Recoil factor

This is a discussion on Recoil factor within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've found that push back in a handgun is easier to manage than muzzle flip. A lot of how a pistol recoils is dependent on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recoil factor

I've found that push back in a handgun is easier to manage than muzzle flip.

A lot of how a pistol recoils is dependent on the position of the shooting hand in relation to the axis of the bore. Ths higher your grip the less muzzle flip and the more push back into your shooting hand.

bosco

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I have heard this before, but never why. If the .45 is a larger caliber bullet than the .40 why is it less likely to have some snappy recoil?

Before you answer, forgive my ignorance of the calibers and their properties, I have been a shooter for a long time but never cared to get that deep in to it. Now that I am considering hand loading I might ought to pay more attention.
    .40 S&W is a high-pressure round; .45 acp is a fairly low-pressure round. Basically, .40 is pushing that bullet really fast, which tends to add up to more recoil.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    Earlier in this thread someone touched on the issue of felt recoil v muzzle tilt. Both, dissipate the momentum of the mass of the bullet X velocity. But, in my opinion, muzzle tilt is much more of an issue. Here's why.

Your arms and body can absorb recoil and you can stay on target. But, muzzle tilt takes your sights off target and costs a fraction of a second to bring the barrel back down.

Gun design is important too. I've shot .40 in several different models and in only one, unfortunately the one I bought, was muzzle tilt a real issue. One way around that is to chose your ammo carefully. Another is the obvious one, chose your gun carefully. And a third is to use a smaller caliber.

I also think there are non-physical issues such as how the gun fits in your hand, how you hold it, and so on which make large differences. It is weired, but I can fire my .40 more easily single handed than in the traditional stance. I think that is because it is hanging at the end of my arm and the weight of my arm mitigates against the momentum of the gun.

I have used a Glock 17 several times and been absolutely amazed at how mild the recoil was. And then, there are personal preference issues. 38 sp out of 642 or similar Airweight doesn't bother me at all. It literally hurts my son's wrist, though he is much stronger and way way younger.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    I've found that push back in a handgun is easier to manage than muzzle flip.

A lot of how a pistol recoils is dependent on the position of the shooting hand in relation to the axis of the bore. Ths higher your grip the less muzzle flip and the more push back into your shooting hand.

bosco
    Yes, I hate when the muzzle goes up, push in the back of the hand is no biggie.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Along the same lines as the question, I have another question.

I am taking my Wife shooting tomorrow for her first time EVER. We are taking a .22, .380, 9mm, and my .40.

I am thinking of starting her off like this:

9mm

so she can get used to holding a gun, then using a gun and then work up in caliber to see which caliber she wants to shop for the specific gun.

Thoughts, suggestions?
    These are the same calibers I have pistols in, and I have taken a number of new shooters out to try them all. The guns are: H&K USP fullsize (.40), Glock 26 (9mm) with AA conversion kit (.22lr), and Walther PPK (.380acp). With all but the 22 I use WWB for this. This seems to me like a good representative spectrum of pistols: supercompact, compact, and duty-size.

Obviously the .22 is the easiest for them to handle, but the rest might surprise you. The favorite by far among all new shooters has been the USP 40. They found it easiest to aim, easiest to control, and easiest to hold (this goes for both women with small hands as well as large men). The USP is by far both the largest gun and the most powerful caliber, but the size made all the difference. As a duty-size pistol, the USP also has longer travel for the slide, meaning more distance for force to be absorbed by the recoil system.

Also by far, the least enjoyed gun was the PPK, despite the puny .380 caliber. Again, with such a small grip it was difficult for people to handle comfortably. The slide is also quite difficult to rack for people who have weak hands, and some cannot rack it at all. I have never ended up having newbies shoot the PPK very often.

Hope this helps

Edit: I think I will make a new thread for this, it seems like it might be useful for others.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by sarlady View Post
    Sounds like a good plan. And don't get P.O.ed if she is more accurate with your favorite than you are.
    Cool, and I'm sure she will be better than me. She is better than me at forms in Taekwondo too. She just has a knack about her, it may be the red hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    .40 S&W is a high-pressure round; .45 acp is a fairly low-pressure round. Basically, .40 is pushing that bullet really fast, which tends to add up to more recoil.
    That makes sense. I have a S&W Sigma .40 and I can't tell much but I also have fairly strong hands and forearms, but I have a feeling if I had her start on that one she wouldn't like it much. Now when I shoot it compared to a decent 9mm I can clearly see and feel the muzzle flip on my Sigma.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    If you want some fun recoil, try a lightweight snubnose revolver like a Smith & Wesson 340PD with .357 Magnum.

Kinda like catching a baseball thrown by a ML pitcher...barehanded
    And the sound will turn heads at the range...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"And the sound will turn heads at the range..."

Even better in the evening... Gotta love those flaming doughnuts flying down the range.
    bosco

Paco......sounds like you thought it out pretty well. That's how I did it when I took my daughters to the range with me. My girls are still pretty young (teenagers) and they loved my 9mm but the glock23 (.40) was too much for them in the beginning. Now, the .22 and board with a bunch of little water ballons tacked to it made for some great fun.

As for the recoil, I can't get into the mathmatics of it......it's too early, not enough coffee yet, and thought at that level just hurts too much.....LOL
    "Felt recoil" can be as relitive to the shooter as it is the gun/caliber. I'm of the "rent it at the range or shoot someone's elses gun" school of thought to see if it's something you might like/enjoy shooting. Bottom line.......shot placement. If you can hit COM with it under stress and not intimidated by the firearm/caliber, your good to go.

Bigger (read: recoil) ain't always better
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links