Shooting with both eyes open

This is a discussion on Shooting with both eyes open within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I focus on the target with both eyes and bring the gun into my sight plane. The rear sight notch and front sight are a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting with both eyes open

I focus on the target with both eyes and bring the gun into my sight plane. The rear sight notch and front sight are a bit fuzzy, but clear enough to sight a target easily. This was how I was taught to shoot, whether using a pistol, rifle, or scoped rifle.

Shooting from a bench rest is a totally different thing...the above applies when hunting or under pressure to make a shot. Sort of instinctive for me now...I learned this at age 6 when my uncle taught me to shoot. That's been a "few" years ago...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

2. Remove Ads

Unhappy Me too

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Well - much as I have tried to manage two eyes open shooting - it still has not come to my satisfaction and I know darned well in a stress situation - I revert anyways to closing left eye - ingrained habit!

I shot so much bullseye way back - long range rifle first and then years of handgun and .22 target as well. Old habits do die hard!

I tried with shotgunning to really break the habit and for a while thought I had but - no - it crept back and so I accept it - maybe too darned late in this old life to manage it.

All that said, I still try and practice point shooting methods where in fact we are not sighting - and doing this from close retention is I think a very valuable excercize.
    ~SIGH~ I am exactly the same way. Shot so much composite Bullseye for my Division team on active duty with Olympic coaches and weapons....it just "took." The only time I'm really able to keep both eyes open without really concentrating on doing so is when I use a carbine with some sort of Holosight or aimpoint attached.

I try to use the close retention shot also as good practice and close point shooting on IDPA courses of fire.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Aaron what are you tying to say? That I am getting old?
    Well you are right. I had to break down and start wearing reading glasses not to long ago. But this has always been a problem for me.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_1
    I need some help from all of you out there that shoot with both eyes open. When trying to aim my pistol with both eyes open my eyes cross and I see double. Is there some trick I am missing? I am right handed and right eye dominant. I know the tactical advantages to shooting with both eyes open and would love to over come this problem. Any help will be much appreciated.
    Mike
    Mike,

Todd Jarret talks about this issue and suggests putting clear Scotch tape over the lens of the non-shooting eye to train the eyes. Presumably, once the eye is trained, it stays trained, at least we can hope it will.

I think there's a couple of things that can cause the problem you describe. One is which is the dominant eye, which you have already determined, but two, which is something I have experienced, is my non-dominant eye sees sharply in the distance and when I focus on my front sight with my dominant eye, sometimes the left eye (in my case) kinda takes over. However it's rarely a problem for me now, maybe training or vision changes has helped.

I do think it's a good idea to train yourself to shoot with both eyes open, because in a life threatening situation I suspect most of us are going to have both eyes open and bugging out! It may be impossible to close one eye to obtain a sight picture in a life threatening situation.

I agree with Tange, in a firefight would you really want to close off your area of vision just to take a shot? I think not!

I know some other people have mentioned this but when you shoot what is your main focal point? For me personally I shoot with both open but if I begin to notice double vision I know that I've begun to focus more on the target instead of my front sight.
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Try this one guys I am a longrange shooter and I have my ccw. Problem is I am left eye dominant and right handed . merlin45kout

Question IWB for M92

Quote Originally Posted by merlin45k
    Try this one guys I am a longrange shooter and I have my ccw. Problem is I am left eye dominant and right handed . merlin45kout
    Merlin45k, you still interested in that Blade Tech IWB for the Model 92? Make me an offer dude! Just include some postage....Hey, let's DEAL!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    You mean we are supposed to open our eyes when we shoot ???

d2thomas when I am focused on the target with both eyes open I have noticed I can bring the sights up in alignment with the target and as long as I maintain focus on the target I can see the sights but they are real blurry. But as soon as I change focus to the front sight I have two targets to aim at.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I see....well I've got nothing! I was going to suggest focusing on the front sight but I see that is the begining of your troubles!

Sorry friend!
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

Thanks for the help anyway d2thomas. By the way how is the weather up in Michigan? My wife grew up in the U.P. so we have made many trips to Michigan. I just love it up there. Although the Winters can be a little harsh.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

This winter has been really mild, at least in the southwest........Right now there is no snow on the ground, and it's in the 40's - odd for mighican. We've only had a few storms in which it really piled up. I can't speak for the UP, it's like a totally different world up there compared to lower michigan.
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

That's the truth
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links