What is the most dangerous malfunction?

This is a discussion on What is the most dangerous malfunction? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I agree with hudson...So many of the guys I shoot with don't carry on a regular basis. Probably no worse situation than not having a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the most dangerous malfunction?

I agree with hudson...So many of the guys I shoot with don't carry on a regular basis. Probably no worse situation than not having a gun with you. Otherwise, I'd say as an instructor that watching a cheap welded baseplate magazine let go and dump all your rounds is a bad thing, especially when you read the threads where guys don't even carry a second mag. I've seen it happen many times.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    'click, slam, tap, click'...'rack, slam, tap, click'

"Houston, we have a problem..."
    Pretty much had that at my last IDPA shoot, during the rifle side match (started out with the hand gun moving backwards to cover.

Got off 4 shots out of 11, click, click (I am DA) rack, click, rack, click, rack, click " !" Reload was not in the COF or allowed.

I shot all day with no malfunctions, in fact this was the first time my BE had one. It was a magazine FTF. Some sand or grit bound up the follower.

Yup, any malfunction is bad Juju.

Regarding a squib shot, how many of us would actually be able to stop the next trigger pull in a crisis or stress situation? Range practice maybe, Competition shoot, almost maybe, Life or Death...
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Regarding a squib shot, how many of us would actually be able to stop the next trigger pull in a crisis or stress situation? Range practice maybe, Competition shoot, almost maybe, Life or Death...
    My thoughts, too. Adrenaline tends to "fog" the senses.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Yep, this would be my worst nightmare. A squib load that doesnt leave the bore and another round fired afterwards could mean certain injury to the shooter or bystander. The loss of your hand or fingers would be almost certain.

>>---->
    Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Sources, please ???

A rule of firearm safety is: "Be sure your barrel and muzzle are free from obstructions"

You want me to qualify the words could and almost?

I've been teaching firearm and hunter safety since the early '80's. I've been NRA certified since the late '80's. I can tell you that experience is the best teacher. I have personally seen shotgun barrels split or bulge from either mud in the barrel or a load that didnt totally leave the bore and then a succesive round fired afterwards. I have seen Glock 37 .45 GAP pistols explode on their own, in fact, The Winter Haven PD had several explode in their officers hands and finally removed them from the force. The officers has minor injuries but nevertheless, they were injuries.

Dont ever be so nieve to think that an obstructed gun barrel wont explode and cause a serious injury. You ask for "sources"? I personally dont need an authoritive source, I've personally seen barrels explode and to me its common sense. Your essentially creating a "pipe bomb" in the barrel. If you block the muzzle and then seal the breech behind a live casing with the bolt, you have created a "pipe bomb". The extreme pressure has to go somewhere, something has to give and it will be the weakest point. It may be the breech or anwhere along the length of the barrel, but something will most likely give. I for one do not want to be the one holding any firearm in this condition.

Sorry, hijack not intended.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I havnt seen any handgun explosions but I have seen a few AR's split their uppers and throw parts into other shooters and the shooter firing it.

As for the worst malf, out of the "normal" ones Id say failure to extract, when the case rim is ripped by the extractor....even racking the slide won't help as the extractor has nothing left to grab on the case, so at best your going to have to dig at it with a key or your fingernail to get the case out.
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

One only needs one functional hand, not two, to check/inspect a firearm condition of battery...clear it...and make it ready & hot for reuse.

The most dangerous malfunction IMHO is to run out of ammo.

- Clint Smith
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Youv'e all got it wrong:

The worst firearms malfunctions occur between the ears......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Youv'e all got it wrong:

The worst firearms malfunctions occur between the ears......

Sad but oh so true.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

New Member Array old deaf coach's Avatar
    Never underestimate the ability of a kitchen table gunsmith to screw up a good .45 auto. EVERYONE is an expert on the 1911 colt. The most common & dangerous failure (imho) comes from someone trying to improve the trigger pull. They hone the sear a little & make a gun that MAY double fire or fire when the slide is dropped on a round or when the safety is clicked off. U should never hone the sear or hammer hooks unless u really know what ur doing & have a proper jig to hold the parts. U should also check all the safety features periodically. With the gun UNLOADED & pointed in a safe direction:

1 Cock the hammer, thumb safety off & pull the trigger with out depressing the grip safety- the hammer should not fall.
    2 With the hammer cocked, thumb safety off, grip safety depressed press the muzzle against a table pushing the slide back & pull the trigger- hammer should not fall then while still holding the trigger allow the slide to move forward- hammer should not fall.
    3 With hammer cocked, grip safety depressed & thumb safety ON, pull the trigger- hammer should not fall.

U have just tested the thumb safety, grip safety & disconnector. If the hammer fell on any test the gun needs repair.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Only one correct answer----a HANGFIRE!!!!! Hammer falls and strikes primer,primer fires and ignites powder,powder does not burn correctly until pressuer builds up and then---POW!!! (sometimes several seconds later) No telling where that firearm will be pointed by now!!!!! Some idiots have even been known to look down the barrel to find out why it didnt shoot.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Only one correct answer----a HANGFIRE!!!!! Hammer falls and strikes primer,primer fires and ignites powder,powder does not burn correctly until pressuer builds up and then---POW!!! (sometimes several seconds later) No telling where that firearm will be pointed by now!!!!! Some idiots have even been known to look down the barrel to find out why it didnt shoot.
    Good point, great reminder. This is exactly why muzzle control is important and why we practice malfunction drills.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

How about shooting your privates while drawing your weapon? That would be a bad day
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links