The Obama Effect on Gun Sales

This is a discussion on The Obama Effect on Gun Sales within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I keep reading that Americans are buying guns on a record breaking pace, despite the drastic downturn in sales of automobiles and other consumer goods. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I keep reading that Americans are buying guns on a record breaking pace, despite the drastic downturn in sales of automobiles and other consumer goods. This is, of course, due to fears that there will soon be bans on sales of certain types of semi-auto guns and magazines of over 10 rounds capacity.

Count me among that crowd. I ordered a half-dozen extra 13 and 15 round .40 cal. magazines for my Glock 23 last night from Midway USA and found their website very slow due to the sheer volume of other buyers. I want to stave off the day when I have to feed 10 round mags into the G23.

Unlike many of these panic buyers, I'm not in the market for an AR15 right now; I've already bought two new handguns this year, so I've got to put the brakes on to keep the wifey happy.

Day late, and a dollar short. Panic buying only gives in to the transition. I hope you voted for. If you didn't, I feel no need to sympathize. I have a few words for the panic buyers, and some of those words are not allowed here. You see, I remember 9-11 and how our fellow man thought about making money off his brother in light of disaster. I'll remember things like this forever. Panic buyer?.......my opinion is that these folks didn't do enough when the time came. It's too late now. Live with your own mistakes. I, for one don't have time to deal with your mistakes. I'll live with my own.
    Quite frankly....I'm sick and tired of whiners.

Ram Rod, I'll give you that some (I say "some") of those panic buyers MAY be dumbies that voted Obama. But from the local shop here: I see many of the buyers did not vote Obama, screamed from the rooftops the dangers of such a vote, and are buying because of the results of the election that went against their wishes. The danger did not start on November 5th, NOR did they start buying guns and ammo on November 5th. In Cali the THREAT of increased sales tax, increased ammo tax, and further onerous regulation and fees have heightened the need to stock up NOW. Yet I would not term it "panic" buying.....just deliberate PREPARATION FOR AN UNCERTAIN FUTURE. Just IMO.

I wish i was a gun store owner about now...$$$$$$$

i'd be on TV telling everyone "BUY BUY BUY OBAMA WILL BAN EVERYTHING BUY BUY BUY"

I think hysteria is getting to the point where it is both cause and effect.

I just hope the increase of idiots buying handguns does not increase the number of unsecured weapons (and children getting hurt). Both because of lives lost, but also because it will also become other anti-gun justification for...

I know someone who just bought a .38 Spl +P with laser grips (for her safety). She stores the handgun in the night stand (wants easy access) and the children do not know about it. I can understand doing this at night, but if you are not with the handgun, and have teens, I think they should know about the firearm, and it should be secured.

I also know several people who have started buying a box of ammo for their family hand-me-down firearm.

I think it is a bad mix.

At the same time, I admit, the purchase of a G33 is getting to be more than a itch, and I've bought ammo, because I am starting to react to the hysteria. More accurately, I'm reacting to the hysteria because I see it is becoming panic / hysteria.

A couple of news stories tried to sell it that it's due to the economy and people's fear there will be more crime as a result. No one bought that line.

Isn't it ironic... how many guns were sold , due to an anti-gun politician.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Tomorrow I am buying back the AR I sold to a friend some years ago...because I can afford to, not because I'm panicking. Went to Midway tonight looking for ammo...out of stock almost completely on 223. Bummer.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Day late, and a dollar short. Panic buying only gives in to the transition. I hope you voted for. If you didn't, I feel no need to sympathize. I have a few words for the panic buyers, and some of those words are not allowed here. You see, I remember 9-11 and how our fellow man thought about making money off his brother in light of disaster. I'll remember things like this forever. Panic buyer?.......my opinion is that these folks didn't do enough when the time came. It's too late now. Live with your own mistakes. I, for one don't have time to deal with your mistakes. I'll live with my own.
    Ram Rod: I have done some panic buying.

I voted for McCain, talked multiple quiet supporters into putting up signs and being open about their support, and nagged my brother to register to vote then called him on election day to make sure he had gone to support our cause. I called all of my friends and family to make sure they would make it to the polls. I gave what little money I had at the time to the Ron Paul campaign during the primary. I made it my personal mission to try to convince everyone I could to vote and to vote for Ron Paul in the primary, then again McCain in the general election.

Yes, I am a panic buyer. But it's not like it is my fault; I have been there every step of the way.

My panic buying also began over a year ago, when I purchased my AR-15 in anticipation of Bush causing a large victory for Democrats in the 2008 elections.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Ram Rod;
    What kind of response is that? Most of it what you write are just cliches that are meaningless without some explanatory context. Who spat in your Wheaties today? I was making a simple observation confirming what the news media has been reporting regarding increased gun sales, and you come back accusing me of something! But what that something is isn't really clear.

"Panic buying gives in to the transition?" What is that supposed to mean? What transition?

"I hope you voted for." That's not even a complete sentence; what do you mean?

"Panic buyer?.......my opinion is that these folks didn't do enough when the time came." There are a lot of American gun owners stocking up right now. How can you lump all of them into the "didn't do enough" pot? Tom Gresham, on his Gun Talk Radio has been "doing enough" for months, urging people to beware the Obama/Biden plans for renewing the Clinton era Assault Weapons Ban, and now he's recommending that we buy those things that will be banned if the AWB is renewed. I was telling every gun owner I knew of the danger of the Democratic ticket. But you sit there smug in your prejudgment of everyone.

Then you throw in the 9-11 bomb. What's that got to do with last week's election? Maybe it does, but you certainly didn't make the connection.

"Live with your own mistakes." What are you talking about? My original post didn't admit to having made any mistakes. So if you're going to mention them in your response, why not spell out what they are instead of making me guess? Maybe I can learn from my mistakes if I knew what they are; teach me, Master.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I don't see the OP as a "whiner" and really not sure who your rant is directed to. I expect most here stocked up a little after 911 and will stock up more now. I know I certainly am. We'll wait for you to wake up and interpret the rest of your rant for us....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Moderator
    jofrdo,
    I work at a gun shop and know first hand what you are talking about.

Before the election we were experiencing pretty good sales (then again, we always get good sales around hunting season anyway).

All I want is ammo...lol.

My primary gun is a 1911 which only takes 8+1 rounds anyway and the magazines for those aren't going away any time soon but I could sure use a large stock pile of ammo.

The week of the election I did not work because I'm so close to my due date and was experiencing some pretty bad pain.

I went in on Saturday to pick up my paycheck and my boss told me to look in our handgun safe... it was practically empty!

I haven't seen it so empty since I started there.

Also, another surprise what how many gun safes we've sold.

I can understand the handguns, but I guess people are now also worried about thieves wanting those guns that are being sold like crazy.

We've sold 4 safes AT LEAST!

Yes, these times are good times to be a gun store owner. Let's hope that isn't followed up by bad times to be a gun store owner.

Not quite sure I'd call it panic buying. Maybe preparedness buying would be better. I have my eyes on a new shotgun Mossberg 595 bullpup that a gun shop up the street is selling. Just don't have the money for it. Maybe, I'll get lucky close to X-mas, who knows.

I know where my vote went, and I sleep well knowing I spoke my piece, even though it didn't help as the sheep saw a wolf in sheeps clothing, but didn't see the teeth.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I am adding to my stock also. Not just for panic buying reasons but my daughter and son-in-law can't afford to do that sort of thing. My plans are to keep training and teaching for many years to come, I hope anyway. Besides if times get really tough I have something to bargain with.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I bought my pistols 2 years ago, but when I saw that OB was getting popular, I went and purchased an AK-47 believing that this type of gun would be first on the hit-list to be ban. Along with 500rnd of ammo 3 50rnd clips, 2 35 rnd clips.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

I know who was elected and / or the econ is a factor, but I see that more to do with sales of AR-15 (and other possible ban weapons) and maybe even ammo tax worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    Not quite sure I'd call it panic buying...
    I respectfully disagree (and I am sincere in trying to be respectfully in my disagreement).

I can see why this might be stated, but that is because the water is getting muddy with different causes for each type of sale. I know each factor plays a part, but the motivation for new handguns is not the same as the other sales. In SE MI, the gun shops are flooded with used pistols. People selling their hand gun is more the econ issue (not new gun sales). If it was a real econ issue, then you would see the increase in used firearms. I think people with a little money, are pulling money from the banks (a related econ issue, FYI safe sales have increase a lot in SE MI), they are flooded with cash, and feel the need for protection. Money on hand + media reporting everyone is buying handguns = panic to buy.

In the last 30 days (when media like NBC started reporting on gun sales), reporting prompted several sales, a new handgun and a box of ammo purchases, and is panic IMO.
    Last edited by Thanis; November 11th, 2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links