You Glock Guys

You Glock Guys

This is a discussion on You Glock Guys within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After years of being primarily a 1911 guy. I bought a Glock 23 sometime back, and have put a couple of hundred rounds through it. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You Glock Guys

You Glock Guys

After years of being primarily a 1911 guy. I bought a Glock 23 sometime back, and have put a couple of hundred rounds through it. I decided it needed a lighter recoil spring (for starters).

So I removed 5 coils from the factory spring. Reassembled it and am very pleased with the results. I hope to replace the factory barrel with a Wilson very soon as well.

What mods have you done to improve the performance of your Glock?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I replaced my connector and trigger spring to get a more consistent pull. I also picked up some +2 floorplate magazines.

Aside from that though, I am a bit scared to do anything more. I want it to be reliable, and since I am not a gunsmith I am playing it safe and only doing 'stock' modifications where Glock makes the parts.

I would definitely be scared to mess with a recoil spring!
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by G96X0 View Post
    After years of being primarily a 1911 guy. I bought a Glock 23 sometime back, and have put a couple of hundred rounds through it. I decided it needed a lighter recoil spring (for starters).

So I removed 5 coils from the factory spring. Reassembled it and am very pleased with the results. I hope to replace the factory barrel with a Wilson very soon as well.

I don't think I would ever remove coils from a recoil spring in any pistol. I'm sort of surprised you haven't had any issues thus far. Personally, I think you've gone the wrong way in a means to an end result....none of which should have been necessary in my opinion. Lighter recoil springs would cause more muzzle rise, slower operation of the action, and increase the possibility of feeding issues. There are better alternatives to shortening a recoil spring to reduce spring weight (pressure), and your spring is still the same LB rating as it was before even if you did cut some coils off. Lone Wolf or (LWD) makes many springs in different weights for different pistols/reasons. Most also come with a replacement trigger spring or striker spring and are supposed to be used in combination for safety reasons and operational issues. For your safety, and longevity of your G23, if I were you, I'd find another full length recoil spring as soon as possible, and replace your chopped one. I use all aftermarket recoils springs in all of my Glocks....some the standard round springs, some the flat springs. Some captive, and others non-captive, but all stock replacement weight ratings. Why? You'd have to ask the engineers.
    I'm rather concerned for you and your pistol now. Why? Because somebody needs to be. Don't take this too hard, just constructive criticism. Cutting coils out of a recoil spring should be a sin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I don't think I would ever remove coils from a recoil spring in any pistol. I'm sort of surprised you haven't had any issues thus far. Personally, I think you've gone the wrong way in a means to an end result....none of which should have been necessary in my opinion. Lighter recoil springs would cause more muzzle rise, slower operation of the action, and increase the possibility of feeding issues. There are better alternatives to shortening a recoil spring to reduce spring weight (pressure), and your spring is still the same LB rating as it was before even if you did cut some coils off. Lone Wolf or (LWD) makes many springs in different weights for different pistols/reasons. Most also come with a replacement trigger spring or striker spring and are supposed to be used in combination for safety reasons and operational issues. For your safety, and longevity of your G23, if I were you, I'd find another full length recoil spring as soon as possible, and replace your chopped one. I use all aftermarket recoils springs in all of my Glocks....some the standard round springs, some the flat springs. Some captive, and others non-captive, but all stock replacement weight ratings. Why? You'd have to ask the engineers.
    I'm rather concerned for you and your pistol now. Why? Because somebody needs to be. Don't take this too hard, just constructive criticism. Cutting coils out of a recoil spring should be a sin.
    +1 on that. Get a new recoil spring ASAP. I'd hate to read about a statistic.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Great advice, I agree 100%.

Constructive criticism taken, I knew there would be some "ooo I wouldn't"...

now;

Look, all the competition guys mod their own firearms for accuracy. I engineer and make parts on moving equipment on a day to day basis. Also have a firm grasp on "strength of materials" and am able to finite element analysis components as needed.

The engineers that design the recoils, design them extra heavy (I won't go into why). They can be lightened up considerably without failure. This reduces muzzle flip and allows faster acquisition of the target, and the ejection process improves as well.

There are not many aftermarket springs for glocks that I have found. As for the 1911 platform, you can go 21lbs to 8lbs.

I could go on... I assure you, it's not like I'm some 17 year old with a screw driver and a pair of dykes.

now;

Look, all the competition guys mod their own firearms for accuracy. I engineer and make parts on moving equipment on a day to day basis. Also have a firm grasp on "strength of materials" and am able to finite element analysis components as needed.

The engineers that design the recoils, design them extra heavy (I won't go into why). They can be lightened up considerably without failure. This reduces muzzle flip and allows faster acquisition of the target, and the ejection process improves as well.

There are not many aftermarket springs for glocks that I have found. As for the 1911 platform, you can go 21lbs to 8lbs.

I could go on... I assure you, it's not like I'm some 17 year old with a screw driver and a pair of dykes.
    I certainly don't think that anyone was trying to be insulting. Everyone has their own comfort level and obviously you feel like this is well within your capabilities. I personally would be concerned about the promoted wear from the increased rate, and possible reliability issues stemming from that.
    Just fire a lot of shots before you carry it.

I added the extended slide stop lever, extended mag release, 3.5 lb connector, extra power trigger spring, and LWD trigger stop, in addition to the "Glock $0.25 trigger job", to both my G17 and G21. It wasn't that much work, and the result was a nice, light, smooth trigger. Reliability hasn't changed; they're both rock solid in that department.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

now;

Well, let's put it this way....I don't see how it reduces muzzle flip, recoil, or improves ejection. Of course I'm not an engineer either. We still wouldn't want the 'younger crowd' (with scredrivers and side-cutters) thinking this might be an acceptable practice. All in all, your spring still has the same rating, it's just shorter now. I figure that sooner or later, this would lead to lock-up problems as well as the possibility of a round not fully chambering, and most of us have taken notes as to the Glocks and the possibilities of firing out of battery, and some issues specifically with the 40S&W caliber enough not to tempt fate. I truly wish you luck. No insults intended.
    Resource for other available spring weights for Glock pistols: http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/GlockNF.html

I put Big Dot Sights on my gun, lube with grease and left the internals bone stock.

Aftermarket parts other than sights are a recipe for disaster with a Glock.

Leave it alone.

now;

Yes, but these "competition guys" don't rely on these competition guns for self-defense. I certainly hope you do know what you're doing, for your sake. I wish you luck.

As far as the original post, I haven't done anything to my Glock except shoot ammo through it. I don't like to fix what isn't broken. To each his own.

-Jeff-

All in all, your spring still has the same rating, it's just shorter now. I
    Maybe I am thinking about this wrong, but this is how I see it..

The lower the spring rate the longer the wire is. As the wire gets shorter the spring rate increases, correct? Active turns are the number of turns of the spring that are not touching anything. Any part of the coils which makes contact with anything becomes inactive, that is it no longer functions as part of the spring.

The term 'parts is parts' refers to chicken, not guns. When you start playing with around with springs, you must have decided not to use that pistol for CCW...OMO, but I still wouldn't do it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For my Glock 30 (not SF), I added the extended slide stop lever, extended mag release, Ghost 3.5# connector. Happy to have done so.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right. - Learned Hand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links