School lawyer took teams air rifles.....

This is a discussion on School lawyer took teams air rifles..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'll have more info tomorrow but I what I do know is upsetting. It seems that an attorney for a local high school has taken ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School lawyer took teams air rifles.....

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar

I'll have more info tomorrow but I what I do know is upsetting. It seems that an attorney for a local high school has taken possession of the Rifle teams air rifles and he won't give them back! The guns were purchased by fund raisers,, not out of districts budget. It seems that a team member (Jr. Olympic competitor) had the rifle in his car and someone accused him of trying to steal his team rifle. The young man is part of the schools Jr. ROTC Program and a member of the schools medal winning Air Rifle team....they need to get the rifles back before Dec 15th or they'll miss a match coming up in Utica NY...like I said, more info tomorrow, but if any one has any ideas on how to convince this Doctor of Juris to give back what ain't legally his.....school officials are useless and to far left of center....team has been around a few years and it seems as if 'they' were just waiting for an excuse to disarm these good kids.....anything would help.

New York High School....Air Rifle.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    This is maddening. Please keep us posted.

Whoever bought the rifles needs to file a police report charging the lawyer with theft

If that don't work then file a small claims lawsuit accusing him of theft/misappropriation of property
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Fight a lawyer with a lawyer. Sue him, the school, and the school board.

Go to the press. They like to rake muck. Let them fight for you.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    The folks that bought the air rifles AND the team are missing a golden opportunity to fight back if they dont sue. Just because the guy is a lawyer doesnt mean that he can confiscate the lawfully owned property of others.

Ron
    Call the NRA and see if they can get an attorney willing to handle this matter pro bono(free of charge). Given the current political climate relative to the Second Amendment, you might have some success.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

A school attorney does not have the authority to 'physically' take anything. Who actually put his/her hands on the air rifles?
    This sounds like a 'theft' to me.
    Contact local PD. Based upon the information given, this will be your quickest relief.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Whoever bought the rifles needs to file a police report charging the lawyer with theft
    Start with that. Unlawful confiscation is theft.
    Edit to add: NY may be different, but I don't believe JD's may function as LEs in any context. Even if the rifles are "illegal", the JD is illegally in possession.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Call the cops.
    This is simple theft.
    He may not agree with the idea of the air rifles but theres no authority for him to sieze the guns.

The cops will make it simple for him. give us the guns to return or we have to take official action. Even a lawyer doesn't need that kind of grief.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

The guns were purchased by fund raisers,, not out of districts budget.
    It does not matter if these were purchased with the district's budget money or not. If the guns are NOT the private property of the students themselves, as they were purchased with fundraiser money for the school district (essentially a donation to the school district), then air rifles are district property...just like when fundraisers (both internal and external) and done for other equipment such as other sports team gear, library books, etc.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    If they were the school's rifles and the attorney was acting on behalf of the school...which it sounds like in your post...don't think that is theft. I am also confused with your post...is it all rifles or only the kid that left his in his car?

I don't think this is a case of "disarming these good kids". Jr ROTC is sanctioned by the school and no doubt, the air rifle team. I suspect it is more along the lines of some security for the air rifles...and it does appear the kid broke the rules for that security if he had it in his car on school grounds.

Waiting for more to the story...

Rick

VIP Member
    Sounds to me like he was taking possession of school owned property as part of his duties as an employee of the school district. Not theft. If it was theft, the principle or the district superintendent would be upset and take action.

We don't know the whole story. G-d only knows what the kids were doing.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Thanks to 'the overseer' who moved this to the correct area...
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Why does the school have a lawyer???
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member

Because the world is complex

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Why does the school have a lawyer???
    This one is easy. The world is complex. Practically everything school officials do is covered by various laws, sometimes conflicting, and educators are not in a position to do their jobs without counsel.

It is this way with practically every business too. There is almost nothing anyone can do these days that doesn't involve complex and confusing laws.

I wish it weren't his way, but we have more than 300 million people with different views of what common sense means. So here we are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links