Glock 19C

Glock 19C

This is a discussion on Glock 19C within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any thoughts on the Glock 19C as a carry gun. Would the compensator be an advantage or disadvantage? Would there be a flash that would ...

Thread: Glock 19C

Glock 19C

Any thoughts on the Glock 19C as a carry gun. Would the compensator be an advantage or disadvantage? Would there be a flash that would be blinding at night?

Thanks, Ray

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I'd wonder if lint would more easily build up inside...just a thought. I guess it depends on the holster.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member
    If the compensator is a port that directs the gas out the side of the barrel and slide, you likely would not want to carry that for personal defense. Could get burned if you are holding the gun close in for retention.

I haven't shot a standard Glock 19 in several years now, but I don't recall that recoil or muzzle tilt was much of an issue. So, no need for compensation.

I have a ported .40 which I like for some things, but not for carry.

Many who have posted in these forums make a blanket statement that the hot gas should only come out the front. Consensus seems to be that compensation is a disadvantage.

Glock 19C.....good gun I had one and carried it for a couple years and then sold it to a friend.....i didn't have any problems.......and a good gun to shoot too.........

Lead Moderator
    No real need for one on a 9mm.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I agree , no need on 9mm IMO. OR on any other Glock I have ever shot. I shoot 10mm and 357 sigs in Glocks and it's not a problem. Then I guess everyone is different
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I, personally, would avoid any compensated pistol for carry uses. Close quarters shooting positions would orient the weapon in such a way that vented gasses would wind up in your face/eyes. No good in a fight! Lets not forget the recoil of a G19 is gentle. Even +P+ loads are easy shooting. Buy a G19 (2 is better) lots of ammo and train, train and train some more.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Administrator
    The C is kinda pointless for a carry gun. If you feel that you need a C gun, practice more or get a less powerful caliber.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Gee, I never even knew they had a G19C, I struggle to find the point of such a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If the compensator is a port that directs the gas out the side of the barrel and slide, you likely would not want to carry that for personal defense. Could get burned if you are holding the gun close in for retention.

I haven't shot a standard Glock 19 in several years now, but I don't recall that recoil or muzzle tilt was much of an issue. So, no need for compensation.

I have a ported .40 which I like for some things, but not for carry.

Many who have posted in these forums make a blanket statement that the hot gas should only come out the front. Consensus seems to be that compensation is a disadvantage.
    +1 on these comments...I agree completely. I think the ports look cool, but not practical for a self defence senerio.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I always figured the compensated models were specifically for competition. Besides.....why would anyone feel the need to have a compensated 9mm? In my opinion, it has nothing to do with tactical or CC.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The C is kinda pointless for a carry gun. If you feel that you need a C gun, practice more or get a less powerful caliber.
    Put me in the same boat+ more meticulous cleaning of the ports, possible blinding flash in low light, etc.....

Harmful to the shooter, from retention. Don't.

+1. No need for porting on a defensive hand gun, especially 9mm.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Compensation is for Race Guns. Race Guns mean competition. Competition means no night-vision flash issues, no awkward self-igniting firing positions, no life-or-death considerations. So get a compensated GLOCK if you're looking to reduce your split-times & play fun gun-games...but (IMHO) CCW means non-compensated barrels. Regardless of caliber. Certainly in a G19.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thanks to all for your advice on the 19C. I will get the non compensated 19 instead which will be better all around and especially for low light practice.

Sponsored Links