Your year in review

This is a discussion on Your year in review within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Like to throw out a comparison thread and poll here. Compare this past year with previous years since you've been 'into' firearms for one reason ...

View Poll Results: My firearms procurement for this past year compared to others

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm running about average with years past obtaining firearms

36 23.08%
  • I'm running below average compared to years past

33 21.15%
  • I'm running above average compared to years past

78 50.00%
  • I've maxxed out my credit cards for good reason

9 5.77%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your year in review

Your year in review

Like to throw out a comparison thread and poll here. Compare this past year with previous years since you've been 'into' firearms for one reason or another. Whether just for carry purposes, or hunting purposes, or plinking, or collecting. Have you maintained an average of obtaining new or used guns, below average, or above average due to any circumstances? Personally, I get into two new-to-me guns a year on average. Bought new, bought used, or traded into. This years has run average for me, but limitations of funding have made it a bit harder than usual. Last year, I sold one pistol, and traded for another, and got an old Remington model 511 Scoremaster. This year was my newest Glock, and the recent 870 shotgun. First time in many years I've put something on layaway as well. Well, hit the poll, then elaborate if you wish.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    It's been about average, in the last year I've rounded out my collection a bit and finally found some guns that I've been seeking for a while, most notably a Belgian Browning .22 auto and a Colt Gov't .380.

I finally bought a high capacity 9mm.

In the past year I've added two more revolvers to the stable and the most beneficial addition re: "Gun stuff" was the gun safe.

Previously, I was either buying/selling or just buying something new about every two months....

This year slowed due to the upcoming arrival of our little bundle of joy.

Senior Moderator
    I average about 2 a year and I got two this year
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Lead Moderator
    Little above this year. I planned on a rifle, got that. Ended up getting a revolver for my wife and a SIG 220-EOD, both totally unplanned.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    I haven't gotten to the credit cards yet, but I'm thinking about it.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

I need to add this up.

Last year...G21, G30, G26, GP100, G34 (traded G26), RIA 1911 Tactical, DPMS AR, Stag lower, Russian SKS, S&W M19-4, Sig 226SAS (traded M19-4)...that's all that come to mind. I traded off a Taurus Tracker .357 and a RIA GI 1911. So, darn near in the gun a month club. But, I also bought a safe.

This year...PTR91k (traded 226SAS), P7, XD-M, Norinco SKS paratrooper, Witness Match 10mm, Marlin 1895M, FNH PBR-XP (traded XDM), G21 (spare), No.2 Enfield, and my latest acquisition today:

A Maadi AK that someone has kindly done all the 922r work on already. I've gotten rid of a regular Witness 10mm, a M48 Yugo Mauser, a M59/66 Yugo SKS, and an old Iver-Johnson .32. I'm looking to also get rid of a Enfield No.4Mk1, a Star BM, and a CZ52.

Looks like I'm a little behind this year, but darn close. I'll need to make up for it...hmm..I think I will need that spare G30...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Last year a S&W 19-4, Marlin 336, RIA 1911 and AR-7, this year an Oyl AR-15, AK-47, Beretta 1201FP 12ga, Tauras PT1911, Tauras M85 Ultra-Lite, SA XD-9 and a Henry 22lr lever gun for the son. I still have x-mas coming, kids and wife always get me 1 firearm for x-mas.
    Semper Fi

I am running way behind. Since I retired each year it gets harder to save money for firearms. When the gas prices started skyrocketing and the prices of things went up, there was no money left for guns.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I am running way behind. Since I retired each year it gets harder to save money for firearms. When the gas prices started skyrocketing and the prices of things went up, there was no money left for guns.
    I hear you. This isn't a contest poll, and nobody need feel left out. The gas prices affected our budget as well, and going into winter thinking about home heating costs and all. The economy put us behind a bit just like most others considering years past, and some of those unexpected costs come up as well. I'd like to think this poll would be an indication of how the economic issues this past year have affected some of us and our love or hobby which keeps most of us on the upper side of sanity. Thanks for posting. By the way....I still haven't received my stimulus check from the IRS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    our love or hobby which keeps most of us on the upper side of sanity.
    You got that right. I just hope that I can continue to somewhat afford the sanity.

-Jeff-

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    You got that right. I just hope that I can continue to somewhat afford the sanity.

-Jeff-
    Guns and ammo gets us off cheap in comparison......prescriptions and pills can become very expensive! Not to mention the co-pays, the out-sourced lab tests, the hours wasted for 'on time' appointments. LOL!

I hadn't added to my collection in years. This year wife and I were sensing the times are changing, then came the election. At the end of this year I will have bought six new weapons. Four handguns, one shotgun & a rifle. Now I need a bigger safe.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Guns and ammo gets us off cheap in comparison......prescriptions and pills can become very expensive! Not to mention the co-pays, the out-sourced lab tests, the hours wasted for 'on time' appointments. LOL!
    That's very true. I now feel better about my...umm...addiction.

-Jeff-

jfl
    I hear you. This isn't a contest poll, and nobody need feel left out. The gas prices affected our budget as well, and going into winter thinking about home heating costs and all. The economy put us behind a bit just like most others considering years past, and some of those unexpected costs come up as well. I'd like to think this poll would be an indication of how the economic issues this past year have affected some of us and our love or hobby which keeps most of us on the upper side of sanity. Thanks for posting. By the way....I still haven't received my stimulus check from the IRS.
    Neither did we
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    in terms of total numbers, I'm actually on the negative side this year. I just got rid of a few lower quality firearms and added a fewer number of higher quality firearms. I'm old enough now that I see quality means more to me than quantity. I'm gonna hurt next year though (if there is a "next year") since I don't have any more cheapo's for trade fodder

surv

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links