Pistol Choice Help

This is a discussion on Pistol Choice Help within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have had a chance to think more about the features of a pistol I want and would like to bounce the ideas off you ...

Thread: Pistol Choice Help

Pistol Choice Help

I have had a chance to think more about the features of a pistol I want and would like to bounce the ideas off you all.
    It was a Glock 40 which I used yesterday at the range. It had a 4" barrel.

I liked:
    -semiautomatic
    -holds 15 rounds
    -can change barrels so that it can shoot 9mm
    (the above is a plus because I like to shoot the metal plates and need the .40 to do so but those are pricey here so for paper targets -I would use the 9mm barrel)
    -it has a 'slide lock' or slide safety

I did not like:
    -the slide takes a lot of force to retract. I would like something easier to move
    -no chamber window - you have to open the slide to see if a round has been chambered.

Any ideas on pistols that would help with my 'do not likes' but still has my 'likes'?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Actually Glocks have a loaded chamber indicator on the ejection side. The external extractor sits outward ever so slightly indicating a round in battery. Also i didnt know that you needed a 40 to shoot plates. is the 9mm not strong enough to knock the plate over? and there is not sarcasim in that either, i honestly didnt know.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrashok Glock View Post
    Actually Glocks have a loaded chamber indicator on the ejection side. The external extractor sits outward ever so slightly indicating a round in battery. Also i didnt know that you needed a 40 to shoot plates. is the 9mm not strong enough to knock the plate over? and there is not sarcasim in that either, i honestly didnt know.
    Generally a 9mm will need two to three hits to knock over a pate.

Dave, the XD has a more pronounced loaded chamber indicator, and should be about as equally interchangeable as the Glock.

Personally, I'd probably just stick with the Glock.

Regarding the recoil spring, there only real way to get a reduced weight is to get a longer barreled gun, or a lesser caliber, OR insert a lesser weighted spring, but you usually only do that if you're shooting reduced loads.

However, I would stick with the size your at and just practice more. It will get easier the longer you do it as your hand/wrist/forearm strength will improve with practice.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Cool thanks, nice to know.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

The other trouble I had was with the holster, it is a clip-on and when you draw, the whole thing came off at once.

Thanks for the comments on the Glock.

I am the type to investigate all similar products before choosing, are there others out there that have the features I mentioned?

Are there other models/manufacturers that allow changing out the barrels?
    Can you change out any of them from ie a 22 to a 45 or is that too big a jump?

The other feature I'd like is the accessible hammer, one of them had it, the other did not.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Dave,

For several of the popular service calibers there are conversion kits. Advantage Arms makes them for just about all of the Glock Models as well as various 1911's. They replace the entire slide and magazine to utilize the .22LR round.

As far as an accessible hammer, you won't find them on any model of Glock of Springfield XD. Both the Glock and the XD are striker fired pistols, and have no exposed hammer. All of the firearms I have that have an exposed hammer are either a DA/SA (double action / single action) combo, or a 1911 pattern firearm that is SA only. You might be able to get a Sig DAK trigger or an HK with LEM trigger that has an exposed hammer, but I can't say for sure.

As far as what Glock model you were shooting, it sounds like it was a Glock 23, which is the compact .40 that Glock sells. I have a 19, which is the same frame gun, but chambered in 9mm. The magazines that will come with the Glock 23 hold 13 rounds, however, magazines for the Glock 22 can be used, and they hold 15 rounds (although they protrude from the bottom of the gun).

Similar style firearms that you might want to see if you can get your hands on to hold include the Smith and Wession M&P line, the HK P2000 or P30, a Sig Sauer either DA/SA or with the DAK trigger, Springfield XD which was already mentioned, Para makes a similar trigger called the LDA you may want to try.

Hope the info helps.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

[QUOTE=JD;907773]Generally a 9mm will need two to three hits to knock over a pate.

Regarding the recoil spring, there only real way to get a reduced weight is to get a longer barreled gun, or a lesser caliber, OR insert a lesser weighted spring, but you usually only do that if you're shooting reduced loads.
    QUOTE]

Hey, 3 rounds per plate sounds like an excellent training opportunity to this Marine! What could be better than that for teaching you to shoot until something falls? Perfection, baby.

The point on springs is partially correct. The reason most competitive shooters drop the weight of the spring is to speed the slide up and enhance shot recovery. It works, but it's only marginally effective. Your slide will get easier to pull back in short order!

If it really bugs you, you can order a 13 pound spring (G22) and guiderod from TopGlock, Glockmeister, Brownells, or just about anywhere. It will be about $30 total. You can also get the Wolff adjustment pack, which comes with several weights of spring, allowing you to swap them out until you find one that you like.

This is a simple change and should not hurt your pistol's reliability.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Links