1911 vs 92FS vs something else vs... 750.00

This is a discussion on 1911 vs 92FS vs something else vs... 750.00 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Alright, so I know this gets asked often and I've read most all of the posts here and at a few other places. BUT, i'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alright, so I know this gets asked often and I've read most all of the posts here and at a few other places.

BUT, i'm kind of an odd cat size wise and carry wise so I'm a bit hard up for info.

The quick.

1. I'm 6'4" and 192 lbs.
    2. I've got large hands
    3. I can open carry and prefer to
    4. I'm left handed

With that out of the way my wife has been kind enough to allot 750.00 for my next gun purchase. I've been looking at the 1911 and the 92FS for a couple of weeks and I'm having a hard time debating between the two. Cheap ammo on the Beretta helps but stopping power of the 1911 is also a concern.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone else with either of these sidearms. So I can't go shoot either. One place rents but its so expensive I can almost buy a cheap gun for that price.

With open carry in mind what do you recommend? I need to buy a holster with some of this money too obviously, so thats a concern. I'd like to find a good retention holster that works well for a left hander.

Any ideas?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Get a 9mm Glock. I would go with the 19. If it is too small either get a 17 or get the +2 base plates for the 19. Take the money left over and buy magazines and ammo.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

The Beretta's safety is backwards....
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I think a 1911 would be easier for you to carry. I'm 6'1" and 185.

I think my 92FS is an awesome gun, but with the double stack mags, it is pretty wide. I don't carry it for that reason.

My Colt Commander is right there on the verge of being able to conceal (only if I wear a loose sweatshirt).

Either one would make a great self-defense weapon.

VIP Member
    You might also want to check out the CZ line. You can get the CZ 97 which is chambered in 45ACP. Or the CZ75 which is available in either 9mm or 40 S&W.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products_handguns_standard.php
    Last edited by archer51; November 13th, 2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added link
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Get a 9mm Glock. I would go with the 19. If it is too small either get a 17 or get the +2 base plates for the 19. Take the money left over and buy magazines and ammo.
    +1
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Let's see small hole, or big hole. With the 9mm you will have a hi-cap mag most likely and can shoot a lot, and shoot cheap, and make a lot of holes in the BG. The .45 you will pay more to shoot, but I personally love that weapon, plus when you hit the BG they usually go down and stay down. Your call!!!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Haha... +1, but that wasn't one of his options

I am always in favor of a Glock for SD. Simplicity = higher chance of surviving a SD situation.

Glocks DO come in 45 though if you need to carry something starting with a 4 and ending with a 5
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Put a big down payment on a compact size 1911 and get it out of layaway ASAP.

Speaking as someone who owns a 1911 and a 92FS, I'd go with something else--that something else being a Glock 21.

If you're going to open carry, the size won't be an issue; since you have large hands, the chunky grip shouldn't be a problem; the price (around $550) will leave you with plenty of cash for a good holster (I recommend a Bianchi Carrylok), a good belt & spare magazines, it's a high cap (13rd) .45. And, of course, it's a Glock, so reliability is a non-issue.

Sure, the ammo is a little more expensive, but...as you pointed out, you'd feel better with a .45. That peace of mind can go a long way.

In between the 1911 or 92FS? I'd get the 1911. I'm not a huge fan of DA/SA, and I tend to shoot better with a 1911.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Moderator
    I love my 92FSs and 1911s. I tend to carry the 92FS because of the safety issue. The 92FS does not have to have a safety deactivated in order to fire it. The 'G' mode (decocker only) is even better.

I don't want to give the impression the safety on a 1911 is a problem, we all know that many people have draw and fired 1911s many times without a problem. I just prefer nothing to do but pull the trigger during the drawstroke. In all the training classes I've taken, I have seen several thumb swipe failures as pressure goes up. Yet, I wouldn't hesitate to carry a 1911.

I recently bought one of the Mecgar 18 round mags for my 92FS for a 19+1 capacity. Not that one would ever need that many rounds, but as the deputy said in the movie "Unforgiven" (Clint Eastwood), "I just don't want to get shot for lack of shooting back."

However, right now, I'm carrying a Sig 220 Carry and love it. As far as the DA/SA transition is concerned, I think if you put in as much practice with a DA/SA as one would need to to be reliable with a thumb safety swipe on a 1911, the DA/SA won't be a problem.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I have most of the guns mentioned above (no Sig 220) plus many others. I now carry and trust the Glock's. 19 or 17 in 9mm or the 21SF in .45 (I carry the G30 .45). They work, they are accurate and they are cost effective. Plus easy to maintain and fix.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Haha... +1, but that wasn't one of his options

I am always in favor of a Glock for SD. Simplicity = higher chance of surviving a SD situation.

Glocks DO come in 45 though if you need to carry something starting with a 4 and ending with a 5
    The title of his thread was: "1911 vs 92FS vs something else vs... 750.00"

I offered a suggestion for the "something else".
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I've read a little on the glocks but not enough to make an educated decision/ Whats the safety issue with a glock? I like the 1911 because of the safety and imporability of accidentally discharging (I know, safe gun is by hand, not by trigger) but, I've heard the glocks are a little more prone to AD. Is this true?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImChad View Post
    I've read a little on the glocks but not enough to make an educated decision/ Whats the safety issue with a glock? I like the 1911 because of the safety and imporability of accidentally discharging (I know, safe gun is by hand, not by trigger) but, I've heard the glocks are a little more prone to AD. Is this true?
    Glocks are extremely safe as long as the trigger is not pulled. The famous 'three internal safeties' work well. Also IIRC there is not enough spring pressure in a loaded Glock for the firing pin to hit the primer unless the trigger pull is added first.

Police officers carry Glocks every day and they rarely (if ever?) 'go off' without the trigger being pulled. If this were a problem, departments would go with something else. I've certainly never read anything saying a Glock had fired without the trigger being pulled, but my experience is also limited.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links