Another day at the range

This is a discussion on Another day at the range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got invited to join ccw9mm and larefugee at the range today. I was only going to go if it was not raining. And in ...

Thread: Another day at the range

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Another day at the range

I got invited to join ccw9mm and larefugee at the range today. I was only going to go if it was not raining. And in Oregon this time of year, that is a rarity. But, it did not rain today.

Was supposed to have a friend of mine, my son, his friend and a lady friend (Linda) join us. ccw9mm was to bring the beer...at 10 am....

Everyone but my lady friend canceled. She was kind of excited about learning to shoot. I later found out that her dad used to shoot and reload but never taught her. It was no big deal to her that I carried as she was around guns all her life.

We met at the local Kmart. It was nice to put another face to a name. We all caravaned to the gun club. On the way, I started Linda's training. We discussed the four safety rules. I "encouraged" her to not be insulted or huffy if I yelled at her to "keep your finger off the trigger" as this is a very common beginner's mistake. She assured me she would not take offense. She asked why I was being so adamant. I told her I just don't want her shooting anyone by accident. She agreed that was a noble cause.

At the range we found a bay and set up. It was cold. Not only was it cold, but the dampness made it worse. I don't deal with cold well and my fingers started losing blood and going numb. Ugh. I put on 10 layers of clothing but was still freezing. It is hard to shoot with your trigger finger numb.

I taught Linda some basics about holding the gun, aiming, trigger control, etc. I used my .22 conversion kit and she fired some .22s through my Glock 19. After the first few, she was starting to like it. We then set up some targets and she graduated to 9mm. The difference in recoil surprised her a bit but she did OK. At about 15 feet, out of 12 rounds, she put all but 3 in the A zone. Not bad.

In one session, Linda fired all the rounds, removed the magazine and still having the slide open, she turned around to return the gun to the table. Not thinking about muzzle direction, she kinda, sorta pointed the gun up range at ccw9mm and larefugee. ccw9mm eyes bugged out, "requested" that she point the gun down range, I turned her arm and everyone was happy. Linda asked what she did. We explained and it all made sense. She apologized. She now understood the safety rule a bit better. The joke of the day, if you could call it that, was she would say, "Hey, I didn't shoot anyone." I would counter, "No, but you did point the gun at two people."

larefugee was shooting a Glock 19 (I knew I was going to like him) and was shooting low and to the left. I was thinking he was flinching but it turns out that his sights and laser pointer are both not sighted in correctly. Something I am sure he will remedy soon.

We did some shotgun shooting. Linda tried, but she couldn't hold the gun up. I am thinking it was the sweater, jacket and 5 layers of clothing. We may have to revisit it.

I fired a few rounds through ccw9mm's SBR shotgun. The target I was aiming at had a 12" hole in the center. It was quite impressive. Later that afternoon, I asked Linda if she was going to tell anyone she went shooting. She works at a university populated with liberal democrat types. I was thinking that target with the whole in it would have been a great souvenir to take to school to show everyone what she did. I bet that would have raised an eyebrow or two. Unfortunately, we did not take it with us. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Linda and I went out to lunch afterwards and I asked her if she would buy a gun. She said she couldn't shoot anyone, even if being attacked. Probably best she not have one, then. At least not until she gets the proper mindset.

The restaurant we had lunch at was right next to a gun store. We went in afterwards. It was extremely crowded. Mostly men, but a significant number of woman. We, uh, er, I mean I, looked at AR15s (S&W going for about $1400) and a Glock 30SF. I could get it $35 cheaper at another store and they wouldn't price match, otherwise I would have bought that one. Hey, that is two boxes of ammo.

Speaking of ammo, they had plenty. However, I don't think $15/box for 9mm is a good price for UMC 115 gr. OTOH, nobody else in the city has any current stock. Except for Walmart but they were 20-30 miles away.

All in all, except for the cold, it was a good shooting day. I know ccw9mm was pleased as I didn't break any of his guns today.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Awsome. Glad to hear you had a good day at the range. :)
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I don't deal with cold well and my fingers started losing blood and going numb. Ugh. I put on 10 layers of clothing but was still freezing. It is hard to shoot with your trigger finger numb.
    Glad I brought those wool gloves, then. But, there was this inscribed series of letters on the cuffs, when I got them home: e.m.p.

At about 15 feet, out of 12 rounds, she put all but 3 in the A zone.
    She did really well! Hey, many days, I can't claim they all went into a handspan at ~7yds (if I'm shooting quickly). To do so on the first time out is great.

Not thinking about muzzle direction, she kinda, sorta pointed the gun up range at ccw9mm and larefugee. ccw9mm eyes bugged out, "requested" that she point the gun down range, I turned her arm and everyone was happy.
    Well, look at the bright side: it was another opportunity to review the four primary gun safety rules. We started the session with them, we covered it a couple times during, and we didn't have any issues after the "muzzle" incident.

L -- Loaded: A gun is always loaded. Treat it that way.
    M -- Muzzle: Only point the muzzle at what you're prepared to destroy.
    F -- Finger: Only place your finger on the trigger when you're ready to shoot.
    T -- Target: Know your target and what's beyond it.

We did some shotgun shooting ... but she couldn't hold the gun up. I am thinking it was the sweater, jacket and 5 layers of clothing.
    Well, it could also have been the fact that her arms are ~8" shorter than mine, and I find the 870P's length of pull about 1" too long. The Gore-Tex jacket didn't help, though, you're right.

She said she couldn't shoot anyone, even if being attacked.
    Oops. Our earlier discussion, then, about the relative size of wound channels delivered by #8 shot versus #00 Buck was probably a bit disconcerting. Pass along our profuse apologies.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I need to put these sights on my Glock

I don't care who you are, That's funny!

When the world is blowing sideways right in front of you, it's the time for BirdMan "Gangsta" sights! Fits all Glocks, Colts, SIGs and Kahrs. Available next to the 40oz'ers at your corner Handi-Mart.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links