Skeet shooting!!

Skeet shooting!!

This is a discussion on Skeet shooting!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well... I've only ever shot a shotgun at paper at the range but this past Sunday I went skeet shooting with some family freinds that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skeet shooting!!

Skeet shooting!!

Well... I've only ever shot a shotgun at paper at the range but this past Sunday I went skeet shooting with some family freinds that hunt. (They're mid-late 40s, im 21). We only did 2 rounds, each round with 8 stations for a total of 24 shots/round. 1st round I hit the first clay and not a single one more. Its a lot harder than it looks especially since I have never really shot a shotgun. 2nd round I hit almost half of them. I had a blast. and best of all my shoulder never hurt and I didn't get a busted cheek.

p.s.
    The next day my shoulder was thanking me. lol

Administrator
    Skeet shooting is a lot of fun, and I'm horrible at it but I go whenever I get a chance. Try out sporting clays, its a lot more fun IMO, and I'm better at that. I enjoy trap too... hell, they are all fun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It's lots of fun! I am basically a trap shooter, not skeet, but I love the sport and go at least twice a week. Try to keep it up, but don't overdo it!

You didn't mention if you were using a skeet shotgun, but you might want to consider a gas/auto, like the Rem 1100. You'll find the recoil much, much less!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I love clay pidgons like R. Lee Ermey, GunnerySergent, U.S.M.C. (ret.) loves watermelon!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I was using a 12 gauge 3in semi auto beretta of some kind. They actually use it to hunt. I barely even felt the recoil. I felt like I had been doing it all my life (except for all the missing). It was the next day that I was hurting and I was kind of surprised that I was.

After 150 or so 2 3/4" lo-brass #8 or#9 shot out of my Rem. 1100, my sholder will remind me of the prior day's activities.....but it sure is fun!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    I was using a 12 gauge 3in semi auto beretta of some kind. They actually use it to hunt. I barely even felt the recoil. I felt like I had been doing it all my life (except for all the missing). It was the next day that I was hurting and I was kind of surprised that I was.
    Probably a 391. Its a very popular gun with hunters and clay guys alike. Its a fantastic gun. I shoot the bling 391 Teknys version.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It's a great time, I try to go a couple times a month. The old timers where I go never miss.

ALL shotgun sports are fun, even more so when you learn to keep the gun moving and maintain the proper lead on your targets. I try to get out as often as possible.

I have taken many people out shooting clays and they always have a blast,people that have never shot a gun before when they break their first clay it's like a rite of passage and they want to get better
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Well... I've only ever shot a shotgun at paper at the range but this past Sunday I went skeet shooting with some family freinds that hunt. (They're mid-late 40s, im 21). We only did 2 rounds, each round with 8 stations for a total of 24 shots/round. 1st round I hit the first clay and not a single one more. Its a lot harder than it looks especially since I have never really shot a shotgun. 2nd round I hit almost half of them. I had a blast. and best of all my shoulder never hurt and I didn't get a busted cheek.

p.s.
    The next day my shoulder was thanking me. lol
    I'm a skeet shooter by heart and I'm thinking about trying international and working trying to work my way to the top.

Here are some tips as to the science behind the game of skeet.

Tip #1:
    Chokes:

If you have the ability use a choke designated "Skeet" if you don't Improved Cylinder will work as well, or Cylinder Choke.

Chokes that are making it harder for you to hit the target. Full, Improved Modified, Modified.

Tip #2
    You want to line up where you are going to break the target not where you are going to see the target. Think of your self when you start as a wound up spring! Your tight and as you track the target you get looser and looser to your natural shooting position as to where you want to break the target.

RH shooter- Always point your belly button at the LOW house window on stations 1-6 and Low 8. Stations 7 point point directly away from the low house window straight out at a 90 degree angle away from the field. (or you can line up like a rifle shooter point at the High window.

LH shooter Always point your belly button at the High house window on stations 2-7 and high 8. Station 1 point point directly away from the low house window straight out at a 90 degree angle away from the field. (or you can line up like a rifle shooter pointi at the low window.

Tip # 3: How far how to judge what distance is out where the birds are?

If your skeet field has a trap house on it as well then this will help you determine leads very easy. Trap house is for the Game of trap!
    Trap houses are generaly 8 feet in length.

Key H=High House, L=Low house.

Station one/seven:
    Hight house-Try to imagine the bird is carrying a dollar bill in his legs shoot the dollar bill out of his legs (or right before the bird lands on the top of your bead pull trigger.
    Low house-Try to imagine the target has a pretend beak out in front 1 foot. Shoot where it eats not where it ****S.

Reverse the logic when your shooting from station seven.

Station two/six: You now have a two foot lead. Remember your trap house is 8 feet across! Cut the roof into four sections and if you point a quarter out then the edge of the house is your two foot lead.

Station three/five: You now have a four foot lead. Remember your trap house is 8 feet across point your gun at the middle of the house and the corners of the house are four feet from the center. Theres your lead.

Station Four: Some guys say this is a 5 foot lead I still use a four foot lead and it seems to work for me.

Therefore I would say try station three and five and if doesn't work shoot farther in front.

Remember your shotgun shoots a a long cloud of pellets (not a WALL of pellets) therefore if your first pellet in the cloud goes behind the target your chances of breaking it are reduced. But if your first pellet goes in front of the target all the other little pellets bringing up the rear have much higher chance of smashing the target.

Station 8: Is a swing through move your gun faster then the target as soon as your gun covers up the target pull trigger and keep swinging.

Last tips:
    NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO EVEN IF YOU BREAK A TARGET INTO LITTLE IDDY BITTY PIECES OR IF YOU MISS. FIND THE BIGGEST PIECE OF THE TARGET AND MAINTAIN YOUR RELATIVE LEAD AND FOLLOW IT ALL THE WAY TO THE GROUND. This reinforces proper leads as well as FOLLOW THROUGH which is extremely important.

Flying targets you focus on the target no the front bead. I know this is hard if your a rifle our pistol shooter practicing fundamental site alighnment but shotgun shooters have to focus on the target NOT the front bead. IF you can focus on a small section of the target while its in flight that small little circle becomes a flying trash can lid.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Administrator
    Thanks Rob, those sound like some good tips. I'm going to try some of 'em out later this week.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks Rob, I'll try to keep all that in mind. All the oldtimers kept telling me to follow though. lol

Here's my sage advice:

It's easy to hit any of the targets.
    It's just as easy to miss any of the targets!

Just have fun!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I like doing it and my son (15 yo) is picking up on it... He wants to go far more than I have the time to... (can't blame him on that one)

Darn kid can outshoot me with clay targets though...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links