Lights On Weapon--Tactical?

This is a discussion on Lights On Weapon--Tactical? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have yet to hear what the tactical advantage of lighting your weapon is. Isn't it a Here I Am--Shoot Toward The Light? If I ...

Thread: Lights On Weapon--Tactical?

Lights On Weapon--Tactical?

I have yet to hear what the tactical advantage of lighting your weapon is. Isn't it a Here I Am--Shoot Toward The Light? If I was a BG out in the dark with my night vision goggles and/or tritium sights it seems that I'd have the advantage, no?

What is the tactical reason behind this practice?
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

2. Remove Ads

Because I will not shoot any target before I identify it. The use of the rail mounted light allows me to light up and temporarily blind my target and still have two hands on my weapon.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Lead Moderator
    Many reasons , bottom line though, for defensive shooting you must be able to identify your target. Proper use of the light doesn't mean leaving it on constantly.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I have yet to hear what the tactical advantage of lighting your weapon is. Isn't it a Here I Am--Shoot Toward The Light? If I was a BG out in the dark with my night vision goggles and/or tritium sights it seems that I'd have the advantage, no?

What is the tactical reason behind this practice?
    Take a defensive firearms course (pistol, rifle, shotgun, whatever) with a low-light shooting component. All of your questions will be answered.

-B

Weapons lights are very tactical, and handy, if you know how to use them.

The purpose is to identify your threat, and leave you both hands to properly fire your weapon

Also if you have NVG's, and I shine the surefire on my weapon in your face, your NVG's won't do you one bit of good.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    As already stated, target identification is the goal. Quite often, you know someone is there, and that someone knows you are there, but there is not enough light to know who is who.

Of course, searching in the darkness is best NOT done with a weapon-mounted light. That is the job of one's primary, hand-held light. My favorites are the Surefire M3 Milleniums and M2 Centurion. The light on the weapon is a Surefire X200. Yeah, I like Surefires; they hold up over time, and have good customer service. FWIW, I have been a night-shift big-city police patrolman for 25 years. I do not claim to be an expert at anything, but I have much experience using flashlights and weapons together.

Administrator
    WML is not a flashlight. Night sights or NVG's are two very different tools for different purposes. Please tell me you don't have NVG's waiting at your bedside in case of a burglary.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Take a defensive firearms course (pistol, rifle, shotgun, whatever) with a low-light shooting component. All of your questions will be answered.
    Seconded.
    The reasons for as much will/should become super obvious.

If it's a longgun then weapon mount is the way to go for obvious (or will be obvious) reasons.
    As with a pistol it's on or off the gun though I personally prefer off.

And agreed, the illuminator is not a spotlight...it's an illuminator for the moment.
    IMHO far more important and functionally useful than night sights.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

During a 4-day SD pistol course, I decided against a light attached to my pistol...I like the two separate...just my preference.

Stay armed...carry a SureFire...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm old school, but I hate a weapon mounted light. I like to be able to separate my light source from my weapon. I think we're just starting to see negligent shootings with the light beam basically being the point of aim. In my home, all the bedrooms and bathrooms are down a long hallway from the entryway. I've got a motion detector and spotlight aimed down that alley of hell should someone enter. It's on a simple light switch that I turn on when I go to bed and turn off my bedroom light. If that baby switches on in the night, there is no doubt. I need no flashlight. If my college aged daughters come home, they know to call first, plus there is a sliding bolt on the inside of the door. If it busts open, there is someone up to no good. I've tried it out. You are completely blind when that million candlepower light hits you in the eye.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    FWIW, y'all might want to go to Surefire's website, and check out the Combat Rings. The concept was developed by a federal air marshal, named Graham, who was not allowed to use a WML on duty, and fits any flashlight with a 1" diameter barrel. It allows a better support-hand grip than the Rogers/Surefire technique with the grommet-equipped lights. I am not saying this eliminates the usefulness of a WML, but it certainly helps in the manipulation of a handgun and light together.

There is an article on the newstands now, in the magazine that is a collaboration between Surefire and Guns&Ammo magazine, written by the inventor of the Combat Ring. I have no affiliation with these commercial entities, except that I am a very happy customer of Surefire products.

It is actually three products in one package; one is a simple sleeve/ring with a collar, one has a hook added, and one has a loop added. The loop is the one featured in the article, and is the one I prefer.

Links