Trouble Aiming

This is a discussion on Trouble Aiming within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am having a problem aiming my firearm; I am a new shooter very new. The trouble is that I have trouble shooting with both ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Aiming

Trouble Aiming

I am having a problem aiming my firearm; I am a new shooter very new. The trouble is that I have trouble shooting with both eyes open. My dominate eye is my right eye. For me to get a clear sight on my target my left needs to be closed, I believe it may be force of habit. I keep reading that one eye shooting is alright for distance shooting but in a combat (Self Defense) situation it is better to have both eyes open so I can have all my surrounding in my peripheral vision. Does any one ells have this issue, or has any one ells worked around this, Are there exercises that I can do when I am not shooting to train my eyes to stay open?
    Thanks,
    -Rob-

2. Remove Ads

I had the same problem . My only cure was to take the rear sight off and just use the front. kinda like point shooting.works good for me at any distance. almost like sighting in a shotgun.....
    I bow to one king, and serve only one kingdom
    JESUS CHRIST

Unless you have had lots of practice using both eyes when aiming, and are able to physically ignore the info coming from the eye not looking down the sight rail, you will not be able to get a clear picture.

Personally, the only time I actually aim when shooting (practice or IDPA) is at distances over 15 yards. Otherwise it is all point shooting.

Practice, practice, practice.

Do a search on the forum with "point shooting" in the thread title. There are several good threads on the subject.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I have a somewhat similar problem with keeping both eyes open: I have no dominant eye (ambi...eye? ). When I bring the sights up it is really luck of the draw as to which eye catches them...but now that I have practiced a million times the aim is consistent with either eye.

Not sure if maybe this is a little of what is going on for you as well...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

me 2, but I keep closing my left eye. I guess I need to learn point and shoot system.

Demeo:

I think with practice and experimentation, you will overcome your problem. New shooters often have the problem you describe. Don't worry about closing one eye for now.

Make sure you have correctly identified your dominant eye. (several methods -- I use the method where you hold both hands in front of you with arms extended. Overlap your hands so there is a small hole between the webs of your thumbs. Sight through the hole at an object across the room. Close one eye, then the other. When the object sighted on disappears, that is your non-dominant eye.) I say this because you may not have a dominant eye. I also suggest you do the test several times, as I have seen some that get a "false" result the first time.

I am right handed, but left-eye dominant. I have learned to shoot with either eye over time, but in a stress situations usually go back to my left eye. I usually turn my head to the left to better align my left eye with the gun. You may find the same thing helps if you are right-eye dominant -- just turn your head to the right so your left eye isn't looking at the target.

Hope this helps.

Charles

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I guess what I taught myself is kind of like point shooting - I focus on the target until I bring the gun up into my line of sight (instinctively pointing it where I'm looking). Once the gun is fully up into my line of sight I focus on the front sight with both eyes open and 9 out of 10 times I'm exactly on target... the other time I'm really stinkin' close. This is something I've recently started doing because being right-handed and left-eye dominant I was originally shooting left handed and keeping my right eye shut, but that was too awkward. Then I was shooting right-handed, but cocking my head to the side and still closing my right eye, which left a lot to be desired... so I just looked at what I needed to do and came up with something that worked. I still use the sights, but I get really stinkin' close just by point the gun where I'm looking...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

In a SD situation after you identify the target let it blur... get a clear view of the front sight and put it over the fuzzy target. Try that next time you hit the range.

Demeo2169
    I am having a problem aiming my firearm; I am a new shooter very new. The trouble is that I have trouble shooting with both eyes open. My dominate eye is my right eye. For me to get a clear sight on my target my left needs to be closed, I believe it may be force of habit. I keep reading that one eye shooting is alright for distance shooting but in a combat (Self Defense) situation it is better to have both eyes open so I can have all my surrounding in my peripheral vision. Does any one ells have this issue, or has any one ells worked around this, Are there exercises that I can do when I am not shooting to train my eyes to stay open?
    Thanks,
    -Rob-

C Paul Lincoln
    I think with practice and experimentation, you will overcome your problem. New shooters often have the problem you describe. Don't worry about closing one eye for now.

Make sure you have correctly identified your dominant eye. (several methods -- I use the method where you hold both hands in front of you with arms extended. Overlap your hands so there is a small hole between the webs of your thumbs. Sight through the hole at an object across the room. Close one eye, then the other. When the object sighted on disappears, that is your non-dominant eye.) I say this because you may not have a dominant eye. I also suggest you do the test several times, as I have seen some that get a "false" result the first time.

I am right handed, but left-eye dominant. I have learned to shoot with either eye over time, but in a stress situations usually go back to my left eye. I usually turn my head to the left to better align my left eye with the gun. You may find the same thing helps if you are right-eye dominant -- just turn your head to the right so your left eye isn't looking at the target.

Hope this helps.

Charles

Demeo, Charles was dead on with his post. Here is another way to determine your dominant eye. If you are right handed use your right index finger, lefties would use their left. With both eyes open look across the room at an object, say a picture, and put you finger tip in line with the picture. Close one eye, then the other. If you are right eye dominate, when you close your left eye (non dominate eye), your finger will still be on the picture. When you close your dominate eye, your finger will shift to one side or the other. This is also a good practice method of training your non dominate eye to look where your dominate eye looks. Keep practicing till you can look at that picture with both eyes open, and your finger still pointing to it. The image of your finger might be a little blury once you start getting there, but keep practicing! Soon you will be able to point at the picture with both eyes open, and see your finger tip covering the pictrue. Good luck, and welcome to wonderfull world of shooting!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

I just close my left eye. Problem solved.

Easy to cure. Crimson Trace. Get the free DVD from Crimson Trace and watch it. And no, I do not work for them, nor do I sell their products. It gives you a very distinct advantage most BG's will not have. It allows you to concentrate on the target, not on the pistol. The laser eliminates the need to align your eyes with the front and rear sights and the target. You can shoot ACCURATELY from ANY position, just point and shoot.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    Easy to cure. Crimson Trace. Get the free DVD from Crimson Trace and watch it. And no, I do not work for them, nor do I sell their products. It gives you a very distinct advantage most BG's will not have. It allows you to concentrate on the target, not on the pistol. The laser eliminates the need to align your eyes with the front and rear sights and the target. You can shoot ACCURATELY from ANY position, just point and shoot.
    D
    Just remember to keep practicing without the laser. (and with)

I trust my life to my Glock, but I wouldn't to a battery operated laser.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Administrator

Oh boy...

There are some problems here...

First, this is one of the most common new shooter issues, but its one of the easier ones to cure. Its right there with the "low and left" issue.

Second, most new "instructors" have no idea how to fix the problem and often give poor advice only making the problem worse. It does not matter about eye dominance, both the new shooter and instructor are focused on the wrong thing.

Third, buying a gadget to cure poor shooting technique? Surely you are kidding... please tell me you are. I want to hurl. That is the exact reason why I despise the lasers so much. Its like taking Tylenol to fend off a cancer. That is going to do nothing but provide yourself with a very false sense of security. But they do point out one very correct element of the problem, the focus isn't where it needs to be.

Here is what you do to fix the problem; As I stated, your focused on the wrong things. When you go to the range, don't shoot at a bulls eye type target anymore, unless you plan on becoming a bulls eye shooter. If you want to become a combat shooter, shoot at a plain piece of paper of steel plates are even better, move to the fancy targets later.

Focus on the target. Your sights should be floating around in the foreground of your sight picture.

Don't even try to hold your gun rock steady... it just isn't going to happen and you are wasting time and energy trying to do so. Let those sights float around a little bit over the target. As they float around, your focus being on the target, start a gentle squeeze on the trigger keeping those sights floating around in the foreground of your sight picture.

Following this, you should be able to keep both eyes open. Remember, its a pistol, not a rifle.

If something is worth doing, its worth doing right. Don't mess around with the gadgetry or poor technique. Decide what kind of shooter you want to be, then move on from there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Focus on the target. Your sights should be floating around in the foreground of your sight picture.
    this is the exact opposite of everything I've read or heard. From here, from instructors, from books and magazines supposedly written by various types of experts.

Is this what is called Point Shooting?

I'm going to try it out, as I also shoot with one eye shut.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

When I shoot right handed, I close my left eye. When I shoot left handed I close my right eye. I cannot shoot a shotgun with both eyes open. Don't worry about it. Shoot what way is comfotable to you. Just remember to concentrate on the front sight.

Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links