The Obama Effect on Gun Sales - Page 2

The Obama Effect on Gun Sales

This is a discussion on The Obama Effect on Gun Sales within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am working at a gun shop and we had been selling 1 AR a week with many buyers mentioning the coming election as their ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Obama Effect on Gun Sales

I am working at a gun shop and we had been selling 1 AR a week with many buyers mentioning the coming election as their motivation.

Election day we sold 4 ARs, WED we sold 6 and a Sig 556, THURS another 6 and a couple AK style. Yesterday (11-10) we were down to 3 AKs and 2 high end ARs and a couple riot guns, fortunately we got 6 more ARs in yesterday and we are having trouble finding any distributors that have any in stock.

Also our stock of defensive handguns is quickly being depleted, especially the models with mag capacities greater than 10 rounds. Daily sales are up 400-800% compared to even a week before the election. We also have an indoor range and we are seeing an influx of new shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I don't see the OP as a "whiner" and really not sure who your rant is directed to. I expect most here stocked up a little after 911 and will stock up more now. I know I certainly am. We'll wait for you to wake up and interpret the rest of your rant for us....
    My bad. I think just the thread title is what got me going to start with. The way I see it, "the Obama effect" really has nothing to do with "Obama". It's the people effect in my book. Our fellow Americans that ultimately turn the screws on their fellow man. I hint at the 9-11 scenarios simply to show that on the darker side, your fellow citizens are more than willing to screw us over in the panic mode (the excessive gas prices and gouging that went on) , and when the population is in panic, they only feed those who would take advantage of us all. Yes, I understand the concept of economics and the supply/demand. Thing is if people would get out of that 'scared herd' mentality, these situations wouldn't happen. I didn't mean to imply that anyone here was whining, just that I know some are. Then there is our fellow brother who is just now waking up and discovering that his wants or needs have become further out of reach with the availability and the pricing. All because the herd has started the panic. I am also not implying that all gun shops would take advantage of their fellow Americans, but greed does seem to go along with humanity. I hope that no children will go hungry in the process of panic buying. If the general American public would have been sticking with their ideals all along, we wouldn't be in this predicament right now. The human mind is supposed to be better than those in the animal kingdom. I don't have anything against the panic buyer, but I simply can't muster any sympathy for them nor feel badly about how they are getting taken to the cleaners over this ordeal. Sure we should look into the future, but we can't call it "the Obama effect".....it's the people effect, and history does repeat itself even though I don't think it should. I just don't see any good reason for the current state of affairs. And looking further into the future, this scenario may cause further financial stress in the nation where that infrastructure is already fragile. A pack of wild animals doesn't think about implications of their actions, and for the most part.......neither do we. Does anyone think there is a possibility that all this panic has actually been set up by an Obama plan? To somehow register firearms owners, or create regional demographics for the upcoming administration? The reasons why the government continues to do the things they do is because the population is so...so predictable.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Does anyone think there is a possibility that all this panic has actually been set up by an Obama plan? To somehow register firearms owners, or create regional demographics for the upcoming administration?
    No.

What kind of crazy-talk is this? People are simply reacting to Obama's views on guns. There is no conspiracy here.

Sure, maybe he would like to take advantage of it, but it wasn't caused by some great plan.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I just got back from Academy in Plano and the guy behind the counter told me that in his 2 years of working there they have sold 2 S&W M&P AR-15, but in the last 2 weeks they have sold 60.

Either way the gun manufacturers are making out like bandits and we are getting our stuff. Worst case there is no AWB and we still ave our stuff and the satisfaction of knowing we helped to stimulate the economy.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Is it possible just possible that not only there will be a ban + a ban on the guns that you already own???

I did not support Mr. Obama, but now that he WILL be taking over the White House, along with the other democrats, I anticipate more useless gun laws coming. Accordingly, I've added some items to my collection that might be later banned or in short supply. I wanted an AR, so I bought one in advance of the election, I've been picking up more mags for the Glocks & AR, as well as adding to my ammo stock. Not in a panic, just looking ahead to what might come to pass and taking appropriate action. Some way I keep emergency food, water & first aid supplies on hand.

I do hope those that are flocking to the gun stores to buy a gun, do KNOW how to handle it safely.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Is it possible just possible that not only there will be a ban + a ban on the guns that you already own???
    The media image of agents going 'door to door' would be way too harmful. It would cause irreparable damage to the Democrat party, which has for a long time tried to play itself off as 'relatively gun friendly'.

A ban on transfer, possible. Door to door confiscations, never.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I hope everyone on this forum before the election had prepared for the possibility of an Obama victory. I know I spent a small fortune stockpiling handguns, an assault rifle and ammunition this last year alone. I still need to get a good combat shotgun, hopefully sometime before the end of the year - Santa Claus are you listening?
    God bless our troops!

Two of the local gun shops are all out of semi-auto rifles. 1st to go was the AR's then the AK's then the Mini's. Don't know when they can re-stock. Haven't seen a panic like at the grocery store before the hurricane hits, but definitely a big increase in interest.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Having spoke to a few people and gun shop owners today, I must admit I must be wrong. Everyone's sales the last few days since the election have increased 200% + (and sales were already good prior to the election).

So there is something special that has happened in the last week, and the only reasonable factor is who one or lost. I still think there is a panic, but the motive is who won the election.

PS- Here is a relevant article I just read online.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...ml?source=mypi
    Last edited by Thanis; November 11th, 2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added site

Me and my parents are getting our CPLs, new carry guns, and stocking up on ammo in direct response to Obama. We've tossed the idea around for a few months as a "Ya know, I need to do that..." type thing, but that was the final straw.

When my parents went into Sportsman's Warehouse here to look around the day after the election they said there were 2-3 people at the counter. When I went in two days after that (same time of day) there were over 2 dozen.

Same thing happening here as well, Saturday at the gun shop was so busy it was hard to get though the isles, and for the first time there was a 30 minute wait for a shooting lane at the range, all 18 lanes were full. The gun shop owner said hand guns were selling fast dozens per day, rifles were alot slower. CCW classes are booked 2 to 3weeks in advance.
    Well the president elect. said he would change the economy to increase retail sales, so far it's working for shooting industries.
    Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do

I will share some history with all:

I remember when Clinton was elected president; I held an FFL then that I used for myself and my friends to get firearms and accessories at wholesale prices since I was heavily into IPSC at the time (working on the "M" card which I got in 1994) so I was doing almost constant business. My FFL renewal was only about $25 per year, and I had mine for about 6 years.

There were many warnings exactly like the ones we are seeing today about Clinton that came from the NRA, and also about the kind of people he would be teaming up with in Congress if he were elected. What I remember were a lot of my co-workers and people I knew telling me that Clinton supported hunters and the second amendment, being from Arkansas and that gun owners had nothing to fear from him. Many of these same people were disillusioned by Bush 1 and bought into the lies that Clinton told. He was elected our president.

I remember getting on the phone with some distributors and buying everything I could lay my hands on about 2 months before the election; I purchased:

10 SKS rifles for $80 each; With each rifle I bought a 1000 round case of Norinco steel case ammo for $79 per thousand.

I bought 2 Norinco M14s ($399) each with a 200 round battle tin of .308 Nato ammo ($55).

I bought 2 Colt Delta match competition H-BARS/W removable carry handles
    for $1100 each; 1000 rounds of SS109 green tip went for $220 per.

I bought 4 Taurus PT-92 9mm pistols for $300 each with 2 high-cap mags included.

I bought 10 glock 9mm high cap mags for $29 each. I also bought 10 .45 caliber Glock mags for the same price.

I bought 2 Benelli M5 semi-automatic police shotguns as well as 1 Franchi SPAS.

Well, after the election I got my first taste of what a democratic administration was capable of: I went to renew my license in June of that year, and was greeted with a very cold reception by the ATF; before Clinton, an agent swung by the house and inspected my sales log and paperwork, allowing the renewal of my license on the spot. After the election, I went to the federal building and was interrogated (and I do mean interrogated) by 3 ATF agents who then informed me that I could no longer run my business from my home; I was alo informed that the price of the license had increased more than tenfold. I made the remark that was crazy, what are you guys doing, trying to put me out of business? their answer was a curt yes, we are being mandated to reduce the number of FFl holders by executive order.

Thats when I started selling off my stash;

The SKSs went for $400 dollars each with a case of ammo.

I sold one AR Delta match HBAR for $3000; remember this was a pre-ban model. The other resides in my safe to this day.

The M14s were sold for $1400 apiece with the battle tins.

The 4 taurus pistols sold for $400 apiece, but the mags i sold with them were ten rounders. The high cap mags went for $90 each.

The 9mm Glock mags eventually all sold for $100 per mag; the 45 caliber mags went for $120.

One of the Benelli M5s was sold for $1200; the other one became my competition shotgun when i shot 3 gun matches. I eventually sold the gun I kept because I was tired of 3 gun shooting and it was starting to loosen up after 20,000 rounds.....

So the moral of this lengthy story I am telling is that everybody needs to obey their instincts here; even though Clinton wowed everybody with his silver tongue, all the NRA people and the serious gun owners were absolutely right about him, and we are going to be proven right about Obama as well.

because rotten fruit rarely falls far from the same tree......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

The problem is self prepetuating. Obama or not when the demand is greater than the supply the price will go up.

I knew that the prices were going to go up because of the Dems being in charge. I might be part of the problem but I have been planning on purchasing an AR so better now then later.

I talked to a local gunshop owner who stated that if Obama won he was doubling his prices the next day. I left his store and contacted a very large LE supplier and he stated that he had not heard of any rush on AR, or anything else.

I went ahead (with 3 other officers) and we ordered some S&W M&P15T rifles.

Two days later I called to ask about getting another and he stated that they had released all the LE supply to the cilivian store becaue there was a run on them..

I'm glad I ordered mine when I did.

Just doing my part to stimulate the economy.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

I refuse to pay exhorbitant prices on anything,I am currently waiting on 3 AR15 lowers to build rifles out of which will give me 6 AR15's in different configurations,all but one RRA are kit guns.I have about 12 30 round mags for my AR's and may end up buying some more as long as I can find them around 12.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links