What is the most dangerous malfunction?

This is a discussion on What is the most dangerous malfunction? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just returned from the range, where I tested a Para magazine in my Colt 1911. (I have a Wilson that works perfectly, but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the most dangerous malfunction?

What is the most dangerous malfunction?

I just returned from the range, where I tested a Para magazine in my Colt 1911. (I have a Wilson that works perfectly, but I just like that “flush with the grips” look.) I had one malfunction in 100 rounds, a failure to feed, and it got me thinking.

What would be the worst malfunction (excluding broken parts) in a 1911? A stealth malfunction like a failure to feed leaves you with a gun that has the hammer back, slide closed, and it LOOKS ready to fire; but a trigger pull results in just a click when you might really need it. Furthermore it requires two hands to return the weapon to battery. Other types of jams at least warn you that something has to be done.
    It isn’t the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think ANY malfunction that causes the firearm NOT to fire, is a serious one........

When you practice you should always include malfunction drills. You can set some of the common ones yourself.

-Snap caps can be added to your magazine & these will simulate bad ammo.
    -You can also setup failure to extract or double feeds.
    -Stovepipe jams can be done as well.

Once you get your mind in gear to handle malfunctions, you'll find clearing them will become second nature like your drawing & other shooting skills.

After you get your mind into automatic for malfunction clearing....Don't forget to add moving to cover while taking care of malfunctions....It's not a good idea to let the BG shoot at you while you're 'fixing' your firearm.

You never know when Mr Murphy will arrive & mess up your day.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Failure

I have a friend who owns a Delta Elite Series 80 Colt. He had a Failure To Assemble Correctly due to a local gun plumber. The gun worked fine in dry fire, but the Series 80 safety would not let the firing pin hit the primer. He carried it until he could get it to the range, thinking that it must be good if it came right from the "gunsmith". That is about the worst thing I could imagine. A failure that can't be fixed without a workbench, much less a tap-rack-bang.

+1 to mechanical issues rather than a simple feed issue - just in terms of "most dangerous", they're all dangerous. But if you pull the trigger and no bang, you go through your clearance drills and hopefully recover. Clearance drills will just waste more of your time if the gun is together wrong or something has broken.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

RUNNING OUT OF AMMO WITH BAD GUYS STILL COMING AT YOU. Always carry as much as you can.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

'click, slam, tap, click'...'rack, slam, tap, click'

"Houston, we have a problem..."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

On the line, while was taking a refresher class, my 1911 "stove-piped" on me. Since it was being run as a "cold" range (lots of beginners), I waited for the instructor before "standing down." He saw what it was, so he quickly walked over and worked the slide to clear it - normally, of course, that would allow the offending brass to drop and the slide to pick up another round. For some reason, though, the brass rolled/flipped over and INTO the CHAMBER - butt first, of course, so the extractor couldn't do it's thing. The round that should have fed up the ramp simply pushed the brass all the way into the chamber. (The instructor was quite embarassed, of course, but it was just a fluke and not his fault.) I had to leave the line to clear the brass from the chamber with a cleaning rod before returning to the line.
    Not as severe as broken parts, but in a crunch it wouldn't have made a difference.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    a stuck firing pin causing slam fire would be pretty bad stuff

jfl
    Failure to engage brain before handling a firearm
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Any... if someone is shooting AT you.

To me, the most hazardous... is bad ammo & situation where the ammo can fire easily if mishandled during disarming or fixing the malfunction.

Blocked barrels, wrong ammo, etc. all fit into another category.

I had a Ruger semi-auto that fired without the bullet fully chambered... and it shredded back the casing of the bullet to the side. Ruger, said "that's impossible". Well, it happened. They got pictures, the bullet, the gun and all... and could never figure out why it happened.

I think the most dangerous would be caused by a round that was underloaded and the bullet stuck in the barrel, If it isn't caught the next round fired could be catastropic.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I think the most dangerous would be caused by a round that was underloaded and the bullet stuck in the barrel, If it isn't caught the next round fired could be catastropic.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Technically it would be an ammo malfunction though, not a gun malfunction.

I tell all people I am introducing to guns (5 or 6 at this point) that if you are ever firing and instead of a bang you get a pop, stop immediately.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Yep, this would be my worst nightmare. A squib load that doesnt leave the bore and another round fired afterwards could mean certain injury to the shooter or bystander. The loss of your hand or fingers would be almost certain.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Yep, this would be my worst nightmare. A squib load that doesnt leave the bore and another round fired afterwards could mean certain injury to the shooter or bystander. The loss of your hand or fingers would be almost certain.

>>---->
    Sources, please ???

I've seen a brand new Colt Python have a squib and the (brand new) shooter did not realize it, fired 2 more shots with the bullet lodged in the barrel. The gun was trash, but the guy was not injured.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    NOT bringing a gun........
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links