely keep my mouth quite about 2nd amendment and such.

I'll probably mention that I plan to take more courses and get more training. (Which I do) I'm sure that will help.

VIP Member
    Well said Mitchell.

Good luck with it all. No doubt....don't go nervous or apprehensive. Be your normal, every day self. A small hurdle for you...you have harder tasks in every day life.
    Question: "why do you want a permit?"
    Answer: Have you read the newspaper today? Did you see what happened to so-and-so last week? I've seen the headlines and the possible cuts for local law enforcement, and I figured I wouldn't burden them when it comes to my safety or continued existence.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Good luck with it all. No doubt....don't go nervous or apprehensive. Be your normal, every day self. A small hurdle for you...you have harder tasks in every day life.
    Question: "why do you want a permit?"
    Answer: Have you read the newspaper today? Did you see what happened to so-and-so last week? I've seen the headlines and the possible cuts for local law enforcement, and I figured I wouldn't burden them when it comes to my safety or continued existence.
    If someone answered my question with a question during an interview...they would be at the bottom of the stack. Interviewing 101.

Rick

Thanks to all for your help.

Well it wasn't as bad as I thought.

There were 2 other people there also. Chief brought all three of us in at the same time.

Basically a 30 minute pep talk. Talked about the law and when we can shoot. (No warning shots, shots in the air etc) Safety, locking your gun up. If you get divorced and argue with wife she may say he pointed a gun at me. (Even if you didn't) If you get pulled over tell passengers to sit still and make officer aware of gun and where it is located. I'm paraphrasing but you get the idea.

Basic stuff that anyone who spent 20 minutes on this forum should know but I'm sure there are some dumba$$es out there who need to hear it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links