You Glock Guys - Page 2

You Glock Guys

This is a discussion on You Glock Guys within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just curious...why do you folks add the extended slide stop? From what I have heard you are not supposed to use that lever to unlock ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You Glock Guys

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Just curious...why do you folks add the extended slide stop? From what I have heard you are not supposed to use that lever to unlock the slide, just to lock it. Do you hit the button to unlock the slide? Or is there another purpose to an extended button?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Fast reload after firing to empty: stay on target, drop magazine with right hand while reaching for new magazine with left hand, slam in new magazine with left hand, release slide with right, resume firing grip, and you're ready. If your thumbs are a bit short, the extended releases help a lot. (Front Sight technique)
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right. - Learned Hand

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Ah. Something I have heard over and over is that the slide stop lever on Glocks should not be pushed to release the slide. The guy who taught my CCW class is also a Glock armorer and he reinforced this point more than once saying that doing so will eventually break the slide stop lever.

He said the only appropriate way to release a Glock at slide lock is to pull back on the slide.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I customize my 1911's. I leave my Glocks alone.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Added a set of CT lasergrips to my G19. Want to trade out night sites too :)
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

I improved my Glock by taking it out of the box before use.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

G23 mods...

I'm sure the Glock purists won't approve, but my Glock 23 was heavily modified by the original owner by sending it to Arotek and having the following done:

1. Hard chrome slide
    2. Extended slide stop
    3. Extended mag release
    4. Stainless steel guide rod
    5. Arotek night sights

I've had the gun for about 8 years and have put maybe 3000 rounds through it without any problems. I especially like the night sights and the hard chrome.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G96X0 View Post
    After years of being primarily a 1911 guy. I bought a Glock 23 sometime back, and have put a couple of hundred rounds through it. I decided it needed a lighter recoil spring (for starters).

So I removed 5 coils from the factory spring. Reassembled it and am very pleased with the results. I hope to replace the factory barrel with a Wilson very soon as well.

What mods have you done to improve the performance of your Glock?
    How did you remove the captive spring from the plastic guide rod and then reassemble it? I vote "not a good idea" too but I'm curious as to how you did it. Do you have the older version with the non captive spring. The reason that I feel that this is a bad idea is twofold. 1. Slide velocities are already high on the .40 glocks. This can create a condition that causes the slide to "outrun" the magazine. This will create stoppages. The 22 suffers from this just by stiffening the frame with certain rail mounted lights. 2. The higher slide velocity will cause separation of the slide rails from the frame.

Wolf has a spring pack that will let you calibrate the spring weight to a specific load. That might yield a more consistent result vs cutting the existing spring.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Ah. Something I have heard over and over is that the slide stop lever on Glocks should not be pushed to release the slide. The guy who taught my CCW class is also a Glock armorer and he reinforced this point more than once saying that doing so will eventually break the slide stop lever.

He said the only appropriate way to release a Glock at slide lock is to pull back on the slide.
    I use the slide stop for this purpose all of the time. With my G27 at the range, or my G17 in competition. Utilizing the slide release is also a habit of mine when I shoot my P220. Different schools of thought no doubt.

It's a slide stop, not a release.
    Last edited by srfl; November 19th, 2008 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    It's a slide stop, not a release.
    So....why have a lever to release the slide from lock?
    Last edited by srfl; November 19th, 2008 at 02:40 AM.

My front site fell off once. I found it on the floor of my truck and popped it back on by hand. Still shoots straight as an arrow :)

Sort of a mod, I suppose....
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by chaosrob View Post
    Maybe I am thinking about this wrong, but this is how I see it..

The lower the spring rate the longer the wire is. As the wire gets shorter the spring rate increases, correct? Active turns are the number of turns of the spring that are not touching anything. Any part of the coils which makes contact with anything becomes inactive, that is it no longer functions as part of the spring.
    No, you are correct. He effectively increased his spring rate; yet decreased his effective slide travel distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    So....I reckon the question would be,,,,,why have a lever to release the slide from lock?
    It's a slide STOP, The lever is meant to move upward to lock the slide open. It just happens to move downward also, but not meant to drop the slide. Guys have developed that bad habit over time. When I was carrying one in the Army, you would have got smacked in the head for doing it. It is hard on the slide notch. I think I've still got my manuals somewhere that all say to release the slide manually.

EDIT: I just found my Ed Brown info...they specifically say to release the slide by pulling and release (slingshot).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links