wait time in Florida

This is a discussion on wait time in Florida within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, I have two questions. First is there a wait time to purchase a firearm in Florida? Second If your in the Military how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wait time in Florida

wait time in Florida

Hey all, I have two questions. First is there a wait time to purchase a firearm in Florida? Second If your in the Military how long is the wait time for a conceal carry license?

Thanks in advance

Liam

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopmail98j View Post
    First is there a wait time to purchase a firearm in Florida?
    3 day wait to buy a handgun if you do not have your CCW, apparently in some counties it is a day or two longer than this.

NRA-ILA ::
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

when i applied for my ccw 2 years ago it took about 2 months if i remember right. and yeah its 3 day wait for pistols

Thanks guys,,,, they keep switching around my orders to where I am going next. The only thing I know for sure is that I will be in Pensacola for 4 months prior to going to my gaining unit. Have to love coming from a deployment. I just want to pick up a couple pistols before the president elect comes to office.

Liam

My next door neighbor just purchased his first pistol, for carry. I have been encouraging him for two years. Recent political situations persuaded him to begin the process for his CCW permit.

He sent in his application and forgot to include one item. He called the Dept of AG (they do the permits in FL) and was told not to worry about it...just send it in, because it would be at least 1.5-2 months before they even looked at his app.
    The CCW permit requests have 'gone through the roof'...they are extremely busy...which is great news for FL residents and bad news for FL BG's.

Stay armed...enjoy the sun...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Do the digital fingerprint thing as it speeds up the process.

Do you know where I can get that done? I will be in the Fort Myers area as well as the Pensacola area until April.

In Palm Beach County it's a 5 BUSINESS DAY wait for ANY firearm....handgun,rifle or shotgun unless you have ccw

Just bought a new gun in Miami, 5 day waiting period.

hoopmail98j, you can get it done in two places in Ft. Myers. Sheriffs dept. on Six Mile Cypress which is near Rt 41. Just call ahead as they have limited hours and days they will do them. Or you can goto the Sheriffs office at 121 Pondella Rd. in North Ft. Myers. That is where I went, they are VERY friendly there and will do them most any time.
    S&W M&P 9MM
    Keltec PF9

Thanks guys,,,, they keep switching around my orders to where I am going next. The only thing I know for sure is that I will be in Pensacola for 4 months prior to going to my gaining unit. Have to love coming from a deployment. I just want to pick up a couple pistols before the president elect comes to office.

Liam
    If your orders are to a permanent duty station outside of Florida, then you are NOT considered a Florida resident for the purpose of firearms transactions while stationed temporarily in Florida.

This is in 27 CFR 478.11, Definition of Terms:
    State of residence. The State in which
    an individual resides. An individual resides
    in a State if he or she is present in a State
    with the intention of making a home in that
    State. If an individual is on active duty as a
    member of the Armed Forces, the individual's
    State of residence is the State in
    which his or her permanent duty station is
    located.

Does that rule apply if you have a Florida License? I am a normal Florida Resident as my home of record/ for Taxes. Or if I have TDY Orders to Florida? Thanks for your help in advance

Does that rule apply if you have a Florida License? I am a normal Florida Resident as my home of record/ for Taxes. Or if I have TDY Orders to Florida? Thanks for your help in advance
    Since you have your Florida driver's license, anytime that you are physically residing in Florida, you can purchase a firearm there and your orders don't matter.

HOWEVER, after your TDY to Florida, once you move to a permanent duty station, let's say California... then you CANNOT come to Florida, say on vacation or leave, and legally purchase a firearm in Florida, because you are not actually residing in Florida at that point, you are visiting Florida, regardless of your Florida driver's license.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Since you have your Florida driver's license, anytime that you are physically residing in Florida, you can purchase a firearm there and your orders don't matter.

HOWEVER, after your TDY to Florida, once you move to a permanent duty station, let's say California... then you CANNOT come to Florida, say on vacation or leave, and legally purchase a firearm in Florida, because you are not actually residing in Florida at that point, you are visiting Florida, regardless of your Florida driver's license.
    Navy LT,

Can you cite the FL Statutes on that?

In addition, you do not have to be a FL resident to get a FL CWFL.
    Just send in the paperwork.

Then, who is going to refuse to sell you a gun with a FL DL and CWFL?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Navy LT,

Can you cite the FL Statutes on that?

In addition, you do not have to be a FL resident to get a FL CWFL.
    Just send in the paperwork.

Then, who is going to refuse to sell you a gun with a FL DL and CWFL?
    Nobody would refuse to sell him a gun with a FL driver's license and CWFL, however, if he did not meet the Federal definition of a resident of the state of Florida, he would be committing a Felony to purchase a firearm in FL, claiming to be a Florida resident.

No I cannot cite the FL Statutes on that, because it is a Federal Law. Federal Law requires one of two things to be a resident of a state for the purposes of firearms transactions:

1. An Active Duty ID card and orders specifying a state as a permanent duty station OR

2. Present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State.

So, I, myself am Active Duty military stationed to and residing in (once I return from Iraq) Washington. My driver's license is from Wyoming. I cannot purchase a firearm in Wyoming, according to Federal law, regardless of my driver's license or if I had a Wyoming CPL because I am not present in Wyoming with the intention of making Wyoming a home. Let's say that I even owned a home in Wyoming. Unless I was actually living in that home, I still could not legally purchase a firearm there if I was just visiting on leave.

Would an FFL sell to me in Wyoming? Yes they would, because of my Wyoming driver's license. Would I be guilty of committing a felony? Yes, I would, because I have violated 18 CFR 922 by stating on the 4473 that I was a Wyoming resident when I did not meet the definition of a resident according to Federal regulation.

It is in 27 CFR 478:
    State of residence. The State in which
    an individual resides. An individual resides
    in a State if he or she is present in a State
    with the intention of making a home in that
    State. If an individual is on active duty as a
    member of the Armed Forces, the individual's
    State of residence is the State in
    which his or her permanent duty station is
    located.
    Exceptions are long gun purchases from FFLs, IF I state my true state of residency on the 4473, which would be Washington, and the laws of both Wyoming and Washington allow me to purchase long guns in Wyoming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links