Gun Shops

This is a discussion on Gun Shops within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have lived in the same area for about 17 years now. Most gun shops in this area has some guy behind the counter, that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Shops

Gun Shops

I have lived in the same area for about 17 years now. Most gun shops in this area has some guy behind the counter, that looks down his nose at you. Then speaks to you like you don't know squat about firearms. I have only found three places in my area that isn't that way.

I found a shop close to my business, where the guys are nice and informative on features and ballistics without coming off like a "know it all". For that reason alone, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to help them pay the overhead.

How many of you will deal with a jerk to get a good price?

(I bet some of you have good stories)

2. Remove Ads

No jerks for me, I'll pay the extra for good customer service. Stopped at a shop once with a sign outside that said 20% off everything in store. Put about $250 worth of ammo on the counter. Clerk rang it up with no discount and told me it didn't include ammo! Walked out to never return and even worse for them,I let everybody I can know about it.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I don't get a chance to go to a gun store very much (or get out very much as I'm Mr. Mom to 3 toddlers), but the GS closest to me, I've been to two or three times. I've even gone through them to get my CCW and they just don't strike me as friendly or inviting.

Take a look at the editorial in the new issue of G & A as it addresses this exact issue.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Ron
    That was my experience in my area until I discovered a women who operates a barber shop and a gun dealership in the back of the shop. (Yes, you read this correctly)

She is knowledgable, friendly, works with her customers on price, and, to top it off, is a Kimber Master Dealer. When I was having some problems with my new Ultra Carry ejecting the shells back at me, she immediately said that the gun needs to go back to Kimber, and sent it back at no cost to me.

Based on my prior experiences dealing with jerks at other shops, I feel very fortunate to have found her.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    That was my experience in my area until I discovered a women who operates a barber shop and a gun dealership in the back of the shop. (Yes, you read this correctly)

She is knowledgable, friendly, works with her customers on price, and, to top it off, is a Kimber Master Dealer. When I was having some problems with my new Ultra Carry ejecting the shells back at me, she immediately said that the gun needs to go back to Kimber, and sent it back at no cost to me.

Based on my prior experiences dealing with jerks at other shops, I feel very fortunate to have found her.
    I didn't know Lima was a barber. :)
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Being only 23 years old, every time I walk in to a gun store I am instantly looked at like I know nothing, which may be true. In College Station I bought my first gun for a higher price then another store in town, just so when I walked in they talked to me like a person, not an idiot.
    NRA Member

Sure, but does she give a good haircut?!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Rude gunshop owners are short on time. The internet is taking over. Not long ago, we had no choice. The smartest FFL's now are happily accepting transfers for a huge profit (100%) and concentrate on selling ammo and accessories. I do always offer them the sale if they can match the price out the door. It seldom happens.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I've dealt with jerks in the past. Thing is....once you put them in their place, let them know you are serious, and more than likely produce CASH money to seal a deal, they aren't so much jerks any more. Sometimes you'll have to find your way inside. Talk is cheap and it goes both ways. Would you rather deal with a part-time retiree, or a 26 year-old know-it-all? Once you break ground, you'll gain some more respect. The personnel at gun shops don't really have to gain your respect....after all, they have what you want. If there are many shops in a small area, things are totally different.

Gun shops are their own worst enemy. We customers walk in for a reason. If they mistreat us, or jack the prices, we simply walk away, never to return. There will always be FFL's that welcome us for transfers.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I recently walked into a gun store and got the look-down-the-nose treatment. They had a used G17 for $450, and I was seriously considering buying it. When I asked to see it field stripped they told me no, because "you can't do anything bad to a Glock anyway".

I left. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of places nearby which have a large stock other than this place. Maybe it's irrational, but I don't really want to buy a used gun without seeing how it looks on the inside
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Sure, but does she give a good haircut?!
    Yeh, I know it sounds strange, but her husband and another guy who works there, do most of the cutting. She does some, but works mostly in the gun shop.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Yeh, I know it sounds strange, but her husband and another guy who works there, do most of the cutting. She does some, but works mostly in the gun shop.
    Anyone ever complain about their haircut? (Bet not...)

To the OP...
    I do not give my gun/ammo to jerks...I find nice gun shops with great owners and help them pay off their bills...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I know exactly what your talking about. There is a gun store here in Athens Ga. that me and my dad have went to for years and it has always been the same, you go in and they just stare at you like they're thinking what are you doing here, and it take about 30 min. before any one will even ask you if you would like to take a look at anything, and when you tell them what you would like to see they more than less say you don't want that you want a glock.

Now there is nothing with glock but they push them like they get some kind of a bonus at the end of the year for selling so many of them. I don't shop there it doesn't matter what there prices are like. Now the gun store that I shop at is in Loganville Ga. When I walk in the owner calls me by name like he has know me my whole life, and I have only been shopping there since 2006. I didn't even know the store was there until my wife told me about it, and they have no problem if you just want to look around. That store was a great find and I don't mind dropping a couple of extra bucks to help keep him in business.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

I have dealt with my share of idiots. There have been times when I just walked in and told them I already knew exactly what I wanted and the only thing they were going to talk me out of was their store.

There have also been times I walked into a place I liked and told them " I have this much cash in my pocket. Show me something I can't live without."

( Just a word of warning, never say that last line to the Snap On or Matco man.)
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links