What are the major categories? How many firearms is enough?

This is a discussion on What are the major categories? How many firearms is enough? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sub Topic #1 I've come up with Hunting, CC / SD Pistol, Home SD, Collection, and maybe Sports. Obviously one gun may fit many roles, ...

Sub Topic #1
    I've come up with Hunting, CC / SD Pistol, Home SD, Collection, and maybe Sports. Obviously one gun may fit many roles,

Sub Topic #2
    Has there ever been a thread for this topic? How many firearms is enough? I see a lot of "How much ammo is enough?" or related threads. The ammo question is more relevanrt / realistic question.

I'm a minimalist (in a round about way). I tend to find myself enjoying everyone elses collection (saves a few $ in the process).

However, everytime I buy a new gun, that number creaps up. Right now I own 2 rifles, 2 hand guns, & 1 shotguns. Very likely by next year I will own a one more of each.

I've got the hunting rifles I need (maybe a black powder someday, but keeping it simple).

In some ways, my wallet has been a little lucky I have a Glock 31. It has provided the frame for a lot of caliber options (.40 barrel soon, a .22 LR conversion, and I'm even considering a 9mm conversion Lone Wolf barrel). Maybe it is a little trendy / gimmicky to do this with 1 gun, but the caliber choices make for some fun at the range with out having to register and secure 4+ firearms.

In part, thanks to this forum, the S&W .38 SPl +P was a good fit for the pocket carry.

Next on the list is a 10/22 (tired of borrowing my 70 year old mother's rifle), Glock 33, and a shotgun more geared to skeet and trap.

This then leads to the next bug, to buy is a 44 S&W Mag 5 inch revolver with a matching lever action 44 Mag Marlin carbine. My brother has a set, and he reloads 44s.

Once I get to this point, even though I'm really trying to avoid it, thoughts of an AR-15 or AK-47 will get stronger.

Sub Topic #3
    So I've gone a lot of directions in this tread, but here is the last sub-topic, for those of you ahead of the curve on me with the gun itch, what is it I will want to buy after the AR-15?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    How many firearms is enough?
    IMHO, as many as you can afford and enjoy. If you can afford it and get enjoyment out of buying more, keep doing it. If you are at the point where buying more seems pointless, then you are allowed to stop.

If you find yourself wanting that new XYZ and you have the cash, go for it!
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    How many firearms is enough?

There ain't no such thing as enough or too many firearms. There is such as a thing as not enough places to put the guns, but that can be taken care of by getting a bigger house. Also, there ain't no such thing as enough or too much ammo.

If you have no place to put the guns, a few of them can be laid on top of the ammo that I answered a couple days in another thread. You can put large screws above the doors so that you can hang guns there. You can put the kids in the back yard in a tent, so you have a place in their bedroom to store the guns.

If the wife says anything about the kids and their sleeping arrangements, then she can sleep in the garage. You can stack guns on top of the ammo that you have stacked on her side of the bed. Do you have a crawl space above or under your house? If so, then you have toom for lots of guns. There is no such thing as enough or too many guns.

About the only place where a person may have too many guns, is if you are swimming and already have your pockets full of ammo, you may have to throw away some ammo and carry an extra gun.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Sub Topic #1
    I've come up with Hunting, CC / SD Pistol, Home SD, Collection, and maybe Sports. Obviously one gun may fit many roles,
    I seriously have one hunting rifle. The rest could be hunting rifles, but I think of them as special applications. The CC/SD Pistol, Home SD, collection all lump into one for me, and sports? I think it's a sport just watching where the spent cases from my AK47 or AR15 go so I can pick them up later. Better than the Olympics IMO! How many are enough? How many can you carry for a five mile hike into the wilderness? What goes, or gets left behind will be plenty enough believe me. If you are going to ride it out, and stick to your castle, then maybe enough isn't enough. Believe me when I say, you're good to go. I'm good to go. There comes a point when you need nothing more. Want is a totally different thing, and shouldn't be confused with need. Will any of us ever feel complete? More than likely not. Then again, we need to live in the reality that surrounds us. One rifle and one pistol, with the right support, and ample ammo should be all we ever need to survive. All of us have our different needs for survival, and hence so many different answers to the question. Best we can do is listen to ourselves and attain a basic goal. Anything more is just confusing the mind. With what I have, I need nothing more. Want is irrelevant. Get rid of the want, and you'll have confidence. With confidence, you can win the war. Determination is what lets you put want out of your mind. The will and knowledge of what you have here and now are your best tactics. Make wise decisions, and you'll never be out numbered.

I've always thought my minimum should be one deer rifle, one .22, one pistol, one shotgun.

With that being said, there has been times when I didn't have a rifle and had 3 pistols, or any other combo but I always come back to trying to have at least one of each.

You may not actually need a rifle if you don't hunt. If you have a good rifle, you may not need a shotgun. I like having the bases covered though.

Everybody should have a .22, if for no other reason than cheap stress relief.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

VIP Member
    "How many firearms is enough?".........blasphemous words ! A question that can't be answered......because the itch is permanent.

Your OP is well thought out. My wife claims that a man only needs two guns..........a long one and a short one. Little does she know.

The minimum is one pistol, one shotgun, and one rifle. From there it gets preferential to the buyer as to caliber, brand, operation, etc.

After the AR-15 maybe an AK, if you aren't too late, they've been really selling lately. Maybe a mil-surp, I like those, they're cheap, good shooters, and full of history.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I'm sorry, but you must be speaking a dialect that I do not understand. I hear your words...too many firearms, but I can not comprehend the meaning.
    Could you please repeat what you were saying...s l o w l y...maybe I can try to get the meaning?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Over the past 35 years I have had at least one each sd pistol, hunting pistol, rifle, shotgun, black powder pistol and rifle. I would sell whatever gun I was replacing to get my new one.
    After a few months or years later I would for some reason to regret getting rid of many of the guns, so I now wait until I can get what I want without selling anything. My wife dose not always agree that I am in need of more but never gives me a hard time. She does however use it to her advantage when she wants something. Here is how she does it...

Her: I would love to buy that leather coat.
    Me: How much.
    Her: $700
    Me: Your nuts, whats so great about it.
    Her: It's pink.
    Me: Everything you have is pink.
    Her: How many guns do you have now?
    Me: What are ya waiting for lets go get it.

So bottom line is what ever works for you.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    You can never have enough ! How many I have don't know as I'd have to sit down and think about it.My wife says you can use only one at a time but I tell her they are my hobby and you can never have enough.I have a wish list just
    like everybody else.

Lets see, IMO at a minimum one needs:

(keep in mind its minimum, more is always better as far as I am concerned)

1-full-power rifle, i.e. .308, .30-06, 8mm Mauser, 7.62x54R, etc. This can be used for hunting, longer range target shooting, SHTF scenarios, etc. It can be a semi, bolt, lever, name it, whatever works for the shooter. It can have optics or not. A lot of mil surp WWII era battle rifles meet this requirement at a low cost.

1-Semi-automatic assault-type rifle (or if you do the paperwork and have the cash, a real select fire), 5.56x45mm, 5.45x39mm, 6.8mm, 7.62x39mm, etc. The most common types are AR and AK clones, but there are plenty of others that work. Primary applications are defense, gun games, and really fun plinking. Plus every American should own a rifle like this.

1-.22LR rifle, great for low cost plinking, teaching new shooters, taking small game, etc. Very inexpensive, bolt, semi, lever, pump, whatever the shooter likes best.

1-12 gauge pump shotgun, simple to operate, powerful at close range, can change applications with a simple barrel swap; home defense, gun games, hunting, plinking, you name it. A 12 gauge pump is a staple in any collection. Plus, many of them are inexpensive and nearly impossible to wear out.

1-.357 Magnum revolver, medium to large frame, with a 4" barrel. Primarily for home and self defense, gun games, plinking, and working on shooting skills. Very broad range of ammunition types and bullet weights, simple to operate, accurate, reliable, easy to reload for, fun to shoot. Another staple of any collection.

1-9x19mm pistol, primarily for self defense, gun games, plinking, pretty much any application for a handgun other than hunting (though I suppose it could serve in a pinch). Cheap, plentiful ammunition, easy to shoot well, huge selection available.

1-.22LR handgun, pistol or revolver, great for plinking, teaching new shooters, general shooting fun and inexpensive practice, and small game hunting.

I think that is it at a minimum. Seven firearms, I'm sure most of us have more than that already, though perhaps they do not cover such a broad range. I'll add that if the shooter/user carries outside the home for self-defense, it might make sense to add a smaller revolver or auto for that use, though the above 9mm or .357 handguns could serve that purpose also. If adding just one for carry, I'd go with a 9mm pistol or .357 or .38 special small revolver for commonality of ammunition.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    Lets see, IMO at a minimum one needs:

(keep in mind its minimum, more is always better as far as I am concerned)

1-full-power rifle...
    1-Semi-automatic assault-type rifle (or if you do the paperwork and have the cash, a real select fire)... Plus every American should own a rifle like this.
    1-.22LR rifle...
    1-12 gauge pump shotgun...
    1-.357 Magnum revolver, medium to large frame, with a 4" barrel...
    1-9x19mm pistol...
    1-.22LR handgun, pistol or revolver...
    This is a great list! That sounds very similar to my personal goals on the subject.

I love the part about how every American should own an AR/AK. I think we need to start telling people on the fence that it is their patriotic duty to own an assault rifle! That is, in fact, my reasoning on the subject. I almost never use my AR since it costs so much to shoot but I thought I needed it anyway.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I'll always have a minimum of three firearms: an M1 rifle in .30-06, a Winchester Model 12 shotgun in 12 gauge, and a Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel .38 Special revolver. These will handle every reasonable need including hunting, self defense, and recreational uses.

If I am to double the number of guns from the three listed above I will additionally keep: a scoped Winchester Model 70 .30-06 rifle, a Winchester Model 1890 rifle chambered for .22 Long Rifle, and a Smith & Wesson Model 17 revolver chambered for .22 Long Rifle.

How much is enough? Well that all depends on the person doesn't it? If buying additional guns keeps you from taking care of other financial obligations or feeding your family, any more than one already has is too many. After that, it depends on personal preference, and as you say enjoyment. If someone just likes shooting pistols and has no desire for shotguns or long rifles, maybe one or a few pistols is enough for them. 10 years ago, I didn't give pistols a second thought, I shot them rarely, now I shoot them much more than long guns.

Personally, I am at a level that I probably have enough. Multiple hunting rifles, multiple .22 rifles, multiple shotguns, multiple "defensive" type pistols, mutiple magnum revolvers, multiple fun revolvers, and a single .22 pistol, and one assault rifle (wow, never said it that way, but the .22 pistol, and the SKS should be lonely).

So, that being said, I probably have enough, since some of them haven not been shot in several years. I get them out periodically, inspect them, re-oil them and place them back. However, with the wife in the process of getting her CHL, I imagine that the number of defensive pistols is about to grow. I just have to make room for whatever comes home somewhere with the rest of them.

Then again, in a few years when the little one is ready to start shooting, I am sure that there will be some youth models with additional calibers added to what we have. So for now I have enough, but in the future that might not be the case.

You can ask the same question about most anything, cars, tools, womens jewelry, whatever. It all depends on the individual. If your happy, it is probably enough. If your not happy and can afford it, then enjoy shopping.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links