How far would you go to protect your property?

This is a discussion on How far would you go to protect your property? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You are home alone, your car is in the driveway. You hear noise outside, you look in the window you see a BG, it's getting ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How far would you go to protect your property?

How far would you go to protect your property?

You are home alone, your car is in the driveway. You hear noise outside, you look in the window you see a BG, it's getting dark. You have valuable things in the car.

Would you step out side? If you would would you get your gun?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    How do I know its a bad guy, and not a pizza man looking for an address? Whats the BG doing? Can I be sure that I'm not out numbered or out gunned?

I know a lot of people dont agree with this, but I'm not getting into a shooting over property. Its not worth it. Its like spending dollars to save pennies.
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 20th, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

911 first, then make sure my home and family were secure and stayed that way.
    Let my insurance company deal with the propery issues.
    bosco

first my safty is more important then whats in the car... My gun is always on me, always so Id have that. Lock door on house, and watch car.. walks towards car call 911. and wait. maybe get a camera ready and snap a pic of the guy. If I could run this clown show... Id say watch guy.. he walks to your car and opens door or breaks window, run to safe real quick and return

wOw no one would want to come out and protect their property? interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Perhaps. Depends on my mood. First thing is 9-1-1 of course and give a good description of the suspect, and if I am going outside of myself.

If for some reason I did decide to go outside to confront the BG, why on earth would I do so unarmed?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

You have to understand that not all states are as "enlightened" as Texas. Many states do not allow the use of deadly force to protect property like Texas does. And even those of us that are legally permitted to do so for the most part are not looking for excuses to do so.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Administrator
    We never said that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    We never said that.
    some did. I don't know what I would do. Most likely I would come out armed after calling the cops.

Well, Texas is a bit more liberal in its acknowledgment of elimination of criminals being a first principle. In many, many other places, otherwise good people are put through the wringer to explain how and why, if they "dare" put down a mad dog. Legalities aside, many places (amazingly) allow civil lawsuits against citizens who put down violent attackers. That all needs to be taken into account, when gauging peoples' responses.

Thankfully, Oregon is not one of those places. Here, the law supports my going outside to investigate things. It supports my doing so armed. I have a CHL, so I'm not going to be automatically deemed a criminal for doing so.

A crime of rooting around for a burglary (a property crime) is one thing. That, in and of itself, does not legally warrant the use of lethal force in Oregon. However, I have no problems asking what someone is doing. If the criminal THEN turns on me and executes a second, more-violent person crime against me, then the law is fairly clear: essentially, I may use the degree of force I deem necessary to stop a violent crime against me.

Now, that said, if I were to call 911, frankly there's no way I'm going to subsequently march outside, armed, willingly placing myself in the sights of the inbound cavalry. That's too silly for words, IMO. I live fairly close to police, and response times are reasonably quick, here, on the edge of yuppie-ville.

I'm also of the opinion that insured items of moderate value simply aren't worth my life, if it came to that. Since it's not Texas we're speaking of, here, I'm also of the opinion that tens of thousands of dollars in cost to run through the legal shenanigans is simply not worth that small pile of insured items either.

In short: 911 for me.

Alter the scenario a bit, to where I'm already outside and note someone beginning to root around, I'd monitor, likely ask if that person could be helped, then respond accordingly depending on whether I was subsequently attacked. Have been in this sort of situation a couple of times, when a would-be thug was caught in the act and didn't much like the alternatives being presented. That was a long time ago. Times are changing. There are many recent crimes in my region that defy credence, rising to a level of violence wholly disconnected with the situation. THAT is the reality. I'm reasonably prepared to meet it, though there are certainly alternative choices to rushing to meet each and every situation without much regard to risk.

Basic equations for me:
    • Property crime that doesn't justify a death sentence in court doesn't in and of itself justify a deadly response from me. Add to that the obvious risks, over property that's likely insured ...
    • Person crime that seeks to damage me absolutely requires termination via the use of whatever force is required to stop it, up to and including the use of lethal force if that becomes necessary.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

First off, if your breaking into my car on my property you are at least 60 yards onto my property and basically in the middle of the actual 7 acres my house sits on. You've gone through the electric fence and the front gate which was closed and chained. Even if I was sleeping while you came on the propety Im gonna know since I have 3 dogs who will freak out.

Im gonna dial 911 and since Im positive it will be at least 10 minutes for the cops to get there, Im gonna have the loaded weapon with me and be waiting for you if you decide you wanna come in the house.

So no, Im not going outside armed to confront anyone. Take what you want, I have insurance.

Are we talking one person? Then Ill probably try to identify you so I have a description for the cops.

If 2 or more, Im gonna sit tight and hope you dont try to come in cause those dogs are going to get you bad.

Ron
    In the scenario you posted, my answer is absolutley not. Neither I or my family are being threatened. My going out could unnecessarily escalate it into a use of deadly force situation with all the horrors that usually involves. Over what, a car that is insured? IMO, foolish to do anything but keep a close watch and call 911.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

You are home alone, your car is in the driveway. You hear noise outside, you look in the window you see a BG, it's getting dark. You have valuable things in the car.

I will answer the second quesiton first. If I am going outside, I am going to have my gun, whether it be in the day or in the middle of the night.

Now for the first part of your question. I have and will in the future I am sure, go outside if I hear my dogs barking in a manner that I know it isn't one of the neighborhood cats on the prowl.

I first look out the windows and see if I can see anything or anyone stirring. My garage windows are up high, two of the vehicles are usually in the garage, but one is left out always. I can see the top of the vehicle and whether or not the interior light is on from the door to the garage. If I can't see anything, I will usually go into the garage with the lights off and look further. With the street lights and lighting around the house, you can not really see into the garage from outside.

If I observe someone or something going on that is not supposed to be there, not necessarily just at my house, it could be around one of the neighbors houses also, I will exit my house from the opposite side that whatever is going on, and go around to investigate further. If it gets to the point that I am exiting the house, the wife has already woken up since she has heard me getting dressed. She always stays inside, and would be able to call the LEO's if necessary.

Of course I live in Texas, and here we can shoot folks after dark for simple criminal mischief, along with all the other "bad" crimes.

There has been an increase in burgalaries in our town recently and my neighbor to the rear has been broken into 2 times in the last 6 months. He works odd hours and often his wife is at home alone after dark. I hope she is one of the ladies that takes the CHL course with my wife in Dec. Criminals don't need to have free reign in or around my house or my neighbors.

I know many don't agree with this course of action, but it is something I have done long before even getting my CHL, and I don't intend on changing any time soon.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I'm with Sixto. Each situation is unique, but if it's just someone in my yard... a call to 911 would suffice. I'm not going to go outside for several reasons, not the least of which is the possibility that it escalates unnecessarily, the person(s) outside are not badguys, or they are badguys, and have accomplices with them.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

some did. I don't know what I would do. Most likely I would come out armed after calling the cops.
    If I went out armed, Id have to call the cops after I solved the problem. If the cops are comming why would I go out with my gun? If it was a forsure thing someone was going for my stuff I'd call the cops, if it was just a sound and not sure what it was Id be out checking with the 12g.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links