Glock 17 or 19?

Glock 17 or 19?

This is a discussion on Glock 17 or 19? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I carry a H&K P2000SK 9mm. It's the only 9mm I own. I'm thinking about buying a bigger 9mm just for shooting at the range ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 or 19?

Glock 17 or 19?

I carry a H&K P2000SK 9mm. It's the only 9mm I own. I'm thinking about buying a bigger 9mm just for shooting at the range because of the cost of 9mm.

I've got it narrowed down to a Glock 17 or 19. Other than being able to hold 2 more rounds does the 17 have any other advantages? Will the 17 shoot any better? Will the longer barrel be that much of an advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by sbebenelli View Post
    I've got it narrowed down to a Glock 17 or 19. Other than being able to hold 2 more rounds does the 17 have any other advantages? Will the 17 shoot any better? Will the longer barrel be that much of an advantage?
    Longer barrel (i.e., sight radius) is not really noticeable until you get beyond 25 yds or so. I carry both the G19 and G17 interchangeably, but carry the G17 when weather permits. I have large hands, so the longer G17 grip means the bottoms of my palms can clamp down on the gun too (with G19, the bottoms of my palms extend below the gun).

There's a big difference for me in shootability when shooting one handed -- I can get a much better grip with the G17.

Two handed shooting at normal range -- no real differences.

If it's just for the range, there's no reason not to go with the G17 IMO.

-Jeff-

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Yes, but by the same token if you think you might ever conceivably want to carry it concealed go for the G19 instead. That G17 grip is pretty huge.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member
    +1 on the G19, unless you have a situation like DGG9. I think the G19 is one of the best combinations of size, caliber and capacity available.

I don't try to buy guns just for range use anymore, I always end up wanting to carry them.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Cool

Well the G17 rocked the world of semi-auto handguns.........
    The G19 only excels as a carry gun..........unless handsize comes into play. I am a 9mm advocate and I carry a G19. Whatever you choose ,get some FACTORY 33rd mags............Oh what a hoot to shoot!

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    +1 on the G19, unless you have a situation like DGG9. I think the G19 is one of the best combinations of size, caliber and capacity available.

I don't try to buy guns just for range use anymore, I always end up wanting to carry them.
    +1. 19 is a great choice and I also have the habit of wanting to carry everything i own....once at least
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

I'd say the G19 would be more versatile for you. Nice little chunk of a pistol, I think it's the 'all-around' Glock. I carry all of my Glocks at one time or another. No "range guns" here, but as previously stated, and you shoot at 25yds or small steel, the G17 might have a slight advantage. Having two more rounds capacity won't do much for you at the range but eat up your ammo faster!

G19.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'd prefer a G17, even to carry, but a G19 would probably be easier to sell later on.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I would vote for the 19 just in case you ever wanted to carry the thing. It is still a "full size" pistol.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    G17 and if you want same magazine capacity buy magazine extention for your G26 so you can use your G17 magazines now you have more round
    capacity than the G19 and you are a bit smaller.Mag extension cost $12.95
    works well, makes G-26 grip very comfortable.

I think your going to hear people say that if they could have one gun it would be the Glock 19 or that the Glock 19 is the best Glock ever made. I have a 19 and I love it. It's one of my favorite guns to shoot. I would go with the 19 personally. But then again, I'm a bit biased.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There is no practical difference.

The G17 is .47" longer, .43" taller, and 1.05 ounces heavier (unloaded). In terms of practical realities, 1/2" just isn't enough to make a difference in performance or (really) concealment.

My advice is to get the one ya like! The G19 will shoot with the G17 and the G17 will conceal with the G19.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Sponsor
    I prefer the 17 over the 19 myself by a 2 to 1 margin.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links