I had a crazy idea - Page 3

I had a crazy idea

This is a discussion on I had a crazy idea within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Front strap checkering...... Sharp edges,rounded(shaped).......These are just some of the reasons that I got a Kimber CDP. When talking to people about what they want ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I had a crazy idea

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Front strap checkering...... Sharp edges,rounded(shaped).......These are just some of the reasons that I got a Kimber CDP. When talking to people about what they want in a carry OR a competition weapon they list a whole bunch of things that they could get if they only spent a little more and bought the weapon that way from the factory. Unless you are looking for a weapon that you can say that you built, prospective 1911 buyers should carefully take a look at the multitude of factory inhanced weapons that are offered. Nowadays you can buy 1911's with all the goodies that anyone could want. I have had several 1911's that I have started puting some of the goodies that I wanted on. After I got the weapon the way that I wanted it,I added up the cost of all the parts and i quickly realized that I could have bought a used(98%)Wilson,Baer,etc. for 'bout the same price. That Colt CC is a purdie weapon.But they do(as allot of weapons do nowadays) come fairly sharp. I don't blame you for wanting to smooth it out a bit. If it is damageing your expensive holster especially. I have used a Dremmel tool,the small felt wheels,and some polishing compound to do a couple of 1911's. Just make sure that you go up and down the edge instead of around the corner. This will make it more even looking and the wheel is less likely to "run" down your slide,frame,etc. I have had friends that have told me that they use a file and then finish up with a Dremmel. Any way that you do it,it will take allot of time and patience to have it come out right. Especially if you want the edges to be really rounded as the Kimbers are. ----------

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    That's another thought Bob but - I'd add a caution - all deburr tools I have and have used, can still take an uneven cut if not careful. Particularly as we are talking some straight runs as against like deburring inside a drilled hole etc.
    I completly understand you Chris. The tool could be used to begin the process, by slowly running the tool across the metal. After that process I'd take a good stone to it, and smooth all the broken edges..so no uneven marks/lines are present... Either that, or a good disk type grinder would do it as well.
    Of course, the guys who do it for a living have the jigs/and or plates to place the frames and slides on a CNC machine and use the cutters and endmills to break the edges..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    I'm beginning to think you guys don't wanna see me attack my new Colt with a file? I figure if I go and buy a 12 pack it should help things along J/K I'll start with some emery paper, and see how that works out. If all else fails I do have a bench grinder that will do the job
    Send it to me Bruce............I'll do it... Former machinist here...still have the tools and patience to "attack" it.
    Best thing about it is............I'd need to carry it for a while.............just to make sure all the broken edges didn't cut that holster.. hehehehehe

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    Send it to me Bruce............I'll "attack" it. Thing is............I'd need to carry it for a while.............just to make sure all the broken edges didn't cut that holster.. hehehehehe
    Thats a nice offer of ya, ya would proboly need to carry it for like 6 months right just to be sure it works good right.

I am going to take some better before pics when I get back in a few hours, then I'll get to work on it and post some after pics.

Ok, I gave her hell and it turned out better than I would have thought. Take a look and tell me what ya think. Keep in mind everything was done with a flat needle file and it took about 2 1/2 hours.
    Attached Images

Here are the rest.
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    Hey - only viewed a few pics (wow - what a set you took!) - but looks like you have achieved an excellent result. One edge of serrations in particular shows very well and the slight rounding looks very clean indeed.

Bottom line - your assessment - pleased? Looks like you should be.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Bottom line - your assessment - pleased? Looks like you should be.
    Very pleased. What a world of diff it makes in reholstering . Now I wanna get the whole thing polished.

I had to take one from every angle cause I am quite proud of it, seeing how I was quite nervous to start filing on a $850 gun.

Lead Moderator
    looks great. I personally would be scared to try that with a expensive pistol. Glad it turned out alright.

Looks Good Bruce Good job

OD*
    Looks good, Bruce.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Looks good so far!............How bout breaking the edges a bit more? and doing more of the Melt-down treatment? say around the edges of the slide area, near the bottom of the frame?

Assistant Administrator
    How bout breaking the edges a bit more
    Steady Bob - subtle is good - ''less is more''.

Seriously - I think if Bruce has gotten his real sharp stuff smoothed, and it holsters way better then - that is good.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    I was thinking about getting a small file out and attempting to do some edge breaking on my XSE. The edges on that baby are sharp enough to shave with, that and its tearing the holster I got from Chris all to shreds. Here is what I am starting out with, hopefully I won't butcher it to bad.

I had a Colt Defender with same problem. Friend of mine said I could get it "Dehorned" which I found out meant to smooth out the sharp edges like your gonna do. Good luck.
    For God, Family and Country!

I don't wanna get too crazy with it Bob, Like Chris said earlier, metal gone is metal gone for good. I am happy with the way it turned out, all the sharp edges are gone and I don't get chunks of leather when I unholster and re holster it anymore.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links