Any advise about surpressors?

This is a discussion on Any advise about surpressors? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Curious, its now legal to own surpressors in Missouri. Not something I can afford to do anytime soon but if you could afford it, what ...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Curious, its now legal to own surpressors in Missouri. Not something I can afford to do anytime soon but if you could afford it, what 9mm pistol or carbine would you surpress? I think a small 9mm carbine would be a great weapon to be surpressed but I'm not familar with any small 9mm carbines.

And for .22's I have a Walther P22 that is made for it with a threaded barrel so it would be neat to have a surpressor to fit that and then set up a Ruger 10/22 with a threaded barrel so they could "share". so what would you want to do?

Any interest out there in surpressors? And based on your experience, what would you recommend to someone who's never had one yet?

Do you regret spending the money you did or are you satisfied?

I also wouldn't mind one on my AR but boy that's a lot of money....

Senior Moderator
    For the .22's,I'd get a Gemtech "Outback".

Small, (less than 6"long. and 1"dia.), and very quiet.

They cost around 300 bucks. Have your guns threaded for the standard 1/2-28 and you can swap them around for both pistol and rifle.

For the 9mms, any will do, but be advised that they arent very quiet unless you use subsonic ammo. Also, lots of semi's will have trouble functioning correctly with a can on them.

If you have the skills you might make one on a what is called a "Form 1". That is the cheapest way to do it, you get the paperwork approved and then make it. Then, you'll only have 200 in it for the fee and whatever it cost you to build it.

So satsified with one that I built that I recently whacked a 10 point buck with it. He never knew what hit him, nor did the doe that was with him.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have had very good experiences with both Gemtech and AAC. These were in 5.56. My job has some older AWC 9mm cans that have also proven to be very reliable. They're just heavy. I have no reason to believe that the .22lr cans from any of the above would leave you wanting.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Curious, its now legal to own surpressors in Missouri. Not something I can afford to do anytime soon but if you could afford it, what 9mm pistol or carbine would you surpress? I think a small 9mm carbine would be a great weapon to be surpressed but I'm not familar with any small 9mm carbines.

And for .22's I have a Walther P22 that is made for it with a threaded barrel so it would be neat to have a surpressor to fit that and then set up a Ruger 10/22 with a threaded barrel so they could "share". so what would you want to do?

Any interest out there in surpressors? And based on your experience, what would you recommend to someone who's never had one yet?

I also wouldn't mind one on my AR but boy that's a lot of money....

I got one mainly for my .223 AR but I had my Ruger Mark III threaded as well so I can use it on that as well. Even though this was just a "hey it would be cool" purchase I am still very happy I did it. Very fun to play with and now I can pick off all the furry rodents in my back yard without bothering anyone

Surefire makes some awesome suppressors.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I wish i did have the skills to make my own but I'm lacking there and in the time. Probably the .22 would be the way to go since I could easily share between two weapons. Then the AR at a later date...

They seem to be getting more and more popular!

I'm running the Gemtech OutbackII on my WaltherP22 and I haven't had any problems with it yet. With good subsonic ammo is quieter than some bb guns.

When I have more money to burn I'm going to get the barrel for my marlin 7000 threaded for it so I can swap them back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I wish i did have the skills to make my own but I'm lacking there and in the time. Probably the .22 would be the way to go since I could easily share between two weapons. Then the AR at a later date...

They seem to be getting more and more popular!
    Just remember you can get a suppressor designed for a .223 and use it on a .22lr, but not the other way around. From what I've read the pressures created by the .223 is too high for a suppressor that was designed for a .22lr which would result in catastrophic failure if you were to swap them interchangeably.

So if you were planning on swapping between a .22lr and a .223 you should probably get a suppressor designed to handle the .223.

Anyone else feel free to jump in and correct me if necessary.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    So if you were planning on swapping between a .22lr and a .223 you should probably get a suppressor designed to handle the .223.
    Used to be that way, but not so much anymore. The worry isnt with the catestrophic failure like it used to be,it is just much harder on the can if it is only designed for the .22. The .223 cans get much hotter than the .22's stuff, some have even been know to melt with constant full auto fire.

The main difference is that the .223 cans are going to be heavier and bigger, some of them are a bit much for a .22 pistol. If you have both though, I would defenatley get one rated for .223.

That Gemtech Outback 2 is a sweet little can.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links