Shooting with both eyes open

This is a discussion on Shooting with both eyes open within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I need some help from all of you out there that shoot with both eyes open. When trying to aim my pistol with both eyes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting with both eyes open

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Shooting with both eyes open

I need some help from all of you out there that shoot with both eyes open. When trying to aim my pistol with both eyes open my eyes cross and I see double. Is there some trick I am missing? I am right handed and right eye dominant. I know the tactical advantages to shooting with both eyes open and would love to over come this problem. Any help will be much appreciated.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    I used to always shoot with both eyes open and never had any problems. As I have gotten older I find I have to close one to get a clear sight picture. I guess, for me, it's just a fact of life. You might want to ask your eye doctor next time you get a checkup.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Id like to know to.. I have never been able to shoot both eyes open be it handgun or rifle

OK so now I'm not feeling like the lone ranger here. Same with rifles and shotguns here Bud. I shot Skeet every weekend through my teens with my father and could never do it with both eyes open. Very frustrating for me.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    If you just extend your arm & put your thumb up and look only at your thumb...do you see one thumb or two?
    You should only be looking at and focusing on your handgun front sight with both eyes...and your intended target should look blurry.
    Sometimes if you try to keep BOTH the front sight AND your target both in focus at the same time then you'll see double front sights.

BTW: Shooting with one eye closed is still much better than shooting with both eyes closed...which is what my wife used to do right before she pulled the trigger.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I just see one thumb. When I focus on the front sight I see two targets. This presents a problem when trying to move from one target to another. I don't know which to aim at the left or right. No problem at all with just right eye.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Lead Moderator
    practice sighting with your aiming eye, then once sight picture is achieved, open the other eye. sometimes I shoot with the front red dot cover closed. You need both eyes open to see the target/red dot. Occasionally I need to blink once to get a sight picture doing this.

Administrator
    I know it can be very frustrating trying to work through various vision problems.

Just One Good Suggestion:
    You obviously cannot depend on this 100% but, you seem like you sure would be an IDEAL candidate for either an internal Lasermax or an external Crimson Trace Laser Sight added to your carry handgun.
    That sure would nicely get you through any Real Life Self Defensive Situations that you might find yourself facing...because with the laser...you only need to look at the target and The Red Dot On The Target and you'll not need to focus on the handgun at all.
    That sure would help you out a big bunch.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I shoot with both eyes open, but I have my left eye slightly squinted as to put more emphasis on my right.

Assistant Administrator
    Well - much as I have tried to manage two eyes open shooting - it still has not come to my satisfaction and I know darned well in a stress situation - I revert anyways to closing left eye - ingrained habit!

I shot so much bullseye way back - long range rifle first and then years of handgun and .22 target as well. Old habits do die hard!

I tried with shotgunning to really break the habit and for a while thought I had but - no - it crept back and so I accept it - maybe too darned late in this old life to manage it.

All that said, I still try and practice point shooting methods where in fact we are not sighting - and doing this from close retention is I think a very valuable excercize.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

What I have to do is keep both eyes open as the pistol comes up on target and just close left eye, acquire my target, shoot, open left eye and scan and move for next target. It works but was hoping for some trick I had not learned yet. Guess it is just something I will have to deal with.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Lead Moderator
    try the drill I suggested in your home, it may help once you get your eye trained.

I will give it a try Rocky thanks.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

It really all depends upon the type of shooting that one is doing as to whether or not using one eye is superior to two eyes.

As mentioned by P95 and others - for doing "extreme" target shooting - ala PPC or NRA target shooting - it is almost ALWAYS done with only one eye. Shooting with one eye is really the ONLY way to get the kind of accuracy one needs for those types of shooting disciplines.

On the other hand - for CCW shooting applications - using one eye can be a serious liability - as it severely restricts one's ability to maintain situational awareness. By closing one eye you just "shut off" 50% of what the brain can see and process. That makes it easier for bad guys to flank you and overtake you. That’s bad.

So - for CCW applications (actually any armed encounter when one is armed with a handgun) - there really are about 5 "levels of focus" or "zones of focus". And remember - our "target area" is larger than a paper plate! We do not need to have all of our rounds land in the same hole - in fact - we WANT some "spread" to our shots - you know - more holes - means more air in and more blood out.

The first is from 0-3 meters (on average). At this range one's focus will be ENTIRELY on the bad guy. The body will "index" the handgun on target through repetitious training before hand. The handgun may not even be up in the area for the eyes to see the handgun at all.

The second zone is from about 3-5 meters. Here the focus will STILL be almost 100% on the bad guy - but the eyes will see the gun in "peripheral" vision - and will see the gun pointed at the bad guy. The gun is probably up in the "cone of vision" - and is easily seen.

The third zone is from about 5-10 yards. Here the focus starts to shift to the sights - and the eyes see the sights clearly (but not 100% focused on the sights either).

The fourth zone is from 10-25 yards. Here the focus is more on the sights - and one needs good trigger control too. This is where a "squint" of the non-shooting eye may be in order.

The last zone is 25 + meters. Here the focus is 100% on the front sight - with breathing control and perfect trigger squeeze. In this instance one may very well have one eye closed.

Hope this helps,

cheers

tire iron

edited for spelling
    Last edited by tire iron; January 8th, 2006 at 05:10 PM.

I have had no trouble shooting with both eyes open. I am 35 so my eyes may not be suffering the affect of age yet. If it is a "problem" you may seek advice from, an eye doctor. It may very well be the fact that you are focusing on a close object, the front site, and the back ground image just can't be "focused." Some thing a parallax problem on some old range finder cameras.

Forgive me if I did not explain this well.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links