Realistic opinions on O's tax on weapons and ammo. - Page 4

Realistic opinions on O's tax on weapons and ammo.

This is a discussion on Realistic opinions on O's tax on weapons and ammo. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One thing to realize is that Chicago politicians *have* to be anti-gun to survive. He may well be anti-gun at heart, but the political scene ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Realistic opinions on O's tax on weapons and ammo.

One thing to realize is that Chicago politicians *have* to be anti-gun to survive. He may well be anti-gun at heart, but the political scene in Chicago is such that he would have had to stay on message whether he supported it or not.

I'm generally a liberal and voted for Obama, mostly because I see him as an intelligent and well organized leader. I obviously disagree with his gun beliefs but still saw him as the better choice.

Remember -- Bush ran pro-gun but later said that he wouldn't veto another AWB. I don't trust McCain any further than that either.

That said, I just ordered two receivers and plan to build one into a rifle now and the other one sometime next year. Just in case -- and who doesn't want an excuse to buy more rifles?

Senior Moderator
    Actions speak louder than words here...more so if its from a politician.

Since we cant see the future, we have to base our predictions of what is to come on the past.

Looking at the information posted by 5 Knives that is public record, does'nt leave much doubt as to what Obama really thinks about firearm ownership.

While its true that nothing may happen, Obama's previous record proves that it certainly could.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    One thing to realize is that Chicago politicians *have* to be anti-gun to survive. He may well be anti-gun at heart, but the political scene in Chicago is such that he would have had to stay on message whether he supported it or not.

I'm generally a liberal and voted for Obama, mostly because I see him as an intelligent and well organized leader. I obviously disagree with his gun beliefs but still saw him as the better choice.

Remember -- Bush ran pro-gun but later said that he wouldn't veto another AWB. I don't trust McCain any further than that either.

That said, I just ordered two receivers and plan to build one into a rifle now and the other one sometime next year. Just in case -- and who doesn't want an excuse to buy more rifles?
    Wait a second. You voted for someone when you disagree with their position because you think that their position might not be what they actually believe, even though there is no evidence of that, and they have been absolutely consistent in action 100% on that position?

Sounds like you are trying to rationalize an emotional decision. Either that, or the gun issue is not important to you compared to other issues.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

dnowell; you should reexamine your priorities here. if you are a true gun owner, voting for someone like Obama just because he seems to be a well organized leader and a smart guy doesnt wash. for myself i take a look at the company someone keeps and their value sets and go from there.

So don't complain when your hero starts passing legislation to take away your guns, or raise your taxes significantly because so far he is following form for a typical liberal democrat.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    Gentlemen, lets not berate each other for who we voted for and stay on topic.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    dnowell; you should reexamine your priorities here. if you are a true gun owner, voting for someone like Obama just because he seems to be a well organized leader and a smart guy doesnt wash. for myself i take a look at the company someone keeps and their value sets and go from there.

So don't complain when your hero starts passing legislation to take away your guns, or raise your taxes significantly because so far he is following form for a typical liberal democrat.
    Unbelievable. "A true gun owner" sounds a lot like "a gun owner whose beliefs match mine". Nobody here said Obama was a "hero", and your litmus test isn't the same one others use to decide who to vote for; ironic that as often as we hear the idea of "freedom" discussed when it comes to gun ownership and the Second Amendment one would be vilified by voting differently than another.

Thank you, 5knives, for posting the only relevant information on a potential tax increase. It still means comparatively little, since Obama did not run for a legislative position, but it is good to know.

-B

Senior Moderator
    I didn't ask anybody...
    You dont have a concealed weapons permit?

There is virtually no chance that the Federal government will disregard the Second Amendment. It just isn't going to happen.
    I sincerley hope you are right. Lets not forget that the Supreme Court is almost split on the Second Amendment. A few Obamanese appointees could change that.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think AZ only requires a permit to concealed-carry.

I sincerley hope you are right. Lets not forget that the Supreme Court is amost split on the Second Amendment. A few Obamanese appointees could change that.
    Eh, the Supreme Court was something like 8 for 9 for "individual rights", and only 5 for 9 that the D.C. laws were unconstitutional. Of those Supreme Court justices most likely to retire, well, they're the more liberal-leaning ones anyway. Worst case scenario is they get replaced with more liberal-leaning justices.

-B

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Yes, but I didn't ask anyone. I submitted the paperwork, completed the class and, by law, I was sent the permit.

I sincerley hope you are right. Lets not forget that the Supreme Court is almost split on the Second Amendment. A few Obamanese appointees could change that.
    No, the Supreme Court was 9-0, unanimous, that the Second Amendment protected an individual right. And the Justices most likely to leave the Court will be the worst liberals ever appointed. Obama will not change the makeup of the Court.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    OK, I have heard from several independent (READ - not related) sources that O plans on a HUGE excise tax (up to 500%) on Firearms and Ammunition.

You can't believe everything you read on the net, and I could not find anything even close to this on O's website.

Given the glorious way that our government makes laws, and my special favorite of attaching a completely unrelated item to a bill on it's journey to becoming a law, how likely is this.

As an example;
    Immigration reform. A bill gets written that is a strong solid measure to stop the flood of border jumpers, rounding up the ones we have and shipping them back to hence they came. Both sides of the party lines are all for it.

But wait, at the end there is a "by the way...increase the federal excise tax on all ammunition and firearm sales to 500%, Military, Law Enforcement and other government agencies will be exempt.

Short, simple, and one line stuffed at the end.

Do we have enough people in the houses to catch it, bring it to the public eye, or stop it?

Do you honestly think that this type of "Tax it to death" will happen?
    There have been a few tangents in this thread, but to answer your question..."to stop it?"...no, I think something like this will appear, and it will slip through.
    We are beginning to see a liberalism that is going to create some 'bad weather' that no one expected.

Hang on to your hats...it's just getting started.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Regarding Obama: my feeling about a tax increase is that it is speculative talk from a salesman making a pitch to get votes by applying an emotional resource to complete the sale. Yes, Obama has voted against gun bills, but even he would recognize how difficult it would be to achieve legislation like this. Based on this assumption, I would seriously doubt that a 500% increase on ammo prices would be done, even with a Democratic Congress. Doesn't mean the he would try....
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Gentlemen, lets not berate each other for who we voted for and stay on topic.
    Thank you. Beat me to it.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I think prices will skyrocket, but not from taxes. I believe hyper-inflation is coming our way by this time next year the dollar value will be in the toilet. All thanks to this bailout nonsense, printing money we don't have.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

VIP Member

Stopping hyperinflation---high taxes

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I think prices will skyrocket, but not from taxes. I believe hyper-inflation is coming our way by this time next year the dollar value will be in the toilet. All thanks to this bailout nonsense, printing money we don't have.
    I am inclined to agree, especially since the appropriated money is now being used in an entirely different way than Congress was told it would be. One solution to hyperinflation is high taxes. It brings on stagnation, and dampens the inflation. So, your theory might hold some water.

That said, I do not believe that any severe anti-gun legislation will get pushed through Congress. As I posted earlier, I can not see where the votes would come from in the Senate.

No votes will come from the following delegates:

Alaska, Arizona, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Idaho, New Hapshire, Vermont, Texas, New Mexico, Miss, Missouri, Oklahoma, both Dakotas, Utah, Nevada, Colorado. The majority vote simply is not there. And certainly the 60 votes to block a filibuster won't be there.

The House is a different issue. G-d only knows what could go through The House. Once again we will see the grand wisdom of our founder's architectural genius when they designed our government.

Well, someone made a run at one of my local Wal Marts since I was last there two days ago. Most of the 9mm through 45acp is now gone off the shelves! Picked up the last two boxes they had of the 45 Blazer Brass. There is also a gun show in town this weekend. I was there yesterday. Panic? Maybe. The possibilities of future taxes on ammo is feeding the frenzy. Now that's power folks.....no single person in the world should hold that much power over their fellow human beings. It's just not right.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links