Waiting period

This is a discussion on Waiting period within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a friend who wants to go to the city (we are hours from the nearest one) and stay for 3-4 days, pick up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waiting period

Waiting period

I have a friend who wants to go to the city (we are hours from the nearest one) and stay for 3-4 days, pick up a new 45 while at the Bass Pro shop. I understand there is a 5 day wait period...is there any way to get this started before she leaves for the city so that she can complete the sale while there?

Or can she do the check, pay for it and have them ship it to her?

2. Remove Ads

There is no waiting period in Texas......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I understand there is a 5 day wait period...
    For firearms purchases? Is that just a Texas thang? I don't know....I guess I'm asking also. I thought it was a nationwide 24 hours max for the 'instant check system'. I don't have to wait for them to call in my yellow sheet info whenever they get around to it anymore. My CHL gets me out the door with my purchase instantly. I remember a national 3 day waiting period during the AWB years or something like that.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    For firearms purchases? Is that just a Texas thang? I don't know....I guess I'm asking also. I thought it was a nationwide 24 hours max for the 'instant check system'. I don't have to wait for them to call in my yellow sheet info whenever they get around to it anymore. My CHL gets me out the door with my purchase instantly. I remember a national 3 day waiting period during the AWB years or something like that.
    The FBI website says this:

Federal Bureau of Investigation - CJIS-National Instant Criminal Background Check System Fact Sheet

The NICS is a computerized background check system designed to respond within 30 seconds on most background check inquiries
    Is there someplace in the law where it says 24 hours?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

There is no waiting period in Texas if the NICS returns clean. Go spend!

The waiting period in Texas depends greatly on the dexterity of the cashier to be able to call the ATF and answer their questions based on the form you fill out at the counter.

Other than that painful 10 minutes, you are good to go. Now when you get your CHL the wait time is drastically reduced.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

If there are any hits on your name then it will be delayed up to, I believe, 2 days. I had to wait for about 5 days since I caught a holiday weekend.
    Paco, getting approved for a handgun does not expedite the CHL approval process. Please visit TexasCHLforum.com There are people who have had "high security" clearances but still had same or worse license approval times.

Dave, you have a PM.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Waiting period? It should take longer to fill out the form than it does to get a good answer back on the phone, if everything else is good to go.

What guns? I was taking a boat ride the other day and someone tossed them overboard, thinking they were the anchors. I don't have any guns.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Ten minute waiting period in TX?
    ...as it should be everywhere, maybe even a little quicker!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Ten minute waiting period in TX?
    ...as it should be everywhere, maybe even a little quicker!
    Here in VA we have the 10 second waiting period. That is the time required to write

Yes
    No
    No
    No
    No
    No

on the ATF form
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by texasccw View Post
    If there are any hits on your name then it will be delayed up to, I believe, 2 days. I had to wait for about 5 days since I caught a holiday weekend.
    Paco, getting approved for a handgun does not expedite the CHL approval process. Please visit TexasCHLforum.com There are people who have had "high security" clearances but still had same or worse license approval times.
    I believe what he was trying to say was that if you have your CHL you get your handgun faster, not the other way around.

I have purchased two pistols since getting my CHL and both sales were approved in less time than it takes me to get cash from some ATMs.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    I have a friend who wants to go to the city (we are hours from the nearest one) and stay for 3-4 days, pick up a new 45 while at the Bass Pro shop. I understand there is a 5 day wait period...is there any way to get this started before she leaves for the city so that she can complete the sale while there?

Or can she do the check, pay for it and have them ship it to her?
    I bought a pistol from Academy in South Austin and didn't have to wait at all. They called in the background check and I walked out with my new pistol.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    In Nevada, until just a few months ago, having a CCW permit did away with the background check. Unfortunately, the ATF found some problem with Nevada's permit procedure, and they now require the background check for us. It was nice for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by texasccw View Post
    Paco, getting approved for a handgun does not expedite the CHL approval process.
    Right, I never said it did. I said having your CHL expedites the process of buying a gun since they don't have to call it in.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links