Home made silencer, is it legal?

This is a discussion on Home made silencer, is it legal? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can you make your own silencer? Can you use it in the range?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made silencer, is it legal?

Home made silencer, is it legal?

Can you make your own silencer?
    Can you use it in the range?

2. Remove Ads

No...not to my knowledge (in my state anyways).
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

jfl
    Home-made or store-bought same thing !
    It is legal ... if you have a "class 3" and I'd guess you don't otherwise you wouldn't ask
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

BAC
    Yes and yes. You need to fill out the appropriate paperwork (Form I) to create an NFA-applicable item, wait for the paperwork to clear, then build away. Silencer Talk is a great place to find all kinds of info, with many members making their own suppressors and many manufacturers congregating there to discuss the ins and outs of how they work, what works, what doesn't, etc.

-B

Lead Moderator
    Depending on state laws , but you still need to get the correct federal paperwork to own or manufacture a suppressor /silencer.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Are the eligibility much stricker to get a silencer then a CC permit?

1) Don't even go there

2) Do yourself a favor, go through the process, buy one from a reputable dealer and go through the process. It is no different than that of owning a subgun, etc.

3) Don't ever talk about making one to anybody. The person giving you advice could be a federal agent. A "friend" asked Randy Weaver to cut down a shotgun barrel for him where the "friend" made a mark; Weaver did so, and what happened after ruined his life forever. The "friend" turned out to be an ATF agent who made a mark on the barrel and Weaver did not bother measuring it. My point here is that when you talk about stuff like that, it is easy to get mislead.

So be careful
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

wpk
    If I'm shooting my gun, I'll be praying someone hears it and calls the police!!
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

I came up with this really cool design, so making one to me would be more or less experimental process. The feeling is awesome , if your project actually works ya know what I mean.

BAC
    Wow, ton of negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Are the eligibility much stricker to get a silencer then a CC permit?
    Depends on how hard it is to get a CC permit in Tx.

It's not harder, usually, but it is a lot more involved. There's a $200 tax stamp on top of the time for the paperwork to clear. Since you're talking about the physical making of a suppressor, you also have to factor in the cost of equipment, materials, etc. Rocky makes a good point I forgot to mention in that this is also subject to state laws. Vermont doesn't allow suppressors, for instance. Florida likes 'em just fine.

Since you mention designing them, I highly recommend you head to that forum I liked and talk to people there a lot more knowledgeable than I. Each design you make is going to require a different form to the ATF, and don't even think about putting different internals into the same tube.

Read up and talk to people, and once you're comfortable with your level of knowledge and understand the laws and regulations surrounding this I really do hope you get the chance to make a suppressor. That would be a real fun project.

-B

yeah yeah,that is good site thanks.

is anyone watching Giants vs. Eagles?

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    1) Don't even go there

2) Do yourself a favor, go through the process, buy one from a reputable dealer and go through the process. It is no different than that of owning a subgun, etc.

3) Don't ever talk about making one to anybody. The person giving you advice could be a federal agent. A "friend" asked Randy Weaver to cut down a shotgun barrel for him where the "friend" made a mark; Weaver did so, and what happened after ruined his life forever. The "friend" turned out to be an ATF agent who made a mark on the barrel and Weaver did not bother measuring it. My point here is that when you talk about stuff like that, it is easy to get mislead.

So be careful
    what kinda mark did he make? I guess i don't understand what he did wrong? Can you expalin please

What he means is that there is a legal minimum length to a barrel, and Weaver cut it off shorter than Big Brother deems reasonable, hence Weaver was planning to take over the world....

To the OP, have you shot many weapons with "silencers"? To my experience, they should be called "mufflers," because they don't really do that much. Not the "pffft" you hear on the movies, but a loud, metallic clank. Lets face it, you can't do that much about a bullet that exceeds certain speeds. I personally wouldn't care for the expense and hassle, but if it's your passion, go for it!

BAC
    I am and I'm swallowing my pride and cheering on the Eagles. Westbrook is a great running back who's been as underapreciated as it gets for Philly fans.

The instance that's being referenced is the Ruby Ridge Massacre. Without getting caught up in other details, the under-cover agent requested that Randy Weaver cut down a shotgun barrel just slightly below the legal limit of 18". What was omitted by edr9x23super is the ensuing court case where Weaver stated the barrels were modified after the sale to the undercover agent and Weaver was only tried and indicted, with still-controversial evidence, when he refused to participate with another ATF operation.

Contrary to what edr9x23super brought up, there is a legal way to do this and once you do it a couple times it becomes pretty easy. Expensive, sure, but pretty easy. If you don't trust an individual, talk to Advanced Armament Corp or any number of licensed Class 3 FFLs. They make a living helping people figure stuff like this out.

-B

Administrator
    The shortening of the shotgun barrel is Off Topic to the thread.
    The OP is requesting information about fabricating a prototype suppressor at home and what exactly is involved in keeping the project above board and legal.
    Please let's stay on that topic without straying off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links