Please help to understand. - Page 2

Please help to understand.

This is a discussion on Please help to understand. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Mikey I am not sure I understand this. It means you don't need a license to have a concealed weapon if you're ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I am not sure I understand this.
    It means you don't need a license to have a concealed weapon if you're in your vehicle or on your way to it.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    It means you don't need a license to have a concealed weapon if you're in your vehicle or on your way to it.

-B
    Just remember that it varies from state to state. For instance here in Indiana, you must have a CCW to carry a loaded handgun on yourself even if you are in your own vehicle.

BAC
    Correct. He asked about specific Texas legislation, though, so context was already provided.

-B

Mikey,

HB1815 basically says you don't need a CHL to transport a loaded firearm to your car, then conceal it in your vehicle for travel purposes. You can not carry it outside the vehicle on public or private property, other than your own without the CHL.

No, you don't need a CHL to go to the range, unless the specific range has that rule, which would be really ignorant if they did.

And yes, you can take a long gun, or shot gun just about anywhere in Texas loaded, in your car, to the store, in a bar, or just strolling down the street. I am not recommending this method of self defense measure, as it will probably get you a bit of attention from the local police, but it is definately legal, unless local ordanances forbid it.

And take your friend shooting with you some time, he might like it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

He is not my friend, just a coworker. I don't really want to take him with me.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Correct. He asked about specific Texas legislation, though, so context was already provided.

-B
    That's what i figured, but I didn't want someone just skimming through and seeing that and thinking that it was okay to carry a loaded handgun with them in the car in every state without a CCW.

VIP Member

Not sure this is the whole story

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Mikey,

HB1815 basically says you don't need a CHL to transport a loaded firearm to your car, then conceal it in your vehicle for travel purposes. You can not carry it outside the vehicle on public or private property, other than your own without the CHL.

No, you don't need a CHL to go to the range,
    I'm uncertain this is the whole story here. Sure you can take the gun from your home to your car; but if you exit your car in a public place while armed, there could be an issue. Yes, you are allowed to take a gun from your home to your own business by the most direct route, and the reverse. I think that this is specified in the law. I'm not sure if it is also specified that it is O.K. to take it to the range, though I think it probably is.

It would be helpful if someone who knows the code could post the specifics. (I don't think it is in the concealed handgun license handbook, but that would be because this issue isn't about licensed carry. I could be wrong of course.)

I have wondered about this in the past, and one reason for getting my license was to avoid any ambiguous situations. It is definitely worth the minor trouble and expense to get the license and be done with "situational" concerns other than 30.06 and 51 once and for all.

All of that said, I am going to guess that if it were NOT legal, the local pd would from time to time enforce the law by checking on those walking to and exiting the range.

Maybe they should require all range visitors to have a CCW permit...would make things a lot less crowded...

Never heard of such a thing...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Man, you make me soooo glad to live where I do.

That wouldn't even be a question here. It would get everyone laughing though.

Without a CHL.... put it in the trunk unloaded, and off ya go. Some areas.... rifles can be carried loaded as long as they are in clear view.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links