Can I buy a firearm with reckless driving?

This is a discussion on Can I buy a firearm with reckless driving? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I made a mistake couple months ago, and got charged with reckless driving. My punishment was a fine and probation for a year. I checked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I made a mistake couple months ago, and got charged with reckless driving. My punishment was a fine and probation for a year. I checked with my probation officer, and I am still allowed to carry and have firearms in my possession.

My question comes from me wanting to buy another firearm, however I am not sure if i am legally able to purchase a gun at the moment due to these laws about people who can't buy a firearm:

Have been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;

A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm. Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information. [18 U. S. C. 922( g) and (n), 27 CFR 178.32( a) and (b)

Does anyone know if I am still eligible to make a firearm purchase?
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

id say you could, theres only one way to find out though.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

If you were sentence for a year or more and then suspended, that would be probably be a no

A Felony crime is defined as any crime where the potential sentence is greater (366 days or more) than one year imprisonment. The actual sentence received does not matter. It could all be suspended.
    Your incident sounds like a traffic misdemeanor. However, your State might impose some sort of penalty for any recent misdemeanor offense, within the past year. Check it out with an FFL.

Thanks for the help, there is a gun show coming to my area soon and i have some money burning a hole in my pocket.... I just didn't want any surprises, so i will have to check with a dealer I guess
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

We all get speeding tickets 'once in a while'...once in a dozen years for me." It was all the Harley's fault."

Let me poise a friendly question or two...

If you're reckless with an automobile, how would you prove yourself any better with a firearm? One mistake with a vehicle can be costly, as I'm sure you have since found out, but a mistake with a firearm could be devastating...might even cost you some of your 'freedom'.

With a permit and a firearm, how would your judgement on correct behavior be different?
    This is not a question for you to answer on this forum, but rather something for you to contemplate in your own mind.

If the sentence was more than one year, then I believe you have quoted the answer...other than that, I'd be contacting an attorney well-versed in these matters.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Stay armed...hopefully, you'll be able to...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would say you will be good to go! A speeding ticket isn't a crime.

I'm wondering how the word "reckless" is defined in your state. Is it changing lanes without signaling?

As mentioned earlier the word "reckless" and firearms shouldn't go together.

VIP Member
    Simple enough for you to find out, go to your local gun store and have them run a NIC check on you, Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks, and will answer the question before wasting your time going to the gun show and trying to purchase there.

Depending on state laws reckless driving can be anything from excessive speed, swerving in and out of traffic during rush hour causing a hazard, even exceeding the speed limit in a school zone. Slow down and drive safely. Good luck.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

a year's probation has nothing to do with the firearm standard of a year's jail time. I doubt that a reckless driving charge could carry a year's jail time, so it sounds like you are good to go.

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    I made a mistake couple months ago, and got charged with reckless driving. My punishment was a fine and probation for a year. I checked with my probation officer, and I am still allowed to carry and have firearms in my possession.
    If the traffic offense wasn't enough to lose your right to carry and possession, I very much doubt if it would affect your right to purchase.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    As a former LEO allow me to say that with the exception of DWI, traffic offenses will not disqualify you from owning/buying a gun. The form you fill out asks about crimes punishable by sentences exceeding one year.These are felonies and theres no way you can be sentenced to over a year for reckless driving. The maximun penalty is typically 90 days in jail but rarely given.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Administrator
    You should be fine, unless there was another criminal offense attached to the reckless, but it sounds as if there was not.

On a side note, a FFL should not run a NICS check just for giggles. That can land them in hot water, the systems is supposed to be used for its intended purpose only.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Here in Virginia, one can have the State Police run a background check on themselves. The cost is $15 and it is the same check(minus any national checks) the dealers or county clerks of the court run when you purchase a gun or apply for a concealed carry permit. I wound up doing that when I applied for my permit because a county investigator said I had a misdemeanor conviction in 1974. I didn't, and the whole thing was pointless anyhow because it wouldn't have mattered if I did have one.

I had a similar situation, I didn't know if I could legally own a pistol, so I went to the store a tried to buy one: no problem. I had 3years of probation, they let me go after 1.5y.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links