Which first?

This is a discussion on Which first? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some background first. I already have an M4gery, a Benelli, three Glocks in 9mm and a new M&P 9 Pro. Okay. Here is my dilemma. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which first?

Which first?

Some background first. I already have an M4gery, a Benelli, three Glocks in 9mm and a new M&P 9 Pro.

Okay. Here is my dilemma. I'm thinking about getting another firearm. I have narrowed the choice between two, a 9mm AR carbine or a Kimber Stainless Target in 9mm. I am staying with 9mm because I do not want to have to stockpile another calibre.

Pros and Cons for both.
    The 9mm carbine.
    Pros: it will be a second rifle that will be able to supplement the M4gery that I already have. It is an "EBR" and we all that these are going to be one of the first things to possibly be banned.

Cons: it is more expensive so I'll have to save up longer to get it. I'm not sure what the availability of the magazines will be in the future. I have had my M4 for 4 years and I have maybe put 200 rounds through it. I don't shoot rifle much. I'm more of a pistol (IDPA) guy.

The Kimber
    Pros: As mentioned previously, I'm more of a pistol shooter so this will get used more than the rifle. I would use it to shoot ESP. Currently, all i have are SSP pistols. it would make a nice change of pace. Wilson is making some nice magazines for it so they would be easy to get. it is also a bit less expensive.

Cons: I already have 4 pistols with plenty of magazines for all. I have two for carry purposes and two for use at matches. I don't really "need" another one at this time.

Which one should I save up for first, and why?
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

2. Remove Ads

BAC
    I think a 9mm AR would be a good choice. Most pistol ranges will let you shoot pistol-caliber rifles, so it would let you get some practice with the rifle. Magazines are problematic, though (whoever makes the first dead reliable 9mm magazine for ARs will make a killing).

Have you considered 3-gun? Since you already do IDPA, I was wondering how you'd feel about adding your rifle and shotgun into the mix...

-B

My vote would be for the Kimber. I would want to buy what I would get the most use of. That's just me though.

-Jeff-

You really need something in 45acp IMO.

Get a 9mm upper and mags for your AR or spend alot less money and buy a Keltec SUB-2000 9mm that takes Glock mags and spend the extra on a few more mags and alot more ammo.

Get the Kimber, but in a .45...spice up your SD life!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Cons: it is more expensive so I'll have to save up longer to get it. I'm not sure what the availability of the magazines will be in the future.
    IMO, your time to "save up" for these at-risk items is nearly over. That might well play into the decision.

If you're active in IDPA, don't shoot the rifle much and already have one, I'd think that the pistola would be the sensible choice. But then, there's nothing sensible about gut feel. Go with what moves you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The AR will afford you more impact, range, more rounds, and accuracy with a longer barrel.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Senior Moderator
    I'm for long guns first, and pistols second.

My reasoning is if the SHTF I'd rather have a rifle and my pistol is there to get me too my rifle.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Get both. Which one do you think is more in demand then buy that gun, save up and buy the other one. Or better buy 2 pistols instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You really need something in 45acp IMO.
    +1
    If you need ammo and can't lay your hands on any 9mm
    the .45 is the way to go.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

To address some comments. In the last few months I have been spending all my "discretionary income" buying extra ammo and magazines for what I already have. That was my first priority. It is also why I haven't gotten either of these two I'm looking at yet.

As I said previously, I do not want to get started in another calibre. if I did then I'd have to spend at least double the amount of either firearm just to try and get enough ammo stockpiled. I'll pass.

Thanks for the replies.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    To address some comments. In the last few months I have been spending all my "discretionary income" buying extra ammo and magazines for what I already have. That was my first priority. It is also why I haven't gotten either of these two I'm looking at yet.

As I said previously, I do not want to get started in another calibre. if I did then I'd have to spend at least double the amount of either firearm just to try and get enough ammo stockpiled. I'll pass.

Thanks for the replies.
    That cool
    I would say go with the Kimber then, because it a
    gun that you WILL shoot and not at all like your
    Glocks.
    I myself like handguns more an long guns too.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Get the Kimber, but in a .45...spice up your SD life!
    I agree, as you may at some point in the future not be able to easily get 9mm and having different calibers allows you to have a wider variety to pick from.

I'm not saying that you need a handgun in every caliber, but a few in "common" calibers doesn't hurt. I myself have .357 Magnum, 38 Special, 45 ACP, 9mm, 44 Magnum and 45 Colt. One of them should be easy to find ammo for in a pinch.

With that said, I've considered buying a 40 S&W for the same reason with a 357 Sig Barrel, but I just haven't broke down to do it yet. Another issue, if all you can get is 'ball ammo, I myself would only feel comfortable carrying the 45 ACP, but that's just me.

Biker

Just to add something different.

How about a rifle upper for your AR. Something with a 1/7" twist, 20-24" barrel. You don't seem to have anything for long range.
    -Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links