Dot sights?

Dot sights?

This is a discussion on Dot sights? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I have grown up shooting rifles and older handguns none of which had dot sights. These dot sights are causing me some problems. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dot sights?

Dot sights?

So I have grown up shooting rifles and older handguns none of which had dot sights. These dot sights are causing me some problems. I keep shooting low, but perfectly on target with any pistol that doesn't have dots. Whithout dots the top of the sights should be level and on target. With dots, obviously aligne the dots, but do the dots go on target or does the top of the sights go on target (since the dots sit lower then then the top)?

Senior Moderator
    On mine, the front dot goes where you want the round.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Your front blade should be aligned to the top of the back site. The dots are so you can pick up the front blade with you eye quicker. Are you shooting 2 dots on the back site, one on either side of the rear cutout or 1 dot at the bottom of the cutout.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Your front blade should be aligned to the top of the back site. The dots are so you can pick up the front blade with you eye quicker. Are you shooting 2 dots on the back site, one on either side of the rear cutout or 1 dot at the bottom of the cutout.
    2 on either side and one in front.

All three dots should be in alignment just like your top edge.
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    All three dots should be in alignment just like your top edge.
    Yes,, understood, but do the dots go on target or does the top edge?

The top edge of the blade should be right at the bottom of exactly where you want to hit. If you are shooting low at 21 ft or more you may be anticipating the recoil just a little.
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Ok. Thanks. I was thinking that with these dot sights the dot is supposed to be on target not the top edge. Yeah I was low at about the 21 ft mark didn't try any further then that.

In summary...the dots are to aid in sighting faster, not the actual sight for point of impact, that is still the top edge?

TOF
    My solution was to file the dots off and re blue the fresh metal areas. I later installed a Fibre Optic front. I also filed the top of the rear to place POI 1 inch above top of sights (front-rear level at top) at 15 yards. It works well for this old timer.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    With Three Dot Sights my sight picture looks like this Post Dot sight picture but of course with dots on the rear sight:
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks everyone. Next question.... Looking at thumpers pic of the sight don't dot sights actually decrease your view of the target? A little?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    With Three Dot Sights my sight picture looks like this Post Dot sight picture but of course with dots on the rear sight:
    OK I am new to shooting handguns too. There was a Quote above that said that all three blades of the sites (2 rear, 1 front) should be lined up horizontally and the top of the front blade should be just below where you want the round to go.

Isnt this picture in Thumpers reply showing the body of the front blade centered vertically on the target center.

SO to clarify do I put the top of the front blade at the center of the target or do I center the blade on the target?

Senior Moderator
    The dots work IF you can see them. If you learn to rely on the dots and get into a lighting situation where you can't see the dots, it will be confusing and slow.

When I shoot, (which is once or twice a week) I am often in good day light, but the lighting conditions are such that I simply can't see the dots, but I do have a good sight outline. I think that's one of the downsides of competitive shooting - those FO sights work so well in that bright outdoor sunlight, but when lighting is subdued the FO sight contrast goes down dramatically.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

BAC
    I've learned learned that the dots distract me, and have since blacked them out. When I draw and align sights, I'm looking for an "outline" of the complete sight picture, instead of trying to line up dots. It's worked pretty well for me in everything except low-light/no-light shooting. For that I just do a lot of drawing/dry-firing, then draw with eyes closed and see if the sights lined up (if they don't, more eyes open practice).

-B

Sorry for cut in the thread, doesn't your eye sight also plays a big role on your shooting, I know on all my guns I have to adjust the rear sight almost .080 to the right in order for me to shoot on the target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links