Stolen gun???!!!

Stolen gun???!!!

This is a discussion on Stolen gun???!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, i got a call today from the police dept. asking me to come in and talk to them about a gun i traded to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stolen gun???!!!

Stolen gun???!!!

Well, i got a call today from the police dept. asking me to come in and talk to them about a gun i traded to a pawn shop for my AR-15.
    i dont know exactly what they want yet but i have to go talk to them tmrw morning when i get off of work.

i bought an SKS from an individual at a gun show about a year ago, nothing special, just found it for sale and bought it. i have put some extra parts on it and enjoyed it until i could afford another AR-15 because i had to sell mine in school. i traded it last week on my AR-15, and now the police are calling.

have any of you run into this before? what should i expect? i have nothing to hide or lie about, but i dont want any trouble for making what i thought to be a legit purchase.

it seems like nothing goes right for me right now....
    Last edited by optikal; November 13th, 2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

Administrator
    I wouldnt worry about it to much, just tell the truth. I do have a few questions for you, What did you pay for the SKS? When did you sell it to the pawn shop?

It does pertain to the situation...
    "Just blame Sixto"

One reason why I don't like buying from individuals, and if I do I get their information off their drivers license,no info = no sale.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    One reason why I don't like buying from individuals, and if I do I get their information off their drivers license,no info = no sale.
    Yeah I'm inclined to agree with you. I don't think I'd buy or sell to anyone who is not an FFL.

I have a friend that ran into this when he had a house fire. He owns a lot of firearms, and they were all taken and checked out before being returned to him. It turned out that a Glock he purchased at a gun show came up stolen. He told them the truth, they kept the gun, and that was the end of it. Good luck!

-Jeff-

I am skeptical to know whats gonna happened, please keep us posted. I am scared to buy anything from individuals not just guns. People lie all of them.

I use to buy cars and sell them. Many of them which I bought from individuals not from the auction. I am pretty good with buying and selling almost anything, specially when it come to cars, almost 9 out of 10 cars that I bought from private sellers had problem that they new about and yet would lie to me. I knew that they were lying right there on the spot, I still bought some of those cars cause I knew exactly what was wrong .

Then there was a time I wa selling Laptops, heh same story. PEOPLE LIE!!!!!

Senior Moderator
    People lie all of them
    I dont lie.

No...really...

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

i paid 150 for it, found others for 175-200 at the show but liked the one i bought. i traded it last week.

this has me worried, i bought another gun from an estate sale and have already called back for them to run the serial on it to make sure i dont spend the money to get it like i want it and it turn out stolen.
    Ted Nugent

Senior Moderator
    Dont worry so much. The worst that can happen is they will take the gun if stolen and ask where and when you got it. It happens all the time.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Probably nothing to worry about, but if things do go bad though, have someone send us your address. Well send you some donuts to bribe the guards with.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

lol, thanks archer.....i dont have a problem with police, most of them are nice but i have never met so many pricks in one agency as the one that called me. thats what worries me. this department can be the worst ones to deal with at times, they changed one of my tickets to a residential when it was written as non residential and all the judge had to say was "happens all the time, pay the higher fine!"

that was the ticket i was disarmed, the officer pointed the gun at my truck in my direction to check it and then let the round he pulled from the chamber hit and scratch my truck before letting it hit the ground. i was PISSED! not the best experience in the world with this dept, if it was the sherriffs office i wouldnt be nervous.

i geuss im seeing scenes from movies where they have the bright lights on me, asking me millions of redundant questions, twisting my statement, and trying to pin me with stealing the property or even just getting me for buying and selling stolen goods.
    Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Agreed.
    And additionally I don't do FTF sale/purchases either.
    All transaction to or through an FFL holder only.
    I don't have time nor dimes for talking to cops about my purchases and history.

As to the OP I would seek out legal consel before hand, if it were me.
    I'm not going to a station house to talk with anyone about anything ever outside of my trips to ask for child safety locks and to interview toward my LTC application (state law requirement).

I'd know I didn't do anything wrong, but they don't know that nor are a 100% guarantee to care. Hence the phone call...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by optikal View Post
    i geuss im seeing scenes from movies where they have the bright lights on me, asking me millions of redundant questions, twisting my statement, and trying to pin me with stealing the property or even just getting me for buying and selling stolen goods.
    If this happens, it means they think you actually stole it, or worse. For all you know, the gun was used in a murder and they think you are the murderer!

In this case, ASK IF YOU ARE FREE TO GO, AND IF SO LEAVE. IF NOT ASK FOR A LAWYER. This should be the response to any circumstance where you feel uncomfortable with the police asking you questions.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Do you have a receipt to bring in with you?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I wouldnt worry about it to much, just tell the truth.
    After all, if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear from the law, right? RIGHT?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links