Candlelight evening ...

Candlelight evening ...

This is a discussion on Candlelight evening ... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A few days ago, I took friends to the range; he has some experience with firearms, she had none and I was asked to teach ...

Thread: Candlelight evening ...

Candlelight evening ...

A few days ago, I took friends to the range; he has some experience with firearms, she had none and I was asked to teach her the basics of pistol shooting. We had covered the safety and technical topics earlier.
    There was a couple other shooters, who appeared quite experienced and were carrying.
    I had the lady shoot my wife big .357, 6" barrel loaded with mid-range .38. She was surprised how easy it was.

Then, as I usually do when we are by ourselves, I went to the shop and asked the range master if he could turn off the lights for a few minutes.
    He knows me and said OK; the two other guys looked at me and said "Do you mind if we come back in ?"
    Of course not.
    So we proceeded back in the range; pretty dark, not totally dark.
    We could see the outline of the targets.
    After we shot a magazine or two, I went back out and asked for the lights to be back on. The guys thanked me, saying they had never shot in low light and were amazed at the flash.
    My friends were surprised also but had limited experience.

I just cannot believe some people carry a SD gun and never practice in a condition likely to happen; the need to use a firearm to defend yourself is more likely to be at night and if you have never experienced it you will be surprised; depending on the gun and the ammo you can see a big ball of light that will startle you and can blind you for a few seconds ... not good.
    Revolvers make two pretty little wings of fire on the sides from the cylinder gap on top of the big ball of fire in front (the size of a pumpkin, with a short barrel .357 and practice ammo).

To be politically correct, I should add that if you want to practice "candlelight shooting" you have to positively identify your target and beyond.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Good post with good advice.

-Jeff-

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    A few days ago, I took friends to the range; he has some experience with firearms, she had none and I was asked to teach her the basics of pistol shooting. We had covered the safety and technical topics earlier.
    There was a couple other shooters, who appeared quite experienced and were carrying.
    I had the lady shoot my wife big .357, 6" barrel loaded with mid-range .38. She was surprised how easy it was.

Then, as I usually do when we are by ourselves, I went to the shop and asked the range master if he could turn off the lights for a few minutes.
    He knows me and said OK; the two other guys looked at me and said "Do you mind if we come back in ?"
    Of course not.
    So we proceeded back in the range; pretty dark, not totally dark.
    We could see the outline of the targets.
    After we shot a magazine or two, I went back out and asked for the lights to be back on. The guys thanked me, saying they had never shot in low light and were amazed at the flash.
    My friends were surprised also but had limited experience.

I just cannot believe some people carry a SD gun and never practice in a condition likely to happen; the need to use a firearm to defend yourself is more likely to be at night and if you have never experienced it you will be surprised; depending on the gun and the ammo you can see a big ball of light that will startle you and can blind you for a few seconds ... not good.
    Revolvers make two pretty little wings of fire on the sides from the cylinder gap on top of the big ball of fire in front (the size of a pumpkin, with a short barrel .357 and practice ammo).

To be politically correct, I should add that if you want to practice "candlelight shooting" you have to positively identify your target and beyond.
    Can't you lose your CCW permit for this?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Can't you lose your CCW permit for this?
    Who said I have one
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

At the Rangemaster courses in Memphis, Tom Givens routinely turns the lights down (not out) to demonstrate to participants the necessity of having low light skills, and to allow students to see the muzzle flash under said conditions. Excellent training.

Great post, and spot on mate.

I do "Night Shoots" just for this reason, and also carry a flashlight 24/7.

Biker

Sponsor
    The central Fla. course we are setting up will have students returning Sat evening after a dinner break for a few hours of low light shooting with and without flashlights.

I get out to the desert for some low light/no light training on occasion. It's good to know your limitations in this type of environment.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Links