Magazine loading for dummies

Magazine loading for dummies

This is a discussion on Magazine loading for dummies within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, new member here. I was out today test shooting a few different guns at a range, trying to figure out what fits me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine loading for dummies

Question Magazine loading for dummies

Hey all, new member here. I was out today test shooting a few different guns at a range, trying to figure out what fits me best. I put a bunch of rounds through a Sig 220, HK USP 45, and an XD 45. In terms of feel and fit, I like the Sig 220 very much. However, I've had serious problems getting the 8th round into the magazine with my apparently wimpy fingers

This was a rentable 220, so I assume the magazine wasn't new. Is there a trick to loading single-stack Sig magazines that I'm missing, or should I just quit whining, grow a pair and force the bullets down like a man?

The other guns' magazines loaded without any problems, though I'd really like to purchase the 220. But 8 rounds is already not much, 7 would not be enough.

I apologize about the n00b question, but this site is a wealth of knowledge for me.

Invest in an Uplula magazine loader. They work on everything from a single stack 1911 to a fat Glock 45. Simply amazing. I was a skeptic until I bought one. I will never be without one again! Watch their video.
    UpLULA - Pistol Magazine Loader | ZAHAL
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Plus one on the UpLula, bought one for the wife but for some reason it hangs out in my range bag.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

+1 on the UpLula also. I have one, and it works great!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

+ another one on the Uplula.

I'm one of those annoying guys that says stay away from the mag loaders unless you REALLY have to. Reason? Get your fingers and thumbs strengthened by doing it the old fashioned way. What happens when you really need to reload a mag fast and can't because you're fingers and thumbs are atrophied from getting to used to the lazy mans loader?...answer: You fumble around and die.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I'll load my 1911 and AR mags by hand all day. But when you start shooting large quantities of hi-cap mags in a competition or a training session, that loader is mighty nice!

I think all Glocks come with a loader.... Another point for the Glock.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

That loader that comes with Glocks sucks. If you tried one of the UpLula's, you'd throw that POS that comes with your Glock away.

Lead Moderator
    When I got my SIG 226 I realized I'd be needing a loader. SIG seems to make mags with some of the strongest springs I've ever seen!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Load them up and leave them for a bit.

Thanks for the tips! I have pretty strong hands and fingers, so perhaps there is technique involved here as well. In either case, an Uplula looks like a good thing to have for those long range sessions.

Time to find a good price on a 220. I think I decided to shop for a gun at the worst time possible, and I'm one of the few not doing it for political reasons. Wish me luck

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselnut View Post
    Hey all, new member here. I was out today test shooting a few different guns at a range, trying to figure out what fits me best. I put a bunch of rounds through a Sig 220, HK USP 45, and an XD 45. In terms of feel and fit, I like the Sig 220 very much. However, I've had serious problems getting the 8th round into the magazine with my apparently wimpy fingers

This was a rentable 220, so I assume the magazine wasn't new. Is there a trick to loading single-stack Sig magazines that I'm missing, or should I just quit whining, grow a pair and force the bullets down like a man?

The other guns' magazines loaded without any problems, though I'd really like to purchase the 220. But 8 rounds is already not much, 7 would not be enough.

I apologize about the n00b question, but this site is a wealth of knowledge for me.
    Granted, loading the eighth round in the single stack P220 mags can be a pain. Best thing to do? Overcome that pain. Become a hero in your own mind! Hey---you don't need to loose any blood over it...I've lost more blood and skin loading my Glock mags to capacity! You can do it! You can do it! You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Granted, loading the eighth round in the single stack P220 mags can be a pain. Best thing to do? Overcome that pain. Become a hero in your own mind! Hey---you don't need to loose any blood over it...I've lost more blood and skin loading my Glock mags to capacity! You can do it! You can do it! You can do it!
    Wow, talk about an inspirational post! Thanks man, I really appreciate the vote of confidence! I'll do my best to make you proud

I'm posting this for future searches (now there is a concept, eh? ). I've had my Sig 220 Carry for about a week. I cleaned it as soon as I got it, which included disassembling and cleaning the magazines. I've still been having a hard time loading the 8th bullet, even with the Uplula. Both magazines kept making a crunching spring sound, and it just didn't feel right.

Well, I decided to disassemble and reassemble the magazines. This time, however, I placed the spring in the follower first, making sure it was seated properly. I then pushed the follower inside the magazine and closed it up. Now I can load the 8th round by hand without any trouble!

Probably a dumb move, but I'm guessing the spring wasn't seated right and was thus giving me additional resistance. Glad I found it sooner rather than later.
    Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links