Clearing double feeds??

This is a discussion on Clearing double feeds?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When clearing double feeds I was taught to drop the mag & pull the the slide back & shake the round out of the camber ...

Thread: Clearing double feeds??

Clearing double feeds??

When clearing double feeds I was taught to drop the mag & pull the the slide back & shake the round out of the camber after the first one comes mag well. Does that sound right? Thats why I always carry exra mag & practice. Any thoughts?? Thanks /H-D

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    The was i was taught was to drop the mag, put the mag in the front of your pants between your belt and combat shelf, rack the gun untill all rounds are expelled, re-insert mag, tap and rack. Well that is the "tactical double feed clearance drill" i was taught.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    When clearing double feeds I was taught to drop the mag & pull the the slide back & shake the round out of the camber after the first one comes mag well. Does that sound right? Thats why I always carry exra mag & practice. Any thoughts?? Thanks /H-D
    I never heard of any other practical way, except for the time when I had to wiggle the slide a little to clear the chamber.

Good deal Hyd Glock sounds like a good thing to keep mag in pants depending on situation I can drop mine a little quicker & snach the one on belt a Slam it home THANKSfor info H/D

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    With a double feed, you likely won't be able to drop the mag as it is jammed in there by the half-fed round. You will really need to rip the mag free (pull hard from the mag base with the off hand while pressing the mag release), then, yes, rack the slide several times until nothing comes out, insert mag (retained one or new one as you prefer), charge the weapon and go.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Ahh yes. I completly over looked that part. jam, assess, lock back slide, then release- follow with my previous post. Sorry Guys. Good call Krzz
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Tap, rack, bang - still experiencing jam. Drop mag, tip gun over, rack slide, rack slide, inspect for clear, if clear, insert mag and rack, if no clear, manually clear then insert mag and rack slide, reacquire target and fire.

I never had a dbl /fd Only in rim fire 9mm S&W i put a snap cap in & rack slide & then CLEAR DRILL,I carry extra mag just in case But if ever have I wont rack slide I SHAKE spent round out so not to break Extractor!

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    With a double feed, you likely won't be able to drop the mag as it is jammed in there by the half-fed round. You will really need to rip the mag free (pull hard from the mag base with the off hand while pressing the mag release), then, yes, rack the slide several times until nothing comes out, insert mag (retained one or new one as you prefer), charge the weapon and go.
    The reason to carry a second mag...not necessarily for more rounds!

Stay armed...carry an extra mag...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Tap, rack, bang - still experiencing jam. Drop mag, tip gun over, rack slide, rack slide, inspect for clear, if clear, insert mag and rack, if no clear, manually clear then insert mag and rack slide, reacquire target and fire.
    Somewhere in there you ought to be looking for cover if applicable.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Pretty much a given. You can dedicate 3 months to street survival if you wanted but for simple failure drills, that's the recipe. That's what our instructors taught us in our lil' ol'e law enforcement class anyways. ;)

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Somewhere in there you ought to be looking for cover if applicable.
    You should probably be looking for cover way before your gun malfunctions...OMO
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Administrator

With many 1911 format handguns the extractor has a knife edge that cuts into the cartridge brass and the extractor hook is sharper and longer than it needs to be.
    That makes it much more difficult to clear any malf where a cartridge case is lodged under the extractor.
    The extractor should also not have more tension than it needs in order to accomplish reliable extraction.

If you properly modify and tune the extractor then you'll have far fewer jams and the rare one that you do have will be much more easily cleared. Just FYI.

Also if you have an aftermarket heavy duty "machined from tool steel" extractor properly installed in your firearm you'll never really need to be concerned about breaking your extractor when clearing a malf.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks to all /cover or ovoidment first I myself have never had a double feed though thats how my brothers LEO range instructer tought him & he passed it on Thaks again H/D

Links