Back-up duplicate of carry gun

This is a discussion on Back-up duplicate of carry gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; An earlier post here about this got me thinking. My permit will be here soon, and in preparation I have done a lot of practicing ...

Thread: Back-up duplicate of carry gun

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar

An earlier post here about this got me thinking. My permit will be here soon, and in preparation I have done a lot of practicing with the gun I plan to carry (G26). In the past couple years since I bought it, I have put probably 10,000 rounds through it (a box of 100 per week on average). I have also begun to stock up on replacement parts should anything go wrong with it. I am also careful to clean it at least every 2 trips to the range following the instructions in the manual for cleaning and lubrication.

As a Glock, one would expect that it would have little problem with wear, but the whole Obama thing has gotten me thinking about the future. If I continue to practice so often with this gun it might be reasonable to expect parts to fail at some point.

So what I am thinking now is that perhaps it would be a good idea to buy a second G26, set it up identically, and after a brief burn-in period carry that one instead, while continuing to practice with the one I have now. In this way, I can replace parts that fail on the practice one without worry that they might fail at the worst possible time...a SD situation. And, if the worst happens and it somehow becomes illegal to buy another one and the one I have breaks, I will have a spare.

Am I being too paranoid about reliability?

Edit: I'm not sure what forum this should go in so if it needs to be in carry discussions please move it.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Sounds like a fine idea to me. Just e sure to let that carry piece out to play every now and than to make sure it is still in shape if called into the game.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I know a guy who was involved ina SD shoting (he was car jacked). That was 2 or so years ago. After about a week, received his CCW ID back. His non LE occupation provides a good reason to carry. No charges, but still no return of the firearm.

The gun was his often practiced (many classes) #1 SD (pistol) choice. Since then he has purchased 2 more. If he ever gets his old handgun back, he will have 3 of a kind.

Maybe it is a little overboard, but he went through a SD situation (so it is a top priority compared to others). He never wants to be without the gun as an option, be it stolen, in for repair, etc.

Am I being too paranoid about reliability?
    Perhaps. Your Glock should outlast you with proper care and maintenance. Spare parts such as a recoil spring/rod, and the trigger spring, striker spring, and rear slide cover are good. I'd be more worried about mag springs and followers though. While a whole new replacement pistol isn't a bad idea, how many spare parts do you think you could buy for $500? If I had $500 to drop on a new pistol right now, I'd rather spend it on ammo, mags or mag replacement parts, and pistol replacement parts in that order.....especially if we are talking Glock. My 2

Provided you can afford it, I think its an excellent idea. I do the same thing to some extent. I shoot a fair amount of IDPA with my M&P45. I carry a M&P45 as a duty weapon at my part-time job. The M&P45 I carry on-duty is an exact duplicate of my IDPA M&P45, but not the same gun. I don't see any reason to wear out my duty weapon and then have the slightly greater possibility that it will fail when I need it. Both guns shoot exactly the same, I just shoot the M&P duty gun at qualification.

My primary backup gun at both my full and part-time jobs is a S&W 37-2 DAO Airweight. Given the current state of S&W revolvers (locks, MIM parts, etc.) I squirreled away two spare Airweights that are exactly the same, and at this point still NIB, in case my BUG ever wears out and I can't replace it to my satisfaction with a new S&W. Given the recent introduction of the 442 and 642 sans lock I may have overreacted, but worst case scenario is I have two very nice NIB S&W revolvers.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Sounds like a good idea (if your budget permits) to me.

I' like to have two S&W CS45's (my primary carry is a CS45) and two S&W full size M&P .40's (my duty weapon).

But - $$$ on hand won't permit it.
    For God, Family and Country!

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have 3 of each. 1 to beat the snot out of training, 1 to carry and 1 to have in reserve just in case. All of them are set up the same way. I carry Glocks so I can buy 3 and still not spend as much as I would on one "ready to go" 1911. I do still have spare parts for each.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I like the idea.

Once I invest in some other things, I'll probably get a duplicate or near duplicate.

VIP Member

GWRedDragon

Great idea

The perfect BUG in my opinion...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The perfect BUG in my opinion...
    My CCW class instructor claimed that BUGs are illegal in VA...so not sure about that.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I picked up a "spare" G21 a couple weeks ago. I mentioned to one of my local guys to keep his eyes open for a good deal on a used one, and he gave me an unbeatable offer on a new one...

It's just going to sit in the safe for right now...maybe I'll get Trijicons on it, but that'll be about it.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Sponsored Links