Tell me about Rossi guns: MERGED

This is a discussion on Tell me about Rossi guns: MERGED within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone own a rossi and how do you like it? Is it reliable? How does it shoot?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about Rossi guns: MERGED

Tell me about Rossi guns: MERGED

Does anyone own a rossi and how do you like it? Is it reliable? How does it shoot?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    You'll find that Rossi's run the full range. Some people are going to tell you they are good shooters and some will tel you that they are junk.

Over the years Rossi has had some serious quality control issues. Sometimes you'll get a decent one, other times not. Its a roll of the dice if you don't know what you are looking at.

On a whole they are not nearly as well built as a S&W or Ruger, but depending on its use and what I've said above, they can be just fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I vote for Rossi. I have a 971 2" That works just fine. When it has been taken apart for cleaning it seems to be built as good as a S&W. This Mdl. looks very close to a S&W Mdl. 66. I all so had a 38 snub that I had no problems with. It had a pinned barrel and seemed to be well built. It was passed on to a female Friend in need of a firearm. I have seen a few come threw the gun shop I work at. The older ones seem to have a nicer finish. I only have personal experience with the Two that I have owned.

I have a Rossi 642. I bought it because it was inexpensive and looked very good. It still looks very good but I have had problems with it. The reason I had problems was obvious as soon as I completely disassembled the gun and was able to see what was inside. The workmanship and quality of the metals and the very disign of the gun is inferrior to the smith and wesson 686 I own. I have had both weapons completely disassembled and the difference in all three areas mentioned above is impossible to overstate.

Is the Rossi a piece of junk? No. Would I trust it with my life? Absolutely not. It is just a very inferrior piece of machinery in every way. My smith, on the other hand is a finely crafted piece of gunsmith art which if properly cared for will function dependably longer than me, my son, or my grandson will live. My advice to anyone is to save some additional money and buy a tool that you can depend on.

They are an import who copied Taurus, who is an import who copied...
    Get the idea?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    I got my daughter a Rossi revolver for her first handgun. It's not the most well made gun, but it fires every time. The trigger pull was awfull, really hard. I had it worked on and it's fine now.
    Ya get what ya pay for. They are lower priced guns but they will go bang....

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shingman2345 View Post
    Does anyone own a rossi and how do you like it? Is it reliable? How does it shoot?
    I only have owned one Rossi that I purchased very cheap from a friend who was selling off several guns. It has functioned perfectly and is an accurate gun. Is it as well made as my Smiths?, likely no but it works well, and generally has shot just as as well, and has been reliable. Its certainly not the best firearm I own but its performance to date is acceptable.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    I have a Rossi snubby and it is a nice shooter. The firing pin broke and I sent it to Taurus to have it replaced.
    The trigger pull was something awful but I bought a Wolff spring set for J frame and it is OK now. As Sixto said, you will run the gamut quality wise. I do expect quality will improve now that it is fully owned by Taurus.

Here is Mrs Miggy with the Rossi.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I have a friend who has a 357 snub. It shoots pretty good, and he's very happy with it.

I have a 461 .357 snub, it does the job, and is relatively accurate. I haven't had any problems with mine. It was made within the past 3 years though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My wife purchased a Rossi 38 as her first handgun. She like the way it fit her so that is what we got. I have shot the gun alot and must say that I actually like it alot. It has been reliable and accurate and carries well. One thing earlier in this post that struck my curiosity will a j frame spring kit fit the 352.

Thanks!

Thank you all for comment,s on the Rossi! I think I will stay with the Smith and Wesson.

I have a Rossi 461 .357 revolver that I purchased from my brother-in-law. He had it for his wife, she never fired it, said she didn't like it, was too heavy, etc. got it for $150. I've fired it one time and now carry it in my truck as a backup. Can't say as I like it or dislike it, because the "price was right" for waht I wanted it for.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Tell me about Rossi guns.

Does anybody here have any HARD EVIDENCE about the quality of Rossi revolvers? They've got a really spiffy look'n .38 Spec. snubby for about $350 but that just seems like one of those "too good to be true" situations. A QUALITY revolver for $350? I'd like to believe it but I'm something of a suspicious old fart and that price raises a red flag with me.

jgp
    No "hard evidence", whatever that means to you, but I have one myself and would recommend it to anyone on a budget. Do I want the $700 S&W? Sure. Do I think it would do the job any better? No.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links