Defensive Carry banner

How many magazines?

1K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Dal1Celt 
#1 ·
Saving up to get my first pistol (Beretta PX4 SC at this point) and I was wondering how many magazines you all think are good to have on hand for a CCW/range gun?

I was going to get a Makarov as my first pistol, but the trouble finding magazines/ammo for it has kind of turned me off even though I still love them.

#2 ·
Four to six mags for each pistol...but that's just me...:comeandgetsome:

#7 ·
Oh and how about rifles? As many as you can possibly get I guess?

Also, I know through reading that the magazine spring can wear out if left unloaded for extended periods, but how long does a typical magazine last while being used say once a week?

It's not necessarily the challenge, but more the future availability that concerns me.

I fully intend to get one, just not as my only gun to have for at least 6 months.

#8 ·
It's not necessarily the challenge, but more the future availability that concerns me.

I fully intend to get one, just not as my only gun to have for at least 6 months.
We are getting off topic, and I didnt mean to jack your thread... but Beretta has a history of phasing out pistol models and not supporting the old models. I was thinking of the future when I made my statement.

Rifle mags... I'd say ten or so would be a good number, but again, more is better. Mag spring wear from expansion and contraction, not sitting loaded or unloaded.

#11 ·
Six for starters, work you way up to ten.

#13 ·
Three is a minimum for me. I have three for most of my handguns, so that if I decide to carry one of them I can have one in and carry two in a double mag holder.

For my 1911's I have 7 each. That's because they are my JIC TEOTWAKI guns.
Of course I buy extra every now and then just to add to the stock, but three is a good starting point IMO. If I could afford it, I'd have 10 for each one, but alas I'm poor.

#14 ·
I keep 3-5 for each gun.

Beretta, has no idea on the PX4 SC - 9 mm mags..... believe me after 7 phone calls... they are still trying to figure out what the part number is. 3 guaranteed "we'll find out and call you back" .. and no call backs to date.
So, good luck.

If you find some, let me know.... so I can get one from them too.

If it's a 9mm, I would get as many as you think you need.... they are 13 round mags, and if they change things back to the 10 shot mag limit, you won't be able to get them then.

#15 ·
However many you can reasonably afford. Magazines are consumables. When they go bad, you fix 'em, when they can't be fixed, you throw them away.

-B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.