Anybody have the case dimensions for a 9mm, .38spcl, & .357 mag?

This is a discussion on Anybody have the case dimensions for a 9mm, .38spcl, & .357 mag? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; HooBoy!!! The 9mm case is 0.001" bigger on the bullet end and 0.012" bigger on the primer end. So the .357 chamber being smaller (slightly) ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody have the case dimensions for a 9mm, .38spcl, & .357 mag?

Senior Moderator
    HooBoy!!! The 9mm case is 0.001" bigger on the bullet end and 0.012" bigger on the primer end. So the .357 chamber being smaller (slightly) means that it could be 'opened' up a bit and tapered for the 9mm. That looks very promising.

That leaves action/stroke, etc. issues and the rim on the .357 case would make the magazine tube just a bit loose for the rimless 9mm case, but if every thing else is feasible, that's a minor issue.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    indeed, specs are always good to have. But, unless you have tollerence given with the spec, it's just as good as you measuring it yourself.

Guys I don't want to argue. You guys are all right, do it yourself when it comes to firearms is not the best thing to do.
    You may not get tolerances, as intended by the manufacturer, by measuring either - there are just too many variables due to manufacturing among other things.

I agree that DIY isn't the best thing to do - normally. But this isn't normal, I've built quite a few guns, folding stocks, fixed stocks, etc. Plus it's putting a much milder round, 9mm, into a chamber/barrel intended to handle a much more powerful round, the .357 mag.

I think the biggest issue is gonna be whether or not the internals can be reliably modified to feed the extractor into the relief in the case.

The specs can be found in any reloading book. Here's from my Hornady book which just happened to be the closest at hand:

183 FBINA

there is no Internal Diameter dimention on those pictures

Senior Moderator
    The IDs aren't needed to compare chamber dimensions since the chamber size and shape is based on the case outside dims.

Tangle,

You have your work cut out for you. Following your post, your trying to get a 9mm lever gun right?

I have to ask though, wouldn't it just be easier and a whole lot cheaper to get a .357/.38 lever gun and start to reload for that caliber and the 9mm? That would put ammo in a very reasonable price range.

Or go with a some 9mm carbine that is readily available. I know, you don't want a magazine fed rifle.

Like posted previously, all the demensions of rounds and cases can be found in a good reloading manual. Good luck with your efforts though. I am really interested in the results of your efforts if you find a way to do this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Tangle,

You have your work cut out for you. Following your post, your trying to get a 9mm lever gun right?
    No doubt about that!

I have to ask though, wouldn't it just be easier and a whole lot cheaper to get a .357/.38 lever gun and start to reload for that caliber and the 9mm? That would put ammo in a very reasonable price range.

Or go with a some 9mm carbine that is readily available. I know, you don't want a magazine fed rifle.
    It would indeed, but if the project were successful, and I'm not convinced yet that it would be, if I reloaded 9mm only, or bought factory 9mm, that'd be a whole lot simpler and I'd have one caliber for a number of my handguns, a 9mm carbine that doesn't require specific mags, and I'd probably enjoy the project.

Like posted previously, all the demensions of rounds and cases can be found in a good reloading manual. Good luck with your efforts though. I am really interested in the results of your efforts if you find a way to do this.
    Yep, I got the dims from JD's post a ways back.

I'll let you know if I proceed with it. A lot will depend on if I can find a used Marlin lever action in .357, what it will take to adapt bolt face to the smaller dia. 9mm case and if I can buy parts to work with so that if I choose, I can return the gun to a fully functional .357 mag lever action.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links