???? about AWB 2008

This is a discussion on ???? about AWB 2008 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know this topic has been worked to death but I got to thinking. After reading the proposed ban, would private sale of thi-cap AR ...

Thread: ???? about AWB 2008

???? about AWB 2008

I know this topic has been worked to death but I got to thinking. After reading the proposed ban, would private sale of thi-cap AR mags also be illegal?

SEC. 3. BAN OF LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICES.

(a) PROHIBITION- Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, as amended by section 2(a), is amended by adding after subsection (v) the following:

`(w)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for a person to transfer or possess a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

`(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of any large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed on or before the date of the enactment of this subsection.

`(3) This subsection shall not apply to--

`(A) the manufacture for, transfer to, or possession by the United States or a department or agency of the United States (including the United States Armed Forces and, under regulations pursuant to title 50, United States Code, the National Guard and Reserve), or a State or a department, agency, or political subdivision of a State, or a transfer to or possession by a law enforcement officer employed by such an entity for purposes of law enforcement (whether on or off duty);

`(B) the transfer to a licensee under title I of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 for purposes of establishing and maintaining an on-site physical protection system and security organization required by Federal law, or possession by an employee or contractor of such licensee on-site for such purposes or off-site for purposes of licensee-authorized training or transportation of nuclear materials;

`(C) the possession, by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving ammunition, of a large capacity ammunition feeding device transferred to the individual by the agency upon such retirement; or

`(D) the manufacture, transfer, or possession of any large capacity ammunition feeding device by a licensed manufacturer or licensed importer for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Secretary.'.
    Last edited by fernset; November 12th, 2008 at 04:53 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    shall not apply to the possession or transfer of any large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed on or before the date of the enactment of this subsection.
    Not by my reading
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

But muy buyer wouldn't have possessed it until after that date?

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    I was planning on stocking up on hi-cap AR mags for cheap and sell after the ban when they are expensive.
    Ignoring my opinion on that, by the wording presented they would be unlawful to transfer. Granted, not many of us still have magazines from before 1994 (Section 3, subsection 4, part A), so that might not matter much anyway. I will add that it would also be extremely difficult to prove that they, the person you might sell to, did not possess the "pre-ban" magazine before the legislation was enacted.

-B

Senior Moderator
    But you did, therefore it is legal to sale
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    But you did, therefore it is legal to sale

-B

Senior Moderator
    Like the previous AWB if you owned a preban magizine it is your legal property to sell or keep. It is illegal for you to manufactuer or sale a high-cap mag after the effective date unless it is to the military or lawenforcement.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

BAC
    Ah. You'd lost me with the previous post, but I understand what you're saying. I misread the legislation, and pgrass is correct.

-B

Thanks. Im really to young to remember but did it force production to stop on hi cap mags in 94? Can they really do it again?

Senior Moderator
    Yes it stopped production for civillians, and yes they can do it again

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Yes it stopped production for civillians, and yes they can do it again
    I'll take bets on this one...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links