I need a new gun store in SML VA area!

This is a discussion on I need a new gun store in SML VA area! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am finally retiring for good to our home at Smith Mountain Lake in Moneta, VA. I would like some recommendations or suggestions for gun ...

Thread: I need a new gun store in SML VA area!

I am finally retiring for good to our home at Smith Mountain Lake in Moneta, VA. I would like some recommendations or suggestions for gun stores in the area. Rocky Mount, Bedfort, Roanoke, etc. I like friendly knowledgeable people - not large chain stores.
    Thanks in-advance for any info.
    Paul
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    I am finally retiring for good to our home at Smith Mountain Lake in Moneta, VA. I would like some recommendations or suggestions for gun stores in the area. Rocky Mount, Bedfort, Roanoke, etc. I like friendly knowledgeable people - not large chain stores.
    Thanks in-advance for any info.
    Paul
    Welcome back! On 460 in bedford county there's a little gun shop that deals mostly with long arms and muzzleloading, very few pistols. If you want a good selection of pistols check out Trader Jerry's in Salem, as well as Roanoke Firearms and Sportsman's Warehouse in Roanoke. Sportsman's may be a chain, but their gun department is well stocked, and the prices are quite reasonable.

Send me a PM, we'll have to get together sometime and hit the range.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I have been to Roanoke Firearms...my brother bought his GSG-5 there. The prices seemed fair and the owner was friendly (unlike most gun stores I have been to).

Welcome to Roanoke Firearms!

If you don't know about it already be sure to check out the Blacksburg range in the National Forest. Best shooting range I've ever been to...and free
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

It may be a little further for you, but if you're ever near downtown Christiansburg there is a relatively new Class III dealer there - Crockett and sons gun shop. Some of the nicest people you'll ever meet and all are big gun nuts - one of them used to be an LEO too.

They have a small (not that small) but sweet selection of guns - long and handguns. Check out their website.

JD
    Administrator
    Have to agree with Chooie. There's also a really, really small shop right next to SML, I forget the name of it, it was just to the north of the bridge on 122 IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by snuggles View Post
    It may be a little further for you, but if you're ever near downtown Christiansburg there is a relatively new Class III dealer there - Crockett and sons gun shop. Some of the nicest people you'll ever meet and all are big gun nuts - one of them used to be an LEO too.

They have a small (not that small) but sweet selection of guns - long and handguns. Check out their website.
    Class 3, eh? Thanks, I'll check that out.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Yea, the reason I said small is because it has no where near the volume of guns that places like roanoke firearms does. But the employees there are some of the best around. It's a cozy little shop. Oh and here's the website I forgot to put up
    Crockett and Son Gun Shop

Their website claims that a G27 comes with a '9rd clip'.

I just hope that the next time I am down in that area my options are not more limited than they are now.

VIP Member
    I don't know of any gun stores but I have a great striper fishing guide if interested.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Thanks everyone! I have bought from Roanoke Firearms during the last 2 years ( old and new owners) - they are good people (friendly) to deal with. I am just looking for gun shops to spend my time in looking ( I have nothing but time) and for a place to buy bulk ammo. I forgot that Trader Jerry is in Salem - I have dealt with him at Gun shows before. I like small shops - looking for GEMS or just fun stuff!
    Does anyone have a contact at Bedford Rifle and Pistol club? I"m interested in their pistol matches.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    Thanks everyone! I have bought from Roanoke Firearms during the last 2 years ( old and new owners) - they are good people (friendly) to deal with. I am just looking for gun shops to spend my time in looking ( I have nothing but time) and for a place to buy bulk ammo. I forgot that Trader Jerry is in Salem - I have dealt with him at Gun shows before. I like small shops - looking for GEMS or just fun stuff!
    Does anyone have a contact at Bedford Rifle and Pistol club? I"m interested in their pistol matches.
    Sure, I think I've got a contact in my email...

As for small shops, the one I mentioned on 122 just north of the bridge is calling you. IIRC they mainly stocked rifles, but I'm sure if you go in there a lot the guy will probably order what ever you want.

The best deals on ammo that I have found in the are is the gun show at Roanoke or Salem. Other than that you'll have to have a shop order the quantity you want in most cases.

You have a PM inbound with a POC for the Bedford Rifle/Pistol Club.

Links