One in the barrel

One in the barrel

This is a discussion on One in the barrel within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Someone told me that dropping a round in the barrel, closing the slide and then inserting the magazine is not a good idea because it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One in the barrel

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

One in the barrel

Someone told me that dropping a round in the barrel, closing the slide and then inserting the magazine is not a good idea because it is bad for the extractor. Anyone else ever heard of this?

Generally I will fill the mag, load one round by pulling the slide back, pop the mag back out and then replace the extra round.

Does it matter how its done? How do you do it?

JD
    Administrator
    This is what is generally referred to as the "Bubba Load" or Direct Chambering basically, you are forcing the extractor over the edge of the case instead of the rim being fed properly into the extractor from underneath. Yes it can damage the extractor.

I think Tangle wrote up a nice long experiment re: Direct Chambering.

Here we go...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...pdate-3-a.html
    Last edited by JD; November 12th, 2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Removed goof up for clarification.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Someone told me that dropping a round in the barrel, closing the slide and then inserting the magazine is not a good idea
    The manual for my new Walther PPK specifically stated that I should not do this. Since reading that, I have stopped with all my firearms...I used to do it all the time.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Someone told me that dropping a round in the barrel, closing the slide and then inserting the magazine is not a good idea because it is bad for the extractor.
    Heh, oops. Just call me "The Shooter Formerly Known as Bubba"
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

jfl
    That's why we have "strippers" !!!

No, no it is not what you think

It is a magazine, usually not 100% fit for service, in which you put only1 round, rack the slide, drop the "stripper" and insert your full mag.

You are now ready to go without having to mess with your full mag.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I had a round ND from a Springfield V10 Ultra doing the same thing, and no I didn't have my booger hook on the trigger.
    I dug the round out of the sand and keep it as a not so gentle reminder to never get complacent with guns. I don't know how or why it happened but I don't do that anymore.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    ................There is also generally increased bullet set back when using the direct chambering method which can increase internal pressure in the chamber and has been known in extreme cases to damage firearms.............
    JD -- Did you type that wrong or am I reading it wrong??? I would think that direct chambering would result in decreased bullet set back.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

No, your not reading it wrong. Setback is not talking about the round in the chamber it is talking about the possition of the bullet in the casing.

It will force the bullet farther into the case, ie making a shorter overall round length and increasing pressure in the casing when fired.

I don't do either of the methods when loading. I simply put my mag into the firearm, rack the slide and holster the gun. Not adding another round to the mix.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    must be some misunderstanding here somewhere. Direct chambering...Bubba Loading... does NOT cause bullet set back. Set back is caused from the bullet nose colliding with the feed ramp, and differeent weapons cause different degrees of setback.

I don't like the bubba method as it is not real friendly to the extactors.

surv

Someone told me that dropping a round in the barrel, closing the slide and then inserting the magazine is not a good idea because it is bad for the extractor. Anyone else ever heard of this?
    Live rounds were meant to be stripped from the magazine while the cartridge rim slides up into the extractor groove. If you let the extractor ride over the rim of a chambered round, this would usually stretch the limit of outward movement of the extractor. I care for my pistols, and will always load one from the magazine. This also goes for other firearms, not particularly pistols.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    must be some misunderstanding here somewhere. Direct chambering...Bubba Loading... does NOT cause bullet set back. Set back is caused from the bullet nose colliding with the feed ramp, and differeent weapons cause different degrees of setback.

I don't like the bubba method as it is not real friendly to the extactors.

surv
    Yep you're right, I was mis-remembering, it happens. Good catch.

My issue is that I was just reading an article about out of spec chambers causing increased set back even when using direct chambering.

Information overload.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    JD

That's interesting. Do the same out of spec chambers have a high rate of FTE problems?

JD
    Administrator
    I'm trying to find it wait one I want to say it was regarding excessive lead build up to the point where the projectile itself was getting caught up...

Administrator
    If you have an AFTEC Extractor installed you can do it since it's coil spring loaded.

It's $70. though plus you'll need also install a tighter tolerance oversize firing pin stop. The entire extractor pivots on the FP Stop flange.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

No...not a good idea...why do it?
    Just load the mag and rack...add the 'extra' to the mag.

Stay armed...safely...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links