AR calibers?

This is a discussion on AR calibers? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Starting to give these rifles another look. Always been far more of an AK fan, as I pretty much never falter from the "bigger bullet ...

Thread: AR calibers?

AR calibers?

Starting to give these rifles another look. Always been far more of an AK fan, as I pretty much never falter from the "bigger bullet is better" mentality.

However, I do like guns, ALL of them. So why not give the AR BB guns another look?

Anywho, after looking around a bit. Seems like the logical "must have" caliber is the 5.45x39, as ammo is cheap and plentiful. $120 smackers for 1k rounds.. Sign me up!!

However, it seems nobody buys AR's in that caliber, as most go with the 5.56/.223 ammo. That runs $360+ per 1k rounds..

Am I overlooking something? Why would anyone purchase any caliber but the 5.45?
    I work to buy guns. Not really, but sometimes it feels that way..

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I've always wanted an AR-10 (.308). I just hope that I will still be able to get one when I have the $1500 for it.

Longer range and more power is nice.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

ar calibers

When building my AR I went with .223 for standard acessablility to ammo. later on i did the math and figured with the price difference i could buy a smith&wesson 5.45x39 complete upper and 3 c products mags for the difference in cost on 3000 rounds so I bought the gear and 3000 rounds all at once.

My fear with 5.45x39 is most ammo supply is surplus and I don't feel its popular enough to warrant new manufacture. So long term availability of ammo is a concern being that most ammo is steel case non reloadable.

Just why I chose .223 first then invested in 5.45x39 secondly.

Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    When building my AR I went with .223 for standard acessablility to ammo. later on i did the math and figured with the price difference i could buy a smith&wesson 5.45x39 complete upper and 3 c products mags for the difference in cost on 3000 rounds so I bought the gear and 3000 rounds all at once.

My fear with 5.45x39 is most ammo supply is surplus and I don't feel its popular enough to warrant new manufacture. So long term availability of ammo is a concern being that most ammo is steel case non reloadable.

Just why I chose .223 first then invested in 5.45x39 secondly.
    Well, that pretty much sums it up in my book. I know some of the current AK's were built for this cartridge, but I don't really see the benefits over a 5.56x45.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    I've always wanted an AR-10 (.308). I just hope that I will still be able to get one when I have the $1500 for it.

Longer range and more power is nice.
    YES! I aswell. Really any type of MBR chambered in 7.62x51. But again, ammo cost is a huge issue.

Think I might do the opposite of gilliland87 and get the 5.45 and ammo now. Then purchase the upper down the line if I start to worry about accessability.

I didn't factor in future ammo production for the 5.45, which is why I guess I should buy it now and stockpile! However, still planning on getting my target 1911 first.

Sucks having so many toys on the list to buy. I guess that's why I work my butt off.

Hey just thought of a new sig line!
    I work to buy guns. Not really, but sometimes it feels that way..

I have an AR10 and about 1000 rounds of .308 left that I bought when it was about .10 cents a round shipped brass case boxer primed,I am saving the brass for reloading in the future
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't see any problem going with 5.45 as long as you have the funds to purchase a large stockpile of the ammo. Just my .02

-Jeff-

Ammo

I just think it's going to be too easy to lose the supply of surplus ammo. Too easy for an Executive Order to cut off military ammo imports. Happened with Clinton and the Chinese stuff.

Links