If gun jams

This is a discussion on If gun jams within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What should you do if a gun jams with an unfired round in the chamber, and you cannot clear it at the range? Can we ...

Thread: If gun jams

If gun jams

What should you do if a gun jams with an unfired round in the chamber, and you cannot clear it at the range?
    Can we assume that it will not discharge without 'help'?
    Can it be safely transported to the gunsmith, and how?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I always carry a small flathead screwdriver in my range bag in case this happens...that way I can pry the case out. If it was impossible to pry it out I would be really freaked but I would probably strip it and remove the barrel from the gun before trying to take it anywhere.

Just because the barrel was alone of course would not mean it is completely safe either...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Good idea, but I have a serious question? How would you do this if you had a Glock, since you have to "Dry fire" in order to take down the slide. I say this in the rare instance of having a live round in there.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    I always carry a small flathead screwdriver in my range bag in case this happens...that way I can pry the case out. If it was impossible to pry it out I would be really freaked but I would probably strip it and remove the barrel from the gun before trying to take it anywhere.

Just because the barrel was alone of course would not mean it is completely safe either...
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

In a Glock, if you pulled the trigger and the round didn't go off, you've already released the striker. It only takes a smidge to move the slide back enough to tear the gun down.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

True, I just guess I'm not that confidant to do that yet to put myself that close to a still possible live round. I do see your point though.. Thank you.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Just keep things away from the boom hole!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Now imagine that happening with a j-frame. I had a bullet creep out and jam the cylinder. Had to cut the bullet using a dremel and exatco knife so I could get the cylinder to swing out. Not fun.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

How about racking the slide again...and firing again?

If it won't come out, sounds like an extractor problem. You can either tap it out or use a small flathead screwdriver to pry it out--wouldn't take much force
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Unfired round in a semi, after two hits of the hammer?

Keep pointed in a safe direction with a firm grip, drop the mag, wait a minute, pull the slide back in a manner that if it does go off you will get minimal slide bite, keep moving the slide until you can see the primer if it is not extracted by the slide.

If it is dented suspect a squib, no dent, broken firing pin or primer sunk waaaay too deep.

Dented primer, release the slide, fire it again, maybe give the gun a little shake, wait a minute or three, disassemble.

No dent in the primer, disassemble the weapon, remove the round in the best way. THOROUGHLY inspect the weapon for any damage or malfunctions. Been there, done that, broken firing pin, but not lodged in the barrel.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

What do we do with obviously damaged cartridges ('bullets')? How to safely dispose?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInTexas View Post
    What do we do with obviously damaged cartridges ('bullets')? How to safely dispose?
    If you pull the bullet out of the cartridge and empty the powder it wouldn't be too dangerous. Also you can spray WD-40 on the primer to disable it.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Gunsmith

I get those kinds of jams at the shop every once in a while. Slide locked closed, gun broken, live round in the chamber. Please let the gunsmith or counter person know it's "loaded" when you drop it off, and in all honesty be prepared to pay a "PITA premium price" for having it cleared. When I have to deal with it sometimes I get worried and charge an extra $5 or so for it. Lots of reasons for that malfunction to happen, auto or revolver. I'd rather someone stop monkeying with the gun and bring it in to the range where I can work on it rather than risk messing with it and having an AD/ND. Best course of action if you're unsure.

I had a boss who's wife helped out in the shop from time to time. She knew zip about guns and left me a loaded Sigma to work on once. I didn't fire it, but I could have and almost did. I think her "help" was also the cause of a round of .22 snake shot being fired in the workshop one day (when I wasn't there). Point is, not all gunshop folks are gun folks.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    If you pull the bullet out of the cartridge and empty the powder it wouldn't be too dangerous.
    Is it safe to use pliers to do this? Grab the casing with one and the bullet with the other and twist/pull??

I think AD means accidental discharge, not sure bout ND.

Pliers can be a pain - use a kinetic bullet puller. The fire dept is happy to dispose of old or defective ammo.

ND - negligent discharge.

gerber works

on many an ocasion i have come across bad ammo.most often when im trying to qualify(better then than down range imho). i use my trusty gerber to pull the bullet then drain the powder into a safe container untill i can turn all three to the RSO.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Links