Shoot your new carry gun!

This is a discussion on Shoot your new carry gun! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just saw a brand new in box (from the distributor) Sig 226 fail to fire after the first round. Factory ammo, new everything. The owner ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoot your new carry gun!

Shoot your new carry gun!

Just saw a brand new in box (from the distributor) Sig 226 fail to fire after the first round. Factory ammo, new everything. The owner of the range/shop left a message with his sales rep to pick up and replace, asap. I have seen this happen with many different brands.

This is not a slam on any brand, but a warning to shoot your new carry guns. john

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Jeez. They didn't test fire it at the factory? All new guns I can remember have had a couple empty cases in the box to let you know that they test-fired it.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Lead Moderator
    Any one who doesn't "test fire " several 100 rounds before trusting a carry gun is taking a risk, no matter the manufacturer.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Note:

My personal rule of thumb: 500 rounds through pistol before it's my carry gun.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sporty79 View Post
    My personal rule of thumb: 500 rounds through pistol before it's my carry gun.....

Ditto!

I had a SIG P229 do 'almost' the same thing on me about a dozen years ago.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Jeez. They didn't test fire it at the factory? All new guns I can remember have had a couple empty cases in the box to let you know that they test-fired it.
    Those rounds have nothing to do with letting you know they test fired it,in some states they require a spent case from everu gun purchased so they can enter it in a database that way supposedly if the gun is used in a crime they can trace the spent case back
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Those rounds have nothing to do with letting you know they test fired it,in some states they require a spent case from everu gun purchased so they can enter it in a database that way supposedly if the gun is used in a crime they can trace the spent case back
    Interesting. They track cases as well as bullets? I am a little shocked that there is enough variance in manufacturing that different guns can be identified right off the assembly line.

Now, I can understand how markings on fired bullets might be different enough to be identifiable after someone has should hundreds of rounds through the barrel...

But cases right off the assembly line?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I have talked to a number of folks who have never fired their carry guns. They qualified with a loaner at the range. When they got their license they bought a handgun loaded it up an put it in the holster.

Michael

Doesn't Sig include the test target in the box anymore?
    Do we know the cause of the FTF? Are we sure it was weapon related and not the ammo? Not saying that Sigs are perfect, just that we seem to making an assumption here that it was the weapon half of this equation that failed.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I would never carry a gun I haven't fire several 100 times at least. Need to be comfortable and accurate with your carry gun
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

No hits on the primer at all. The ammo fired in one of our rental guns. Still a mystery why the gun won't fire.

Heck, the best part about buying a new gun is to head straight to the range and shoot several dozen rounds. There is no way I could take a gun home and look at it in the box knowing that I didn't shoot it. That's bad karma or something.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Fortunately most self defense situations involving citizens almost never result in shots being fired. However there may come a time where you're in a place with a crazed active shooter with a signed death warrant. That's when you want to be able to trust your carry gun.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

If it's my EDC, it has successfully fired 300-500 rounds...perfectly!
    Just my standards.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No hit on the primer!?!?!?
    Thats not good.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links