4" H&R Model 732 revolver .32 S&W

This is a discussion on 4" H&R Model 732 revolver .32 S&W within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My parents have always relied on shotguns (double barrel and pump) for home SD. My father was a fire fighter during the Detroit riots . ...

Thread: 4" H&R Model 732 revolver .32 S&W

4" H&R Model 732 revolver .32 S&W

My parents have always relied on shotguns (double barrel and pump) for home SD.

My father was a fire fighter during the Detroit riots . It was suggested that fire dept arm themselves. My dad was never big on handguns, esp given his occupation, as he strongly felt that emergency responders (like fire fighters) should not be LE. My father is also a Korean War vet, and knew enough to be armed given the unique situation and role he was going to be placed in. By the time he got to the gun shop, there was not a lot left. So he purchased a H&R Model 732 revolver .32 S&W.

At my father's request, I took it in for repairs a few weeks ago. It did require some works and a part to be ordered (total $50). I knew we were basically repairing a gun to about the sell price (I think the value hovers around $150, and you could sell to a dealer for $50). But cost is not really the point. The pistol has a value beyond what someone would offer.

The point of my thread is just to see if anyone out there feels like chating about a once often issued caliber. It is hard to deside the SD value of the firearm. I know that I would never CC it, just to many other options.

I tend to always have at least a box of ammo for any gun I own. I don't own this gun (and hope not to for many year). Further, it may get passed down to another. But I had the thought, would I even keep ammo around for the gun if I owned it.

I've just never been able to get myself to buy anything less than a .38 Spl +P or 9mm for SD (CC, home SD, etc).

I've seen Kel-Tec P-32 or some .22 Mag revolvers that looked interesting, easy to hide away, and I can't argue would make a good back up (or back up back up).

I'm sure many of us on this forum have a though about or have hidden / tucked away a few guns here or there for the just in case.

But I'm stuck on this revolver .32 S&W. Very accurate round. More power then a .22 LR out of a same size barrel. Was once the police standard.

Just looking for chatter.

2. Remove Ads

I could enjoy any of several old H&R revolvers. A cousin of mine kept a 2-inch snub H&R .22 rim fire in his tackle box for years. This was the cheapest variation of the H&R .22 revolver line yet was a lot of fun for afternoon plinking if the fish weren't biting. I recall some good times had with that H&R. It was "can accurate" at reasonable handgun ranges and it functioned reliably.

I wouldn't mind having an H&R Model 732 revolver.

What's really nice is to be able to acquire handguns for purposes other than self defense. I'm so grateful that I don't have to shoot only the handgun models currently popular for personal defense. Life would be very dull if so limited.

The .32 S&W Long can really shine at the range or in the field. It's cheap to hand load. A hand loaded lead semi-wadcutter bullet out of any of several .32 revolver cartridges is a deluxe rabbit and squirrel getter and great for farm yard pests. It wouldn't be my choice for personal self defense but it is a whole sight better than the .22 or .25. It could serve to cause an assailant to break off an attack. One could be said to be having a bad day if he was on the receiving end of a few lead .32 bullets.

I stuck up a thread a few weeks back about a .32 that I turned up. The cartridge would offer great close range accuracy and controllability.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ver-range.html

Thanks for link. Hope admin just merges my thread to yours.

I think I read your report back in October, but just did not make the link.

Again, great link / thread. Thanks.

I don't know Thanis. Yours seems a unique thread to me.

Neither the .32 nor the Harrington & Richardson line of revolvers has the "cool" factor these days. So an H&R Model 732 has two strikes against it.

Even so, post WWII center fire H&R revolvers don't turn up all that often. I've seen only a few and have thought of picking up an example just for fun. I have a soft spot for ol' H&R. There's something noble about their utilitarian nature. I have an H&R Model 176 10 gauge shotgun, H&R "Topper" .410, and an H&R Model 58 .22 Hornet and have found them to be effective and useful. My cousin's H&R .22 revolver was good enough for clipping weed heads in the heat of Texas summers which was quite entertaining. Nothing wrong with enjoying some range time with that Model 732. I'd have to thumb cock it though as I wouldn't be much good with its characteristic double action trigger.

I'm so pitiful that I'd be willing to own an H&R revolver but won't have a Glock in the house.

Links