The Judge , My first session

The Judge , My first session

This is a discussion on The Judge , My first session within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I joined the forum recently and supplied an introductory comment that included the fact that I have a brand new, never fired, Taurus Judge. Several ...

Post The Judge , My first session

I joined the forum recently and supplied an introductory comment that included the fact that I have a brand new, never fired, Taurus Judge. Several of you replied saying to let you know how I liked the judge when I get around to using it.

Yesterday I proceeded out to a range near Kingman, AZ about 40 miles from where I live in Laughlin. Loaded up the Judge with 410 gauge shells and placed a target about 15 yards, aimed, and fired. Something did not feel right.

Tried for a second shot; gun is jammed. Can't get the cylinder to open. Messed around with it for a few minutes; a couple of people at the range came over to help; finally one suggested it needed to go to a gunsmith and suggested a gun shop in Kingman a few minutes away.

Turns out the 3" inch shell I used is not the proper shell; should be a 2.5" shell. Ok, how was I, a newbie, supposed to know that?

No markings on the weapon indicate what ammo to use. The booklet supplied with the gun didn't specify which ammo. Note, this is dual-caliber gun which shoots both .45LC and .410 gauge.

There is a parts breakdown chart in the back of the booklet that lists model number, barrel length, caliber, and other stuff in a table.

Ahhh, but there is no model number stamped on the gun so what model is this Judge I own?

The table indicates two model numbers that shoot .410 gauge as well as .45LC: a Model 410 and 413. For caliber, the Model 410 indicates .410ga & .45LC whereas the Model 413 indicates .410ga 3" and .45LC.

The gunshop guy called Taurus, and was told to use ".410 2.5 inch."

I took the gun back to the range with a fresh box of 2.5" shells and my box of .45LC. By this time the range was within 20 minutes of closing for the day so i quickly set up a target and fired a few 410 shells with no problems and 10 .45LC slugs. All but one .45 hit the target in a reasonable pattern (I have not fired a pistol since 1967). The .410 about peppered the whole target with shot. The pistol felt good and
    was fun to shoot. I think I will enjoy this revolver.

By the way I also called Taurus Customer service, last night. The rep, as soon as I started to explain the problem, interrupted that they were well aware of the issue with the .410 ammo and had several calls with similar stories. He said the factory was aware but he did not know of any remedy in the works. He also did not know there exists a Model 413; a Judge with a 3" cylinder as opposed to the 410 model with a 2.5" cylinder. He further stated "maybe it is only sold in Brazil". This morning, I have found one for sale on-line on gunbroker.com being sold out of Lawrenceville, GA. The current bid is $606.00. I'll stick with my $399.00 Model 410.

So, bottom line: the booklet supplied with the Taurus Judge leaves a lot to be desired. It attempts to cover all Taurus models by model number, never mentions the word "Judge" ( or "Tracker" or any of the other model common names they use for their guns in their promotions). Of course, 'Judge' is engraved on the barrel but no model number can be found.

The piece itself should have the model number engraved on it.

So if you're in the market, be sure what you're getting. There are versions of the Judge, i.e different finishes, a 3 or 6 inch barrel, an "ultra lite" version, a limited edition "no hammer spur' version (my gun), and now apparently, the Model 413 with a 3" cylinder in an ultralite frame.

Last edited by srfl; November 21st, 2008 at 08:05 PM.

Good report with an eye for detail exhibited here.

If I had the need for a .410 revolver I'd feel that the 2 1/2-inch .410 shell would be fundamentally as effective as a 3-inch shell. The capability to fire 3-inch shells would make the revolver more adaptable.

I'm thinking the revolver would be pretty pleasant to fire with the .45 Colt cartridge, a round that I personally like.

I could lay in a large supply of 2 1/2-inch .410 shells for the difference in the cost of that Model 413. I too would stick with the Model 410.

when the shell sicks out the end of the cylinder it is a good indicator that it is not the proper round for that firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosrob View Post
    when the shell sicks out the end of the cylinder it is a good indicator that it is not the proper round for that firearm.
    Or in shotgun if the shell unfired hits the end of cylinder then what happens when the end opens up,a 2 3/4" twelve gauge will chamber a 3" shell but firing it can cause dangerous overpressure possibly causing the gun to be damaged and maybe your face.I find it amazing that taurus doesn't specify length of shell in the instructions
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    A more realistic personal defense distance to test the effectiveness of your .410 shot shells would be 15' rather than 15 YDS.

thanks for the comments and suggestions

Very good report. Thank You
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Give us a report about penetration with a .410 at 15 feet. I doubt it's a man-stopper.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Give us a report about penetration with a .410 at 15 feet. I doubt it's a man-stopper.
    at 15 feet #4 shot barely penetrates a full milk jug, and buckshot will not go all the way through the same water filled jug

They do sell the 3" models here becuase there is one at my local gun shop. You'd think they'd print "for 2.5 inch shells only" like they do on shotguns???

Strange, well at least there was no major damage and no one was injured. Now you know what not to do. Thanks for the report.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosrob View Post
    You think? Actually the shell sold as 3" is actually 2 5/8" and fills the cylinder perfectly, but no room for expansion when fired, a fact i did not think about. Check out the 2.5 " shells also they are actually 2 and 3/8 " long.

further confusion

Just checked the Taurus website ' www.taurususa.com. Look at the revolvers the 410/45lc pieces have model numbers like i.e 4510tkr-3b
    w/2.5 chamber or 4510tkr-3ssmag W/410ga 3 " magnum. nothing like that in the booklet or on the revolver.
    i think Taurus is skitzo.

Administrator
    +1

All I can say is "go for the eyes"

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links